Author Topic: Slugs  (Read 3317 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Slugs
« on: July 14, 2011, 12:21:24 AM »
Ive never seen so many slugs and snails before in my garden. They seem to be EVERYWHERE in abundance this year! How do they ever survive -15 degrees in winter?
I was weeding around one of my Bergenias last night, and there were snails clinging to every leaf. Whole colonies of them!
Strangely, the leaves were fine, so they must just like the shelter of those big leaves during the day.

I use large compost bags for weeds. Pick one up and I'll find them sticking inside and outside :'( Turn a stone over, and there they are. This past few days I'm uncovering hundreds of snails eggs.
My tip: If you want to be humane, set a stone or a piece of wood beside your favourite young plants. Invariably they will also be the slugs favourite - they have very good taste in plants  ;D
Seriously, I'd say they would be a very good indicator of plant worthiness. They are very selective in their choice of food.

When I put slug pellets down its carnage next day.

Is it the lovely wet climate we have in Ireland? Do you have a problem with slugs this year?

NightHawk

Re: Slugs
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 06:45:29 PM »
Only snails hiberate, sealing themselves within their shells.  Slugs, on the other hand, are more cold-hardy and remain active in all but freezing weather conditions.  They will crawl into crevices or beneath stones, pots, plastic etc. during the cold winter, so they've managed to survive the -15 temperatures you've had George.

Severe weather will dramatically reduce their numbers though, so the wet spell has warmed up the temperature enough and provided the excellent wet conditions that slugs thrive in.

Having said that though, we've not had any significant slug/snail problem in the south so far.  We've not had that much rain to speak of so that's a factor.

Our local Song Thrushes are doing a great job with the few snails that are appearing before the sun comes up.  We've found a few smashed snail shells on our new patio area, which they've used to great effect by dropping the snails from high up to break them open to get the nutritious snail within.  Song Thrushes are clever and resourceful birds.

Laurie.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 06:48:11 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Slugs
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 11:28:06 AM »
Thanks for that Laurie. I hadn't done any research on their habits, and I should! Know your enemy ;D

I see a few frogs as I work in the garden, and I believe they would account for some slugs. They wont go hungry, thats for sure!

My neighbours cats (5 + 3) have accounted for our thrushes or drive them away. They had nested in one of my garden features a couple of years ago but a cat destroyed the nest after they had hatched.