Author Topic: John & Kath B's garden in 2011  (Read 3591 times)

Offline JohnB

• Main Signature
    • John & Kath B's Photo Album
John & Kath B's garden in 2011
« on: July 12, 2011, 03:12:15 PM »
I've just updated our photo album of my garden on Smugmug.

Here's a link to the Gallery: http://johnandkathb.smugmug.com/Gardening/2011-Garden-Gallery/15937401_VCLQz

If you want to go straight to a slide show: http://johnandkathb.smugmug.com/photos/swfpopup.mg?AlbumID=15937401&AlbumKey=VCLQz

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: John & Kath B's garden in 2011
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 12:21:48 AM »
Great work, John, and thanks ever so much for sharing them with us. Garden is looking simply magnificent. Are those Helianthemums along the front of your border?

I was OK on page 1, proceeded to page 2 and in one of the photos I clicked to view full size. When I returned to view the photos weren't showing properly. I'll try again tomorrow.

Offline JohnB

• Main Signature
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 03:12:33 AM »
With Smugmug, there's quite a number of viewing choices. If you're viewing the standard gallery view (where there's some thumbnails to the left and a larger picture to the right, clicking the "next" and "prev" links over the top of the larger picture will move you back and forth. If you hover your mouse over the larger picture, you'll see a floating window appear with some options on the size to see the picture when clicked. Just clicking the picture brings up a pretty full size image.

The slideshow is another way to see the album with the pictures about full screen size.

Offline JohnB

• Main Signature
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 03:13:20 AM »
I forgot to answer your question, yes those are helianthemums in the foreground at the foot of the border.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 10:45:35 AM »
I prefer to go through your photos manually.
I notice that you have written text for each photo (exposed when you hover over the photo).
Similar to Ideas Genie, but the graphic presentation is something I will work on in my next update.

I used the floating window options to view the original and zoomed in on your edge of border plants - thanks for confirming that they are Helianthemums. Looks like they love your garden!! Do they come back each year when left in situ outdoors?

I recently acquired a very nice Helianthemum - a new release by Blooms of Bressingham.
Paul (Newplantsguy on the forum) can tell us more.
Its called Helianthemum Hartswood Ruby. I cant wait to see how it does in my garden :)
Heres a pdf with technical details by Blooms of Bressingham:
http://www.bloomsofbressinghamplants.com/professionals/growers/technical-guides/117.html
I read there that it was discovered by Michael Hart, UK
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 10:52:40 AM by ideasguy »

Offline JohnB

• Main Signature
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 12:14:18 PM »
That does look to be a nice Helianthemum. The one I have is Helianthemum nummularium 'Ben Ledi' and has proven very hardy for me. I do have to keep cutting it back hard after flowering so that it doesn't get too leggy and woody. It seems to respond well to that.

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 11:33:51 PM »
Hi John,
I have just watched the slide show of your garden on Smug Mug. I must say it looks magnificent and very well cared for. I had not come across Smug Mug until you introduced me to it. I must say it is quite impressive. I liked the way that any title you gave the photos appeared at the bottom. I particularly noticed your Mecanopsis paniculata, the blue poppy. Would you call that a Himalayan poppy?  I found Meconopsis betonicifolia described as the Himalayan poppy but I wondered if all blue poppies qualified..

Offline JohnB

• Main Signature
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 04:48:38 PM »
I've been very pleased with SmugMug - it is a subscription service - but the annual fee is not that high and it will store your photos in their original resolution and there's no limit to the number of photos you can load. They have a robust back-end that stores data in 3 locations, I believe, so it's a great way to keep your precious pictures - the security model is also very comprehensive. If anyone is thinking of signing-up, please let me recommend you, I get a small discount from my annual subscription.

On the Mecanopsis front Eric, yes they are known as Himalayan poppies - I think all the blue one's qualify...