Author Topic: Plant Hunters Fairs  (Read 6461 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Plant Hunters Fairs
« on: August 26, 2010, 08:48:59 AM »
We are visiting Tara in Manchester (England) arriving Sunday, home Wednesday.
I had hoped to visit a Nursery near Crewe where I bought some very good plants recently (mail order):
http://www.specialperennials.com/

I was looking forward to seeing their National Collection of Helenium (I bought 5 varieties from them)

I made contact with Janet & Martin of Special Perennials but they told me they were at the Plant Hunters Fair on Sunday and Monday
http://www.planthuntersfairs.co.uk/Venues/dorothy_clive_garden.htm
Now its a change of plan and we hope to go to that venue on Monday.

Anyone going? Anyone been to the Dorothy Clive garden?

NightHawk

Re: Plant Hunters Fairs
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 08:59:51 AM »
Won't be going George - other plans this weekend.

We've never been to the Dorothy Clive garden, so your report it will be something to look forward to, accompanied no doubt by a vast array of photos  ;)

Have a safe journey.

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 09:22:51 AM »
Thanks Laurie.
I'll definitely have my camera with me. Not sure how much time we will have there and it also depends on how many exciting shops are in the vicinity ::).

Offline Palustris

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 10:15:39 AM »
Dorothy Clive Garden is /was beautiful. It was created in a quarry for the said lady and opened after she died in her memory. When it was free entry  and cheap parking we used to go on a regular basis. The path up to the top of the garden is rather steep so we are not sure if I can manage it this year. (Going up is no problem, but coming down where the pressure is on the front of my foot is). Definitely worth the visit though. My daughters have been recently and they rave about it.
You also have Bridgemere Garden Centre about 5 miles up the road towards Nantwich, worth a look as they are just about getting the bulbs in and they sell lots of loose ones (or they did, it is Wyevale now and have changed a lot).
And if you like good ice cream then just the  other side of Nantwich is Snugberry's Ice Cream farm.........to die for (in my case almost literally!).
We are actually thinking of going to the Plant Fair so I might just see you there. Will know for sure by Saturday night, will let you know.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 10:40:07 AM »
Thats great Eric. I'm looking forward to it even more now!
It would be a pleasure to meet up with you. Talk on Saturday evening when you have finalised.

I'm afraid ice cream is my major weakness, so we might just try and find that place.
Looks like we would need 2 days there!

Offline Palustris

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 10:51:17 AM »
As far as I can tell from the vague answers given to me. We will be going on Monday morning, arriving about 10 or thereabouts. Having coffee in the car park before wandering about. If it is raining then we will not be going at all. No doubt we will have a picnic lunch in the car, then go home. Best I can do.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 01:03:30 PM »
Thats great Eric. From the forecast it looks like it will be an OK day.
Look out for a PM and we can arrange to meet up for a chat.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 09:11:27 PM »
Arrived safely and have spent a very nice day in Manchester
Have made arrangements to meet up with Eric tomorrow

NightHawk

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 09:35:10 PM »
Glad to hear you arrived safely George.

I hope you're having better weather there than we are at the moment.  It's blowing a gale, cold and scattered showers.

Forecast sounds good here for Tuesday and Wednesday - not sure about tomorrow though.

Pass on our best regards to Eric when you meet up with him.

Have a great time.

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 10:01:40 PM »
Thanks Laurie
On my daughters laptop. Not accustomed to keyboard and doing things without a mouse ::)

NightHawk

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 10:36:39 PM »
I know exactly what you mean George.

I've used a laptop that was given to us by Kathy's mum and more recently Kathy and I have bought a 'Netbook' each.

I don't like the keypad function on either of them actually.  I tend to find that they open up menus that I don't want opened, due to the sensitivity and hovering too long over menus.  Couldn't find a suitable way to stop it from happening.

Our solution -  a wireless mouse.  Works great for us.  No extra cables to worry about from the Netbooks and no problems with menus opening up whenever they want to.

Kathy's reason for the Netbook - she's finally got around to writing her much awaited romance novel, with a paranormal/time travel theme.  Early days yet, but hoping for an entry on the best-seller list.

I've been going on at her for YEARS to do one, but there always seems to have been other commitments getting in the way.  Now she's retired, there's no excuse  ;)

My reason for a Netbook.  Well, due to its more compact size than a laptop it's ideal for putting our labels business web site on it and having access when we're away on holiday to monitor orders.

