Computers > General Discussion

Cloud technology

(1/3) > >>

bossgard:
George,

All of this discussion about Cloud seems to be coming together quite rapidly.

As you might remember, I am using software put out by Nuance, called PaperPort 14. For me its is a very useful program that allows me to scan newspaper and magazine clippings by my favorite garden writers into a format that aids me in posting them on this Forum, and also allows me to save that information in various folders I create, and be able to search for them, by subject matter, author, key words, etc.

The Kubota postings are done with the aid of PaperPort14 and M/S Excel.

In PaperPort’s latest version 14, was included a few surprises that appeared on my Task Bar. In checking with the updated Paperport14 User Guide the following information is given: (The text data following was scanned by using PaperPort14, it’s not perfect but can be edited into Microsoft’s Word. I’ve got a long way to go to master the software.) Is it possible for me to share these scannings by using the Cloud, to members/users, as you are suggesting with the Master DataBase?

Connecting to the Cloud
PaperPort 14 introduces support for Cloud computing - accessing and working with web-based storage sites for programs, documents and data.

PaperPort Anywhere
This is a program delivered with all variants of PaperPort to access Cloud storage provided by Nuance. Start it from the PaperPort group in the Windows Start menu. Its Wizard interface guides you to set up an account for the Nuance web site, define an inbox for PaperPort in the Cloud and PaperPort folders to be synchronized with that inbox. This means all files in the local folder are transferred to the Cloud and all files added to the local PaperPort folder. In this way the two folders remain in synch. A control top-right lets you pause and resume syncronization and to sign out from the Cloud or sign back in. Similar synchronization can be established between mobile devices and the Cloud, thus allowing PaperPort contents to be accessed and supplemented on the move.

Nuance Cloud Connector
This is a self-standing program delivered with all variants of PaperPort, whose installation is optional. When installed, it can be started from the Nuance Cloud Connector group in the Windows Start menu. It provides access to other popular storage sites in the Cloud, including Microsoft Live SkyDrive, GoogleDocs, Box.net, multiple FIT sites, and many more. Its interface lets you establish connections from your file system to and from chosen Cloud sites; it also manages passwords and log-in data.

Evernote Connector
This is a new connector inside PaperPort 14, appearing as an icon on the Send To bar. This allows files to be dragged onto the icon so their copies are transferred to the Evernote storage site. Send To options can be used to specify access data.

I have opened a free account with Nuance Cloud. Like you say, 'hyperdrive'.

Palustris:
This very dim person did not understand one word of that"

ideasguy:
Hi Toby

RE:

--- Quote ---Nuance Cloud Connector...
It provides access to other popular storage sites in the Cloud, including Microsoft Live SkyDrive, GoogleDocs, Box.net, multiple FIT sites, and many more.
--- End quote ---
Those storage sites on the cloud are alternatives to Dropbox.

RE:

--- Quote ---Is it possible for me to share these scannings by using the Cloud, to members/users, as you are suggesting with the Master DataBase?
--- End quote ---

Yes you can Toby.
However, they will need to download and install the "client" software for the same Cloud storage site as you - i.e. if you go for SkyDrive, then they will need to install SkyDrive as well.
You then have to invite each person to share your cloud folder. They will get a notification email. They then have the option to accept.
Once they accept, sharing can begin.

If Nuance offer Dropbox as an Option, please choose that and I can do some trials with you so you can see how it works (as I already have it installed).

Hi Eric
Its something new to me as well, even though its been around for a few years now.

To all members:
Anyone using Cloud storage other than Dropbox?

bossgard:

George, moving the posting is certainly fine by me!

Eric, I know what you mean, I’m a ‘dim’ person too! That’s why I posted it. Oh, I forgot, and left this one off the list of the Paperport14 posting. What’s a GAAIHO COLLABORATION?

Recently I read where PC’s as we know them, are tomorrow’s IPads. On my PC, my operating system is still Windows XP, my Microsoft Office Suite is dated 2003. I’m perfectly happy using them. They do the job for me, but I do want to continue to be able to communicate with the world, so it’s IPads, IPods, Clouds, Apps, etc, etc, etc. The technology manufacturers are going to push, push and push for you (and me) to spend our money.

Do you want to keep up? What are you going to do when you can’t post your pictures anymore? Or communicate with your Aunt Mabel that lives half way around the world?

Yet, it all intrigues me. I still want to learn, I still want to use my brain. I recently lost a friend who was in a nursing home, who according to the doctors, only had half of his brain cells left active. That frightens me! I want to be able to still communicate, talk, and think in tomorrow’s world? I believe using a computer is one of the best ways to keep the brain going. In case you don’t know it, I am a Senior type of person, with a another birthday approaching in November.

I also what to support George and his gardening and banking software. Let’s see what George has in mind with his ideas of Cloud communication!

(To George; yes Dropbox is an option. I am supposed to receive several emails with instructions. I will work through those first! I hope I can understand them.)

NightHawk:

--- Quote from: ideasguy on October 17, 2012, 12:05:28 AM ---To all members:
Anyone using Cloud storage other than Dropbox?

--- End quote ---
As I discussed in a new Board I recently created in Computers / Tablet PCs, I use a form of 'cloud' storage provided by Apple.

After purchasing my new Apple iPad they allow you 5GB of FREE storage on their servers for your documents, photos, video files, etc.

This allows you to access all of this media from any other device you have, wherever you are.  So, armed with your iPhone, iPad, Desktop PC/Laptop you can upload/download data to iCloud and then access it on whichever device you wish.

The technology sounds the same as Dropbox, but this is Apple's offering to make optimum use of their 'mobile' devices.

Laurie.

P.S.  One thing that concerns me after reading the Privacy Policy of Dropbox is how the personal information you provide them is/can be used, and the automatic logging of data from the devices you use on their service.

I personally haven't used this company so I can't speak with any degree of authority.  It's just something to be aware of when using ANY online storage facility, and read their Privacy Policies carefully.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version