Author Topic: Laminated labels  (Read 6768 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Laminated labels
« on: June 22, 2006, 01:49:20 PM »
I was cleaning up and found a few old pots, under my outdoor staging area. The plants were bought 4 years ago!

Attached were labels, and wonder of wonders, they were still readable.
The labels were printed with an InkJet printer, but had been put through a laminator.
Now heres another clever idea.
The laminated labels were stapled to the pots!
They were in 3in square pots, so stapling was easier than trying to staple to a round pot.

So... I'm buying a laminator.

Incidentally, the occupants of the pots have long since died.
They were very pretty little cultivars in the genus Rhodohypoxis.
I'm afraid I planted them in rich soil, and weeds choked them. I'm planning to create a small alpine bed 8ft x 6ft just outside the kitchen window and plant some more of those beauties.

Offline whis4ey

Re: Laminated labels
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 06:58:08 PM »
I have printed out some labels on the computer, and attached them with waterproof tape to a wood block
A six inch length of copper pipe (flattened for 1 and a half inches) is screwed to the block and stuck into the ground
The waterproof tape is that used by windsurfers to repair torn sails
Still don't know how long it will last though, although all seems well at the moment

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 09:35:16 PM »
That looks real good Billy, and a great idea using the block and the pipe. Wont blow away in the wind! I would be very much obliged if you would post a message here from time to time and let us know how durable they are.

I bought a new laminator more than a month ago, and a box of sleeves, but havent even had time to try it out yet. IG Pro can make nice labels, with a photo etc. I think the laminated labels (if well sealed both sides) would be as durable as some of the ones you find in Nurseries which have been done with a thermal transfer label printer. First year they are fine, but how often have you looked at a label on a plant in a Nursery and found it un-readable - writing completely eroded off.

Did you adhere tape to the back as well as the front of your printed labels?

Offline whis4ey

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 09:18:11 AM »
Hi George
You can see from the cut of the label and the cut of the wooden block that this is very much in the form of a 'prototype' :)
Not a great deal of time was spent on it
If it lasts then I will tidy things up (if I ever get around to it I suppose)
The label is just plain non sticky paper.  It is not stuck to the wood ...  the waterproof tape covers the label and the wood and it is that which sticks it on.  As I say ...  very much an experiment at this stage

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 09:42:53 AM »
Just a thought, but to prevent moisture eeking from the wood to the pape, an application of the same waterproof tape on the back of the plain paper might be a help in making it last longer. I assume that would be pretty easy ?
I hoe other members will do some experimenting with your method. Any volunteers?

Offline Palustris

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 04:03:54 PM »
No comment on the label side of things, but I HATE labels which have been stapled to pots. Garden Centres have recently taken to doing this and I am in the process of finding out if I can sue them over the ripped open hand I suffered on one of their rusty staples. For heavens sake be careful!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 07:18:16 PM »
I have to agree with you on the danger of those staples.

I can see the advantages from the Nursery point of view. If its a pin type label, customers pull the label from the pot, and dont necessarily put it back in the same pot, if at all  ::) :(

Offline whis4ey

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 01:04:08 PM »
George ..  the only thing that occurs to me is that if you start to apply the same tape to the back of the label you are simply 'laminating' and greatly increasing the cost
My idea is to be cheap :) ...  scrap wood, scrap copper pipe cuttings, all for the cost of a roll of tape .........
Once you try your laminater and have to buy more laminating plastic you will see what I mean  :o :o

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 01:59:01 PM »
Yes, the lamination sheets are costly, but I think its worth it, especially for my specimen plants Acers, Rhodos, Azaleas Camellias, Magnolias etc

I'm not sure how long that relatively expensive lamination film will last outdoors.
Ive a new batch of plants arriving, so I'm hoping to get that thing warmed up and give it a go.

Offline whis4ey

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 05:26:37 PM »
We can compare notes in a years time :)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007, 07:51:00 PM »
Yes, Billy.

I'm hoping a few other members will join in the experiment.

So, members - Any volunteers?

Offline whis4ey

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2007, 12:45:37 PM »
OK peeps ...  we don't have to wait a year
The 'waterproof' tape didn't survive the recent rains, so it most certainly wouldn't have survived a winter :(
I am still on the search for a 'cheap' method, but am going to try George's suggestion involving tape on both sides of the paper label
There are also little plastic 'envelopes' available on the market where you 'slide' a label into it from the side.  Maybe something like that would work?  If I could find a supply cheap enough?  And print on slightly thicker paper or card? And then find a glue that would itself withstand the water?  Or maybe use tiny nails?  Or?  Or?  Or? ......

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2007, 09:20:11 PM »
That is a disappointment Billy.

Tape both sides + those tiny nails onto your wood black + copper pipe ?

I like the idea of those slide in envelopes, if they were watertight and durable.
Might even be extra protection for my laminated labels.
Please let us know if you source anything useful

Rain is one thing, frost and snow could be a big test for all our experiments.

Incidentally, my laminator was only a tenner. Still havent switched it on yet!
I'm ready to do a few tests with IG Pro, so I will get to labelling soon, and I'll take a picture.

I used to do a lot of work with fibreglass. Labels embedded in fibreglass resin would cost a bit, and be slow to produce, but they sure would last.

Offline whis4ey

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2007, 09:22:27 AM »
Well .... get on with it George
What's keepin' ye? :)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2007, 09:51:41 PM »
Tapping the keyboard