Photography > Questions

How Should I Organize My Photos For Forum Posting?

<< < (2/3) > >>

ideasguy:
Oooooh Oooooh!! :D :D :D
Congratulations Toby - you've cracked it.
Sizes look just perfect.

As for the subject matter - many thanks indeed!
To explain to our members, SCBG is Soos Creek Botanical Garden.
http://sooscreekbotanicalgarden.org/
They purchased Ideas Genie Pro more than a year ago.
Toby has visited the garden, as you can see from his posting and tells me it is all very impressive.

If you'd like to post some more photos of SCBG, here's a suggestion Toby.
Look for the section Good Gardens to Visit on this forum.
Then look for the sub section Good Gardens to visit (USA).
Post a new topic there called Soos Creek Botanical Garden.
Photos there would be very much appreciated indeed Toby.

JeanV:
I too am interested in this topic. My husband arranges his by date and then notes what he takes that day. My new camera promises a trick where if you tell it a person's name it can then recognise them  in other photo graphs : I have not tried it yet but maybe it would work with plants. Has anyone tried anything else?

My old camera Panasonic had a really good filing method but this new one I have not got sussed yet!

Any advice welcome!

NightHawk:
Try and keep your filing as simple as possible.

Digital cameras can be configured to have a default naming system - usually the date the photos were taken.  Then you can organise them manually later on by creating specific folders on your computer - family, holidays, garden, etc.
This is one of the most basic methods, and was the system I started with, and still do to a certain extent.

If you have thousands of photos then you will need to have a more organised system.

A lot depends what imaging software you own, many of which come with a built-in organiser feature.  Eric (Palustris) mentioned Adobe Photoshop Elements.  I have used this program and it works very well.  I now use Adobe Photoshop CS5 which comes with Bridge, it's own built-in organiser.

I do a lot of day-to-day graphics work, take a lot more photographs than I used to, so have built up quite a large library of images.  To help keep track of these I use Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3.  You can have the images scattered all over your computer in numerous different folders and it knows where they are.  You can allocate various tags, comments, notes, whatever to them so you can sort them into any order you want, or find exactly what you need easily.

This is a very expensive program to buy and not everyone can, or wants, to own it.  If you can afford it, and can justify the expense for the work you do, then it's worthwhile.

I still have loads of graphics/photos that are not startlingly brilliant and I may or may not use them, or view them very often, so I just manually give them their own folders and don't import them into Lightroom.  My main 'keeper' items that make the grade get the benefit of taking their place in Lightroom to get fully categorised.

Everyone has their own way of organising themselves.  There will be many suggestions of differing methods to try, and there is no wrong way of doing it.  If you find a method that you're comfortable with which works for you, then stick with it.  I know of many people who have over-complicated their filing system and get in a real pickle over it, having numerous folders and sub-folders, for just one particular event, then find it hard to locate a certain photo again some time in the future.

I think of myself as being a very organised person, and early on I did fall into the trap of being one of those 'over-complicating' types I mentioned above.  Trying to be too organised with multiple folders and sub-folders for just one event wasn't very efficient.

I have a set of folders on my computer that contain the original photos downloaded from my digital camera/s.  These photos are left untouched and I work on copies in a 'work-in-progress' folder.  When work is completed on them they are then given their own folders (if it's a new subject matter) or allocated to an existing folder containing similar photos.

I then back up all of my 'original' photos onto an external disk drive BEFORE I delete them from my camera memory cards.

This is just my own personal method of organising my photos/graphics which works for me, and I can find what I need when I need it.  And this is the criteria for any filing system I feel.

Laurie.

bossgard:
Laurie (or whomever?):

Can you tell me, please?

I am using Kodak Easyshare software to help me organize my photos for Forum posting.

At the moment I am working with ‘ADD PICTURE CAPTIONS’ to a set of my photos which I want to appear on the Forum. There is a NOTE at the bottom of the page that reads: ‘Captions are included in most pictures’ file properties so they appear with the picture in any application that checks the properties (for example, Microsoft Windows Photo Gallery, in the Windows Vista operating system)’ I am running Windows XP.

My question – when I post to the Forum, will those captions be included as part of the photo? If so, does that effect WHEN I do the re-size on the photo. Should I complete the caption procedure before I do the re-size? I am using GA051 for the re-size.

Thanks,

- Toby

NightHawk:
Toby,

Short answer - I don't know.  I'm not familiar with that particular piece of software.

I suggest you add a caption to one of your photos and upload it to the Forum and see what happens.

Laurie.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version