Author Topic: Brick laying  (Read 3791 times)

Offline Palustris

Brick laying
« on: February 28, 2012, 10:54:20 AM »
The front of the raised bed in the Alpine house was made of wood. After 6 or so years it finally collapsed. So, I had to go into town and buy some concrete commons and a bag of mortar and set about bricklaying.
Not unhappy with the result.

NightHawk

Re: Brick laying
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 11:47:51 AM »
Good job Eric - looks plenty sturdy to me  8)

No danger of that rotting and collapsing on you  :D

You've just got to fill it up with plants now.  The easier, fun part of your project I would say.

Laurie.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 12:28:47 PM »
Actually, whilst the compost needs replacing, no plants were removed in the process so none need putting back.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 12:35:34 PM »
Nice job Eric.
I have a similar but half finished job along the long side of my greenhouse, outdoors - staging for plants which have been brought on in the greenhouse and staged ready for planting.

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 05:19:26 PM »
A really sturdy job, Eric. Well done  :). The timber staging in our greenhouse has seen better days but I no longer have the energy to do what you have done :(

Offline Jacquiht

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 06:19:54 PM »
I can recommend

http://www.twowests.co.uk/TwoWestsSite/pages/search/search.asp?txtSearch=greenhouse+staging&x=0&y=0&submitflag=true&serial=12022865079192312

I recently bought additional staging for my greenhouse and they were very helpful and even made one to my measurements.  Am about to purchase a lean-to greenhouse to attach to the back of our garage as I've run out of room in my 10 x 6!!!!!!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 08:50:18 PM »
Packed, but organised and nice and neat Jacqui!
(and you have mastered posting photos really well - perfectly resized for the forum ;))
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 08:52:24 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Jacquiht

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 08:55:29 PM »
Why thank you kind sir!  This week it has been getting up to 30 degrees and I have no heat in there just well insulated, and the seeds and cuttings love it!!!!!  Can you see on the left hand side floor the large propergator which Harold made me with wall insulation boards - they are brilliant.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 04:23:34 PM »
The sold staging is no where near strong enough for the kind of weight the alpine house beds have to take. And the ones in my other greenhouse need to be rather robust too, so they were constructed in much the same way with fence posts and paving slabs. Believe it or not the costs were not much different either.

Offline Jacquiht

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 07:29:31 PM »
This was just a general, hopefully helpful, reference to staging for greenhouses!

Offline Palustris

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 09:17:52 PM »
And it was very helpful. We did look at this before we went ahead and built the staging we had to have.
Takes me back a very long way to the Harrogate Spring Show we went to and first came across Two Wests and the original Elliot. Ah, the heady days of ones youth. Sniff, we had no money then either!