Author Topic: Spring is sprunging!  (Read 9683 times)

NightHawk

Re: Spring is sprunging!
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2012, 10:47:30 PM »
And "March winds will blow and we shall have snow" as the saying goes.

Laurie.

Offline bossgard

Re: Spring is sprunging!
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2012, 10:29:38 PM »
Spring has sprung by the calendar in the Pacific Northwest corner of the US of A. (Seattle, WA).

The selection on the weather menu is showers, rain or snow. Add brisk winds to that, and then if I’m lucky an hour of sunshine, but very infrequently. By the time I get dressed for outside work, it’s already back doing that thing of more showers, rain and/or snow. The sunshine has gone away, I know not where!

For us veggie growers its time to get plans made and started for the 2012 season. Our last frost date is supposedly going to be by April 20th! The plans have been sketched out, and the seeds have been bought. A normal year would call for the seeds to be sowed indoors (or undercover) by March 15th, but I’m going to move that back several weeks to the 1st of April. I’d rather do that, and have some prepared place to move the little ones when they are ready for transplanting.

My plant list for the first sowing includes, Arugla (rocket), Broccoli, Broccoli (Purple Sprouting), Brussels Sprouts, Cabbage (Summer Red), Cabbage (Summer), Cauliflower, Lettuce (Crisphead), Lettuce (Leaf), Peas, Peppers, and Tomatoes.

I have not had very good luck in growing members of the Brassiceae family by long-row vegetable gardening in the past, I going to try them in a raised bed setting this year. That way I should have better pest control by using fresh soil, pre-treating it for pests, and using a Row Cover with supports for further protection.

Why is it that the veggies that are the best for you to eat, are the hardest to grow?

- Toby