Author Topic: Planting Rhododendrons.  (Read 3702 times)

Tom

Planting Rhododendrons.
« on: January 30, 2009, 01:55:33 PM »
I have some thoughts on planting and aftercare of rhododendrons which might be of interest to any of you who may be planting rhododendrons soon. There are some basic rules to follow.
1. Prepare the ground well, most rhododendrons are happy in light ,well aerated soil. If you are planting large hybrids or species make the hole deep and wide, if your topsoil is shallow take it out and set it aside, remove and discard the subsoil, I would then mix the topsoil with Peat and leaf-mould if you have it, or Ericaceous compost.
2 If your new plant comes in a pot gently free the roots from the compost. I try to get it back to looking like a bare-root plant. When you come to plant it you want to be able to spread the roots out close to the surface. If you have prepared the ground well you should be able to  scoop the soil out with your hands.
3. Some people think Rhododendrons are tricky to grow because unfortunately they have unknowingly killed them during planting. Rhododendrons do not like compaction, even large plants do not need heeling in, all that does is kill the delicate feeding roots which sit just beneath the surface.
4. Scoop out the soil, place your plant in the centre of the hole , make sure you do not plant it deeper than the nursery line of the pot. Spread out the roots and cover with soil then gently push down around round the plant with the palms of your hands.
5. Some of the smaller leaved species enjoy free draining so it might be good to incorporate some horticultural grit into your compost.
6. Top-dress in the spring with Leaf-mould, peat or Ericaceous compost. Dead head after flowering if you can.