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 09:12:26 PM »
Yes, after playing some more with this computer I'm fully in agreement with you Laurie - its the sensitivity. I offered toi buy Tara the mouse you recommended but she says she has no trouble using it ::)

Back to the Plant Hunters fair - a fantastic day out was had by all our little group.
It was a day of surprises. Eric and I had planned to meet up at the Special Perennials stand at 12 midday. We  were late arriving so when I found the stand, I didnt see our friend. I chatted to Martin of Special Perennials, and this gentleman arrived announcing that he was looking for someone with an Irish accent :D and soon we were chatting away.
Tara then called me on my mobille and said coffee awaited. We then made our way up to the coffee shop and found that Mary and I had been kept in the dark about another arrangement. Marys sister (Bernie) lives in Northhampton. Tara told her where we were going and they made Marys day by making a surprise appearance.
Lots more introductions, and we all sat down in the sun and had a lovely chat. Eric and Neil (Bernies husband) found a common interest - Rugby League!
Weve taken lots of photos. I'll post them when I get home.

Eric and his wife left shorthy after lunchtime. We stayed on until after 4pm. First a tour of the garden, then a quick trip round the Plant Hunters fair.

Next on the agenda was a visit to Bridgemere - only 5 miles away from our venue. Lots more photos - I have to say I was thoroughly impressed!

The weather - very sunny and warm all day long. All in all, a great day out, and a pleasure to meet and converse with Eric and his wife.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 09:39:52 PM by ideasguy »

NightHawk

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 09:56:13 PM »
Well, surprises all round there George - fantastic.  8)

Very pleased you had a good day out and the weather was kind to you.

Looking forward to seeing your photos when you get back home when you have chance to get yourself organised  :D

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 11:14:52 PM »
Home safely, to a keyboard and computer I can use ::)

A day visiting gardens on Monday was traded off against a days shopping in Manchester city centre yesterday ::)
Its amazing how the adrenalin pumps when a woman walks into a shopping centre, and mens legs suddenly go weak (well in my case at any rate)
I finally wilted to the point I had to "retire" and sit it out in the sun sipping a nice cold pint of lager and let the ladies shop till they dropped.
Today we travelled early to Liverpool and spent the afternoon around the Albert Dock.
http://www.albertdock.com/
We relaxed, had lunch outdoors in the sun and then strolled around the area and shops.
The weather was incredibly good for the entire duration of our short break.
I'm just in from watering all the hanging baskets, containers and the greenhouse - in the dark!
Julian did the watering for me when I was away, so hopefully all will be well in first light.

(Brought home 5 plants in a suitcase, bought at the Plant Hunters Fair. They seem to have survived OK)

NightHawk

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 05:31:37 PM »
Pleased to hear you arrived back safely George.

Women shopping - ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You did the next best thing though and forced yourself to endure an alcoholic beverage in the sun.  ;)

Looking forward to seeing your pictorial record of your trip away, once you get yourself aclimatised to 'normality' again.  :D

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 10:38:17 PM »
Thanks Laurie!

Since it seems to be all over the UK, isn't this weather amazing?
The sun loving plants are enjoying this spell!

Ive been out in the garden all afternoon and this evening, then we had visitors so haven't uploaded the photos yet.
I found suitable spots and planted the plants I bought at the Plant Hunters Fair, plus a few more from the greenhouse.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2010, 09:01:06 PM »
Sorry not to have reported on this sooner, but it took me a couple of days to recover and since then I have been busy and hardly touched the Computer.
We arrived at about 10 o clock as it opened so we were able to park near the gate. Right under a conifer actually which was shedding large numbers of cones. We surreptitiously collected a large bag full. They make excellent fire enouragers for our wood burning stove. We had our coffee and wandered up to the Plant selling area. We had a good look round the stalls and found very little that we really wanted except for a number of Geums, some Centaurea and a tiny Dianthus. Bang went £45. We took them back to the car and then wandered around the garden. It has grown a lot since we were last there. Did not take many pictures though, it is a very enclosed garden with lots of narrow paths and few vistas. Most of the plants are not named either.
At 12.30 we returned to the Special Plants stall and waited for George. Got a bit worried and went for a wander trying to hear an Irish accent at the other places. Came back to the stall to find G. talking to the proprietor. The rest has been reported. It was very nice to finally meet.
We then went back to the car, had lunch and went on to Bridgemere to buy some bulbs. Not as good a selection as previous years and the prices have rocketed.
We stayed there until 3 ish, not because we wanted to but the only road home was blocked by the town's Carnival and so we had to wait for it to open and the traffic to clear.
A very pleasant day too, even if my nerves were shot and I needed some pain killers and stomach powder to get rid of the inevitable migraine. Worth it though.