Author Topic: Courgette and Gruyere Muffins  (Read 7328 times)

Offline Jacquiht

Courgette and Gruyere Muffins
« on: February 19, 2012, 05:58:43 PM »

This recipe was passed on to me by a very good friend, after I had sampled one with a bowl of Leek and Potato soup

225g Self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
100g grated courgette
salt and freshly ground pepper
75g grated gruyere (although I used 150g to get good cheesiness)
175ml semi-skimmed milk
1 large egg beaten
75ml olive oil
1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary

This recipe is in fact for 5 very large muffins - I made 10 in standard sized muffin tray)

1. Preheat oven to 180C (170C if fan)/350F/Gas 4
2. Grease muffin tray (butter /marge is better than olive oil)
3. Mix flour, baking powder, courgetter, seasoning and 2/3 of cheese together in bowl
4. In separate bowl, whisk milk, egg and olive oil until well combined. Add the liquid mixture and chopped rosemary to the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
5. Divide mixture among greased muffin tray and bake for 10 minutes; then sprinkle the remaining cheese over the muffins. Bake for a further 10-15 minutes, or until risen and golden brown.
6. For pure indulgence, serve warm with butter!!!! Yummy!!!

I've done lots of different combos with this recipe: bacon and gruyere; onion and gruyere (pre-cooking the onions); sun-dried tomato and gruyere .... Endless possibilities! 

Happy cooking!

NightHawk

Re: Courgette and Gruyere Muffins
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 06:12:06 PM »
Thanks for the recipe Jacqui - sounds like an interesting combination.

I did a quick Google search on it and came up with a similar recipe on the BBC web site.  Another serving suggestion there is with scrambled eggs and bacon.

Will any of our members try this out?

Laurie.

Offline Jacquiht

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 06:17:58 PM »
Hi Laurie
Looks as though this is where it originated from! Absolutely delicious.  I quite often use  http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/
and keep a saved Cook Book on the site which is really useful.  As an aside, do you have easy instructions for posting a photo on the forum?
Thanks  Jacqui

NightHawk

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 06:30:51 AM »
... As an aside, do you have easy instructions for posting a photo on the forum?

OK Jacqui, posting a photo to the Forum:

Preparation:

(1)  You can use photos in the .jpg format for this section of the Forum.

(2)  Photo size - (a)  no wider than 660 pixels, otherwise you get a horizontal scrollbar which isn't pretty.
(b)  125kb or less.

(3)  George has created a module in IG Pro that will resize your photos to the correct dimension and file size ideal for the Forum.  Look under the Tools tab on IG Pro menu and you will find the Resize Program - GA051.  By using the program GA051 in Ideas Genie Pro, with a setting of 600, the program makes the image a more "friendly" size for the forum, so no scrolling is necessary. It also resizes the images to less than 125kb.
GA051 preserves the image width to height ratio, so the copies made are resized yet do not lose their aspect ration and are not distorted.

(4)  If you have any graphics software such as Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, Paint Shop Pro, you could use these to do any photo enhancements first; e.g. adjust lighting, sharpness, then save your results and go into IG Pro to resize it.  If you prefer to use your graphics program to do everything, then by all means do so (but give IG Pro a try.)
I don't know what software, if any, you use but Photoshop and Photoshop Elements have a 'Save for Web'  option where you get a side-by-side preview of your original photo and one showing the adjustments you make using the quality 'slider' to get the kb size needed.

Posting the photo:

(1)  Save your photo on your computer; for the sake of argument in a folder called 'images'.

(2)  When you get to posting a message, click Attachments and other options situated beneath the text box.  This will open a sub-menu with a box called Attach.  To the right of that box click on the Browse button and locate the photo you saved in your images folder.
That will fill in the Attach field.
Using this method, you are uploading a copy of your photo to George's server space, which he kindly allocates (at his own expense) to our members, who don't have access to any other web server.  As you mentioned in a topic about your Forum Profile photo Jacqui, you didn't know how to access your IP server, so this is your best option.

(3)  Carry on with the rest of your posting and use the Preview button to check it's looking ok.  If you're happy with it click the 'Post' button as normal.

I think I've covered all bases here Jacqui, but if you run into any difficulties just let us know.

Laurie.

Offline Jacquiht

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 08:24:37 AM »
 :) Thanks for your help again Laurie, I shall give this a go sometime! :)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 08:45:23 AM »
Very well explained Laurie!
We need to keep this as a reference.  Would you like to add a new topic with this as the subject and your message as the first posting? You deserve the credits for that!

NightHawk

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 09:12:21 AM »
As you suggested George I've created a new topic in General Category / Tips on using the forum / Posting a photo on the Forum.

This should make it easier for our new members to find the help they require  ;)

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 07:54:35 PM »
Many thanks Laurie :) Its really good.

Today it was Pancakes, Jacqui, preparation for tomorrow :)
We were looking after James for the afternoon after school, so we tested them as they came off the pan to make sure they were OK ;D

Thanks for posting the Muffins recipe - I'm sure they will be delicious. To be continued... ?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 07:59:31 PM by ideasguy »