Computers > General Discussion

Cursor freezes - Windows 7

(1/5) > >>

ideasguy:
My HP W7 computer goes into sleep mode when left for a short period - a blank screen.
On return a shake of the mouse usually wakes it up.
Sometimes, perhaps if its a longer period, the Mouse freezes.
Keyboard is fully enabled.
I did a quick surf and found loads of questions from people reporting the same problem on the same subject, but no definitive answers.
One suggestion was to unplug the Mouse (USB port) and plug it in again. That works :D

Rather than trawl again for more info, I wondered if any of our members have a solution to prevent this freezing "feature".

NightHawk:
My computer setup George is a Dell laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium Edition,  and I have a wireless mouse.

I have it configured to go into sleep mode whenever I close the lid.

When I open the lid again I enter a password to unlock the screen which then goes straight to the Desktop and it's ready to go.
I've never had any mouse freezing issues with my current computer.

There are various options to set through your Control Panel for Power saving, which is available for laptop or Desktop PCs.

I have found in the past that having screensavers running can cause freezing problems.  I used to have a screensaver on my old Desktop PC which had Windows 7 and I had random freezing when I moved my mouse to deactivate the screensaver.  Disabling the screensaver eliminated that problem for me.

All I can suggest George is to go through different options in your Power Saving Preferences and see which configuration works best for you, without freezing.

I trawled the Internet for solutions to my screen freezing problem, but no-one seemed to have a specific answer to suit everyone.  One solution worked for some people, a different solution worked for others.

Trial and error for now I would suggest George, unless any of our other members can offer anything else, or failing that an Internet search maybe  :-\

ideasguy:
Thanks for that Laurie.
Its rather odd. Went out to the garden for an hour in the afternoon. Returned, shook the mouse and all was well.

Looked at my settings.
Control Panel

Personalisation
Screensaver:- None

Power Options
Options are:

* Balanced
* Power saver
* High performanceMine was set at 1)
Clicked Change Plan Settings
Turn off display - set at 10 mins
Put the computer to sleep - set at 20 mins.
I changed this setting to Never. Lets see if the problem reoccurs

ideasguy:
No problems since setting the Put the computer to Sleep to Never.

To complete the exercise, I'll leave it for a few days more and then set it to a value again and see if the problem re-occurs.

NightHawk:
That's usually the best way to go George.

Methodically go through the settings to try and isolate the offending one.

It can be a bit of a pain - I know because I've had to do that several times in the past, but you don't have many other options.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version