Author Topic: Ideasguy's garden  (Read 4095 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Ideasguy's garden
« on: December 01, 2005, 04:15:01 PM »
First, an Aerial Photo

Then, a photo taken in June 05, in the middle section of the back garden, before the weeds took over (i had very little time for the garden this summer during the development of Flower Genie and Ideas Genie Pro)

In relation to the Aerial photo, the photo was taken fairly close to where my grandson (in the red Arsenal top) is playing with a swing, and directed to the bottom left of the aerial photo.

Its pointed down the path which I call the Laburnum walk, with the Laburnum arch (which I grew from seed) at the end of the path.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 04:59:09 PM by ideasguy »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Ideasguy's garden
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2005, 06:30:14 PM »
In relation to the Aerial piccy, this area is at the top of that driveway to the right of that grass "turning circle" (so its at the back of the house)

This part of the garden started off (in the general scheme of things) as a conifer patch. It looked a bit drab, so I planted a Rhodo (the one my dog is pointing to).
It thought IT looked a bit drab, so it threw up a stem or two from the rootstock. Now, I KNOW I should have cut that off, but, it looked good, so it stays, and gives me a bit more colour in this bed.
In the early days, when that was a FLAT field, the rhodo was tramped over numerous times by aspiring young footballers before it began to look after itself!

I grew that conifer on the right of the Rhodo from seed. It was supposed to be "Dwarf". Its a big dwarf (bigger than me now, and I dont like to think of myself as a dwarf!)
But, its pretty unusual, and has a nice shape, so it lives!

« Last Edit: December 03, 2005, 06:38:22 PM by ideasguy »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2005, 06:31:28 PM »
and heres a close up of the original blood red Rhodo and that mauve rootstock flower.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 12:12:13 AM »
A few photos taken today. I'd just finished cutting the lawn, the last bit in light rain. Rain stopped play so I looked back up the garden and reckoned I'd better take a few piccies of that Acer and that massive Clematis montana.
The Acer was shining bright orange, like a beacon. The clematis was looking impressive.

So, heres from the "house end"  of the main path up the back garden looking right (south):
http://www.ideasforgardens.net/forumpics/clematisMontanaRIMG0001.JPG

I hauled the Acer into the "Sweep lawn, which runs from the left off the main path, half way up the back garden, and took a close up (general view) of the Acer palmatum 'Osakazuki'
http://www.ideasforgardens.net/forumpics/osakazukiRIMG0008.JPG

and heres a close up of the foliage
http://www.ideasforgardens.net/forumpics/osakazukiRIMG0017.JPG

Retreating back to the house (it was raining!!) I took this shot looking up the path again, but looking more to the left, to let you see where the Acer was placed for the above photo, and how it stands out in the garden.
http://www.ideasforgardens.net/forumpics/osakazukiRIMG0016.JPG

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 09:35:37 AM »
The clematis was looking impressive.
Such a black montana with tail we in Belgium call that a labrador ;D
How old is the (real) montana? Would it be a good idea to attach one at the walls of the house?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 09:42:32 AM by greenfinger »

Offline bigfonn

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 09:12:21 PM »
Hello,

That is a nice garden, that also is more the style I wanted to have my new garden!

Groetjes,

Ina

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 09:49:45 PM »
Thanks Ina  :)

I'll post more soon - after I get some weeding done!
What kind of plants do you like? Any preferences?

Offline bigfonn

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 08:25:58 AM »
Hallo,

I do like plants with flowers, bloeiende planten, and colors, and then through the seasons, also I like butterfly's and birds in the garden.
At the moment I have Campanula's Kenthel, Budleja Davilii (empire blue), 1 talictrum plavum, salvia verbena, heuchera, kogeldistel, heleborus, and lot's off heester where I don't know the name off yet.

Groetjes Ina

Sorry for my english, I have to find out the terms for somethings.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 10:27:07 AM »
Dont apologise for the English - its fine! The good thing is that plants have Latin names, so universal.

Even when you use a common name (in Dutch) we can do a surf and find the Latin names.
 e.g. kogeldistel brings up this web site
http://www.neerlandstuin.nl/plantenb/echinops.html