Author Topic: Gardener of the Year - Congratulations to Marie and Tony  (Read 3431 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Gardener of the Year - Congratulations to Marie and Tony
« on: September 02, 2010, 11:32:59 PM »
I bought Garden News hoping to see Lyn and Malcolms garden as discussed here:
http://www.flowergenie.co.uk/ideas/forum/index.php/topic,1490.0.html
As explained in that topic, the feature was in the previous weeks issue :'( :'(
I was very disappointed to have missed that issue.

Ah well, something to read at bedtime, I thought. What a surprise was in store!
The front page of the mag read:
UK's Best Gardens
Gardener of the year 2010
2010 winners revealed
In the photo, I thought - those people look familiar ;)
There on page 7, the Gardener of the Year roll of honour was revealed.
Gardener of the Year?
Why, 1st place went to Marie and Tony Newton 8)
Was I surprised. Absolutely not!
I am delighted to say Marie and Tony are members of our forum having registered with the members name - Four Seasons.
I made contact after my son tipped me off having seen their garden on TV. I was overjoyed when they accepted my invitition and joined us on our forum :)
Marie and Tony kindly sent me a DVD of the TV show and I have to agree with my son - the garden is out of this world.

Congratulations, Marie and Tony on scooping the 1st prize this year. I read that you came a close second last year, so it must be one tough competition!
That is a truly magnificent achievement, and I have to say thoroughly deserved.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 11:43:40 PM by ideasguy »

Offline The Gardener

• Plantaholic
    • «« A FLOWER ARRANGER'S GARDEN - FLOWER ARRANGING AND GARDENING »»
Re: Gardener of the Year - Congratulations to Marie and Tony
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 01:09:11 PM »
Congratulations Tony and Marie!  I believe it is a very tough competition, so to come first is quite an achievement.  You live in a similar part of the world to me - I'm just in the next County - Worcestershire.  I'm looking forward to seeing more of your garden (and you!) in this week's Garden News when you will be featured in more detail.

NightHawk

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 02:52:18 PM »
Well done Marie and Tony.  8)

If you get time you must come back onto the Forum and tell us all about the experience.

Laurie.

Offline Four Seasons

• www.fourseasonsgarden.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 09:22:09 PM »
Hi George, Kathy & Laurie , 'The Gardener" and Ideas Genie,

Thanks for so many kind words. Yes we have been missing for very many weeks however, as you have found out, we have not been idle! Yes, we were running out of time to do everything we wanted to do, so we mainly pushed ahead with gardening, charity open days, getting the photos and especially with preparations for Sarah and Andy's wedding reception in our garden. In addition we very much wanted to proceed with out attempt to get a high placing in the Garden News "Gardener of the Year" competition.

The judges kindly paid a surprise visit to our garden on 12th August, two days after the marquee was taken down. A  few days ago we were astounded and absolutely delighted to hear that we had been awarded first place in the competition. We feel extremely honoured to have been given this award by judges for a newspaper which has such a high reputation amongst so many gardeners in the UK.

However, tonight we have been busy protecting some of the tiered flower baskets against the heavy rain .......... so that we can still put on a late summer show for our next ngs open day on Sunday 19th September.

Attached should be a picture of the upper garden taken on 4th September.

We hope to be back soon

Very best wishes to everyone

Tony and Marie

P.s some other recent pictures are on our Flickr site .....in case any one wishes to see them here is the link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fourseasonsgarden/page2/