Photography > Questions

Resizing/Compression Question

(1/4) > >>

TXGulfCoast:
Hello to the Knowledgeable Photographers,

I?m a very casual photographer, but I take all my garden photos in high resolution (5M).  For posting to this forum, just resizing to the recommended pixels doesn?t bring down the file size enough to meet the 125 kb max allowed.

Does a certain pixel resize suggestion assume a particular resolution?  There appears to be some correlation between the two, but that might be my ignorance showing.

I don?t have a photo editor, but when I played in Photobucket it had choices to resize.  To get down to the 125 kb, the photo was very teeny.  Would that then show on a posting as teeny also?

If I bit the bullet and bought Photoshop Elements, is there a simple way in that program to resize to a file size rather than those blankety-blank pixels?  Is that where file compression comes into play?

Probably these are basic questions for the photographers in the group, so I?m hoping someone can help me out.

Confused Monica

roiphil:
i know nothing about cameras i dont even know what size pics my camera takes but when i upload to photobucket i use the large 640 x 480 click on more options and select taht size, then when i img code to the forum i get a pic this size

hope that helps

image resizeing there is a function in igpro (will let george explain more on that one) or i use this one http://www.imageresizer.com/ its free and easy to use

Palustris:
Do you have any of the Photoshop programs?

Palustris:
Was going to modify the above, but it won't do it. Compression is not the same as Resizing. What you need to alter to post on any site is to reduce the File Size. I get my pics down to around 55kb, but that is because we are on Dialup and anything bigger is too slow to upload to Photobucket.

NightHawk:
Okay Monica, I understand your confusion so I won't babble on with a load of technical jargon that will leave you even more confused.  ;)

I use Photoshop Elements as my preferred graphics software program, as does George and a couple of others on the Forum, so if you are able to purchase this program then you'll get good support on its use here.
If you're going to be doing a lot of image manipulation, enhancements, etc. especially for posting on the Forum, then you would benefit from a dedicated software program.

I will leave it to George to explain the use of IG Pro for image resizing.

I use a Nikon D60 digital camera for all my photographic work and opt for the normal image quality setting (not the high quality that you have set) and this gives me image sizes of 3872 x 2592 pixels in the region of 2.30 MB.

Using Photoshop Elements I can get the image down to a size of 660 pixels wide and 87 to 128 Kb with very acceptable quality.

The way I do it in Photoshop Elements is as follows:
1)  Crop my photo.
2)  Then reduce the cropped image down to a dimension of no wider than 660 pixels.  I find this to be an acceptable size without creating scrollbars on the Forum page for viewing on a normal sized monitor.
3)  Using the Save for web option in Elements you can reduce the 'quality' setting of the image in real time until you can get the size to 128 kb or less.

I would suggest that if you take photos for the intention of showing them on the Forum, then it may be advisable to set your camera accordingly, so that you're not getting photos at the size of 5MB.
You'd end up with better quality images at the end of the process, as you're not having to strip out too much extra baggage from the start.

George and other members may have other suggestions for you, so it's something for you to consider for now.  :)

Laurie.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version