Author Topic: My Brassicas Are Dieing Advise Needed  (Read 5730 times)

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
My Brassicas Are Dieing Advise Needed
« on: April 19, 2010, 12:32:38 PM »
Hi
Can any one advise what my problem is, i have sown into plug trays, brassicas cabbage, brussels and cauliflower, they germinate ok, get to a certain height 2 cms approx. but before they get their second lot of leaves, the 2 leaves they have start to go yellow which leads to the plant wilting/shrivelling and dieing, they are in the greenhouse, plenty of ventilation
Thanks
Phil

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: My Brassicas Are Dieing Advise Needed
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 02:21:57 PM »
I suspect its because they want a deeper pot. They have tap roots which want to run deep.
Ive noticed that the ones I grew from the seed supplied by your good self at http://www.magicseeder-ie.com very soon had little roots emerging from the bottom of the plug trays - even when the seedlings were very small.
Mine are standing on grit on the top of the staging and can draw some moisture from outside the tray, and are still looking healthy. I sowed them on 1st March.

What are your trays standing on?

Offline roiphil

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 03:06:45 PM »
mine are on the staging on plastic, looking for answers i suspect its a case of overwatering as water lies on the plastic and possibly to much warmth in the grenhouse even though i have all windows open, if only i could remember 25 odd years back when i worked in a plant production nursery what we did with brassicas and how they were looked after, yes i have a terrible memory at times, for now i am putting them outside in the daytime and keep a carefull check on the water

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 03:44:21 PM »
The veggy experts will be along soon ;)

Offline newplantguy

• Gooderham Horticulture
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 10:21:25 AM »
Hi,
Not a veggie expert but almost certainly it is temperatures too warm in the green house and possibly overwatering.
Now they are going outside they should move along. A frost is forcast though for tonight early hours of Wednesday.
Plug growing of veg is good but you need to keep a closer eye on culture, tap rooted plants especially.
Paul.

Offline Edna

• Southwest Florida Gardening
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 01:59:01 PM »
Here in Florida we have similar problems with Brassica. These are cool weather plants and actually enjoy a touch of frost, once they have a few leaves. I think your problem is the temperature more than anything else. I grew Brassica - broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage, successfully this winter for the first time since moving to Florida. Of course, I think it helped that we had one of the coldest winters on record. It actually SNOWED one day! Well, sorta.

I generally start my seeds by simply broadcasting them in a shallow tray, about 2 inches (5 cm?) deep, filled with good potting soil. I make sure they have good drainage and never let them stand in water. Once they have their second set of leaves, I prick them out with a tiny trowel and pot them up individually in 3 inch (7-8 cm) pots. At this point, they can handle a light frost.

I'd let them get a bit of a chill, if possible, but don't let them freeze.

A better way to start your Brassica next year may be in a cold frame. Do you use such things in your part of the world? 

Offline roiphil

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 02:21:16 PM »
hi thanks for all replies, yes we have cold frames, i grew the brassicas in plug trays 1 seed per cell in the greenhouse when i did this i did not need to heat the greenhouse, so as i dont have to prick them out later, think the main problem was to much warmth, and water, well i do have a greenhouse made out of double glazed windows,  ;D, now i am putting them outside in the day and bring them in at night and see how that goes,
Phil

Offline newplantguy

• Gooderham Horticulture
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 09:36:15 PM »
Intersting greenhouse you have, something I do not have at the moment, but maybe one day.
I think you have it right with your brassicas.
Paul.

Offline bossgard

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 11:29:31 PM »
Phil:
Take heart, my brassicas did the same thing. They were 'topless' for awhile, but most all of them have developed
at least one set of true leaves now. I started them under completely different situations than last year, which this year
included capillary mats in the propagation kits. Instead of putting water directly on the mat, I'm only going to water
the starting medium directly with the water. No misting.

Interesting enought, I started tomatoes at the same time, and they are 'topless' now, but the stems are remaining
green. They also have the capilliary mats. I'm just going to keep the medium damp and not overwater, hoping
they pull through ok too.

I understand that 'a plant can start a new leaf, but cannot start a new stem'. Right?
- Toby

Offline roiphil

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 10:27:12 AM »
I understand that 'a plant can start a new leaf, but cannot start a new stem'. Right?
technically yes in the veggie world i think, but trees and shrubs you can cut of the main leader and it should put up a new leader if it has buds or the capability of producing buds below your cut