Author Topic: Another newbie  (Read 2931 times)

Offline terryb

Another newbie
« on: November 07, 2012, 01:38:08 PM »
Hi there

My name is Terry and I've just "come over" to Bank Genie Pro 4. I had been using Quicken version 3.0 (yes, 3.0) for many years - firstly as the Treasurer of a busy Social Club (it was particularly good at dealing with VAT returns) then when I retired I kept it going for my own bank accounts. Now I'm treasurer of a retirement group and I've been using it for that (no VAT thank goodness!).

Aware that my WinXP machine won't go on for ever, I thought I'd better find something to future-proof my accounts, so here I am.

I'm pretty impressed with BGP but the one thing I do find irksome is the way I have to click through menus to get to my account registers. It's not a big thing, but Quicken used to take me there straight away, with pop-ups asking about scheduled payments/receipts. Now I have to clear the schedule of regular transactions before I can select a register. I expect I'll get used to it.

The next big challenge will be preparing the end of year accounts for the retirement group. I'll have to get to grips with P&L groups which may slow me down a bit! ;)

NightHawk

Re: Another newbie
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 01:53:34 PM »
Welcome to the Forum Terry.

I can't answer your questions about Bank Genie as I don't use it.  In fact I don't use any accounting software, so it's nothing personal against BG  :D

George will answer any queries you may have.  He welcomes feedback on all of his software, which he uses to add new features and improve functionality.

We also encourage participation in all Forum topics - not just relating to the software.

Good luck and we hope to hear more from you.

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 02:04:15 PM »
Hello and welcome to the forum Terry!
I didn't know you were such a busy person  :) I'm impressed ;)

Will you be using Bank Genie Pro in your capacity as treasurer of the retirement group?

Thank you taking up my cue to post the topic about what Bank Genie should do on start-up.
Currently there is an option Process standing orders on start-up in Preferences.
RE (your comments above):
Now I have to clear the schedule of regular transactions before I can select a register
I presume you have that option Process standing orders on start-up turned on?

In the next version, I can provide a choice of programs to run on start-up.
I know the Process standing orders on start-up option is favoured by a number of users.
Per your suggestion, I could add a new choice:
Start the program Manage Transactions (BS421) on start-up

To our Bank Genie users:
Two choices are mentioned above. Does anyone have a requirement to start an alternative program on start up (e.g. the Net Worth program?)

The easy solution is to allow a choice of one of the above. Would that be OK?

Offline terryb

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 07:17:15 PM »
Hello George

Yes, I am using the software for the retirement group accounts.

I do have Process standing orders on start-up turned on and I'm sure I'll soon get used to it. It's really just a matter of getting into the swing of new software after 20+ years of Quicken.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 11:20:45 PM »
Its nice to read that you have such an admirable application in addition to your own accounts, Terry.

Now you've made such a good start, just keep exploring.
I made extensive use of right click functionality in Bank Genie.
When you right click in a list of transactions, a short cut menu appears giving you options to additional features.
Right click on buttons which I felt needed explained and a shortcut will allow you to view Help text, or a targeted link to the User Guide (Ive been working on it this past week and more).

When I speak to new users on the phone, I'm confident they are up and running when they have exposed the help in relation to Exclude, Include and Reconciling Statements in the Manage Transactions program, and can use those features. Then its time to play with the features in the Transaction Analyser program, again by right clicking around the screen.