Author Topic: Conifers with other plants.  (Read 3805 times)

Offline Four Seasons

• www.fourseasonsgarden.co.uk
Conifers with other plants.
« on: April 01, 2010, 11:49:57 PM »
In planting, we especially contrast bold shapes and forms and the colours red, blue and yellow. In particular we use bright and bold evergreens as a back-drop for flowers in spring and summer. We do not have one group of plants which is our favourite however we do have favourite combinations of groups of plants.

Although conifers seem to be increasingly out of favour with gardeners, we find that one of our favourite plant combinations  uses conifers with acers and flowers. Attached are a couple of photos to illustrate this theme in our garden  at 'Four Seasons'. The conifers in these pictures were planted about 18 years ago and are kept to size.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 12:00:32 AM by Four Seasons »

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
Re: Conifers with other plants.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 11:02:46 AM »
wonderfull garden with all the colours, and i see your a dab hand at shearing, how do you fancy shearing my xmas trees when it time. job description, long hours, one meal a day (if your lucky) bad pay, but i do give you a pair of wellies and gloves and if your luck a wooly hat  ;D

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 03:41:11 PM »
Absolutely stunning, Marie and Tony.

Its like a dream garden, straight off an artists easel.

Conifers have gone off my list, as the ones I had grew well out of control. Just didn't have time to keep them in check.
They are unforgiving in that if you hard prune a large conifer, you end up with bare unsightly branches.

They most certainly do need attention, and its very apparent that you folk are experts at that!
Thanks for posting those wonderful inspirational photos.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 01:13:36 PM »
Ive moved this topic under the Conifers section of plants per a suggestion by Marie and Tony.

I have been impressed by how they have used conifers in their garden.
Plant combinations is a topic of great interest to me, particularly with my www.ideasforgardens.com website in mind.
Seeing plants in combination is one of the best topics for that website and will not only provide ideas but inspiration to others.

I see lots of small beds in your gardens which are crammed with gorgeous plants, and no doubt the planting combinations have evolved from your experience.

Keep up the good work, Marie and Tony :) and any tips here would be very much appreciated