Author Topic: When To Start Your Seeds  (Read 11238 times)

NightHawk

Re: When To Start Your Seeds
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2010, 06:50:19 PM »
A very interesting question you have posed there Toby, and one that is up there with "how big is the Universe?"

A question with many varied hypothesise I would guess.  :-\

I wouldn't like to hazard a guess at that one though, but here's a web site link that gives one explanation at least - http://www.gardenguides.com/75304-seed-develop-plant.html.

Laurie.

Offline bossgard

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2010, 11:57:45 PM »
George:

Here?s more for the pile:

JOURNAL: Creation Date/First Bloom/First Frost/ First Snow/Hours Worked/Journal Date/Last Update Date/Majority Of Work/Notes/Your Choice.

WEATHER: Air Quality/Barometric/Conditions/Creation Date/Dew Point/Frost/High Temperature/Humidity/Journal Date/Last Update Date/Low Temperature/Moon Phase/
Precipitation/Precipitation Amount/Season/Smog/Sunrise/Sunset/Notes/UV Index/
Visibility.

SEEDS: Aftercare/Common Name/Creation Date/Days of Bloom/Days To Germinate/
Days To Harvest/Days To Seed/Description/Germination/Hardiness Zone/Harvest
Instructions/Latin Name/Life Span/Light Requirements/Plant Height/Plant Spacing/
Position/Range/Row Spacing/Seed Name/Seed Spacing/Sowing Instructions/Sowing
Time/Start Seed/Notes/Thinning Height.

SEED INVENTORY: Creation Date/Last Update Date/Location/Seed Name/Notes/Total
Count.

(Beautiful day today, I have been working outside.)

- Toby

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2010, 03:53:28 PM »

We have at least 54 different varieties of flower seeds, and 3 different toms up, at the moment they are all under growlights, all sown in the last month in a heated propogator.

Please don't ask me to list them all out  :) The only record I keep, is date of sowing and number of days till germination.

Malcolm

Offline bossgard

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2010, 05:16:19 PM »
Malcolm:

I think the beauty of using IG Pro 5 is the fact that you can use whatever features that you want to use, as long as the basic plant data entries have been made. I?m sure that I use some features that you probably do not, and of course, you use some features that I do not. The fore-going list was for George, because he wanted help in laying out the Journaling Module that Laurie has been asking for.

My basic interest at this moment, is for tracking the plants in my vegetable garden. I will be starting from seed, and planting, probably over 75 varieties of vegetables this year. Some are direct sow, some I start 6 to 8 weeks indoors before the last frost date (April 20th). It does take some planning to be able to harvest a continuous crop through out the growing season, and get the most efficiency from the limited area that I have to work with.

I was going to post the following for everybody to read because I thought it might give George encouragement and also be of interest. I?m editing it considerably, from a larger article.

By: Adrianna Vargo, Nursery Manager, Thomas Jefferson Center for Historic Plants at Monticello, Virginia, US.
?An overlooked aspect of plant propagation is the art of record keeping. Whether you are producing a few plants for your home flower and vegetable gardens or working for a larger-scale nursery developing a propagation journal will prove indispensable. . . . .
We record when seeds are sown, the germination date and success rate, and when seedlings are ready for transplanting each year. At the end of the year we evaluate the timing of our production schedule, noting what went right and what went wrong. These observations help us make adjustments for next year to ensure that we are growing our plants under optimum conditions. We also keep track of where we purchase seeds, as their quality and reliability may vary by source.?

George has expressed to me the desire to reach the ?Nursery Growers of the World? with not only the label program but also the complete IG Pro software program.

Use what features you want to, Malcolm. It?s always been your choice!

- Toby

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2010, 07:09:53 PM »
Thats very good information again in your postings, Toby.
Its good to have it accumulating here, so I can easily review when I start to that Journal Module.

I hope lots of people get to read that article by Adrianna Vargo ;)

Offline Edna

• Southwest Florida Gardening
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2010, 02:17:33 PM »

Coming in (what exactly does the writer refer to there? Crops being harvested?)

Having lived and worked on a full-scale farm for a good part of my life, I can tell you for sure that "coming in" referrs to harvest. "The corn is coming in this week" = the corn is being harvested this week, as in "coming into" the barn or whatever. If you're referring to canning, freezing or otherwise storing food, it's called "putting by", as in "We're putting by apples this week". These are very old terms not frequently used these days.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2010, 09:34:08 PM »
Thanks for that Edna! My, you are finding your way around the forum real fast!!
Delighted to have you aboard :)