Author Topic: Pruning apple trees  (Read 3946 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Pruning apple trees
« on: September 09, 2012, 10:57:06 PM »
I gave my apple trees a fairly severe pruning this year as they were neglected for a few years.
I pruned to have lateral branches and pruned off any upright growth on the laterals to a few leaf buds.
The one shown is an example of the reaction by the trees.
Long upright growth.
The one in the photo (I think its a Grenadier but need to check) is used for pollination for neighbouring trees, including my Bramley.
Over the years, Ive  pruned it to make a leafy arch at the top of my main path (it looks really good!).
You can see how the long (and strong) stems have sprouted up in this season, mostly about 3 ft.
Should I prune them lightly now, or wait until winter again?

The special apple in the photo is called James ;D

« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 10:58:44 PM by ideasguy »

NightHawk

Re: Pruning apple trees
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 11:50:32 AM »
I like the arch-effect over your path George - looks really good.

Strong enough to support a budding gardener too ;)

I notice a nice crop of nettles in the foreground though George.  Is that your contribution for a 'going for wild look'  :D

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 12:12:34 PM »
Ah yes, the nettles :-[
That photo is taken the part of the garden which is not included in the normal Garden Tour ;D
There are vegetable areas (used for rotation), three apple trees, raspberries, a rhododendron garden, an old shed for storing useful things ::) the concrete base for a new (when I have time) 8ft x 12 ft shed and then the "utility area" aka the composting department and other (more) useful things ::).
I accumulated a number of large sand bags which I use for composting grass cuttings, weeds etc and also for storing shreddings. The shreddings take a while to break down but make lovely dark compost for spreading over the flower beds.
When vegetable areas go fallow, nettles quickly reestablish in the fertile soil. That's the raison d'ĂȘtre for the new Rotovator ;)

NightHawk

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 12:18:08 PM »
Okay George - a nice attempt at grovelling for forgiveness there  :D  I see your reasoning  ;)

If nettles were beautiful flowers, instead of weeds, they would be one of the most welcome, hardy and prolific bloomers in our gardens.  Sadly they're not, and are a pain to get rid of once they arrive  :(

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 12:32:15 PM »
Indeed ;D ;D ;D

Are nettles wildlife friendly?

NightHawk

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 01:42:44 PM »
Nettles are indeed wildlife friendly, especially the stinging nettle - Urtica dioica.
Not as a direct food source, but the presence of the stings has allowed the relationship with numerous insect species to develop.

The stinging hairs of the nettle developed as a defence against grazing animals.  So effective are they that few grazers, with the exception of goats and hungry sheep (which you won't have in your average garden), will touch nettles when the stings are active.

So, nettles provide long-term shelter for insects, such as aphids and caterpillars of many butterflies and moths, as they can also move between the spines without activating the sting.  The insects, in turn, provide food for small birds, such as tits.

Having said that though, because nettles are so prolific (being native to Europe, Africa, Asia, and North America) I think there are enough nettle patches around to provide a suitable habitat for wildlife, so I wouldn't be depriving them of it by not having them in my garden  ;)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 01:48:22 PM »
Thanks for that info Laurie.
Urtica dioica - must add that to the Master Database and to my Ideas Genie garden areas :D

NightHawk

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 02:16:21 PM »
I suppose weeds have an important role to play in your flower software database George.

Being able to identify weeds will stop less knowledgeable gardeners (such as myself for example) from pulling up our much loved and wanted plants accidentally  ::)  Some weeds can have really beautiful flower heads, so I always ask Kathy first before pulling up anything.
Food for thought maybe  :-\

Offline Palustris

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 03:25:14 PM »
I f you are pruning them for fruit, ie to force the tree into making spurs then August but if you want to reduce the tree height then pruning is done when the  tree is dormant.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 03:47:18 PM »
I'm forcing that and a few other trees for fruit, Eric, as they have reached the desired height.
You say August - is it too late this year now its almost mid September?

Offline Palustris

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 05:44:06 PM »
Should be ok, bit late but the season is late any way.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 07:59:16 PM »
I'll give it a go. Thanks Eric.