Author Topic: When To Start Your Seeds  (Read 10656 times)

Offline bossgard

When To Start Your Seeds
« on: January 16, 2010, 06:18:55 PM »
Phil and Other Forum Members:

Here is the link to ?When to Start Your Seeds, Learn How to Create a Seed Starting Calendar?.

I plan on using this guide in creating my own seed planting schedule for the first time this year. When you get to the ?Sort Your Seed Packets? section, I tweaked this a little bit. Since it didn?t cost me anything and I had the materials on hand, I think it will help me gain control of the packets. I have 84 packets of vegetable seeds I keep track of.

I printed some labels via a Word Processing Program on sheets, similar to Avery #5267 ½? x 1-3/4?, 80 on a sheet. On the label I printed the following copy:  ?D   F   R   S?. Which stands for: D ? Direct Sow, F ? Plant After Last Frost Date, R ? Repeat or Successive Plantings, S ? Special Advice. I placed a printed label on the back side of my seed packets where the various planting instructions are printed, being careful not to cover any information.

With a yellow highlighter in my hands, I re-read the instructions and marked each letter that was appropriate.  You will find that sometimes more than one letter will be highlighted. An indoor (house, greenhouse, etc.) planting schedule is the first priority for me, so my first sort is ?F?. Some varieties I will start both indoors and do a Direct Sow, depending upon if the indoor plants are ready to be hardened off. The ?R? and ?S? are self explanatory.

I would like to see George adapt this or a similar concept into Genie. Maybe if several of us use this guide this year, and report from time to time, we can come up with something.

Let us know how things go!

Here?s the link:
http://www.gardeners.com/When-to-Start-Your-Seeds/5215,default,pg.html

- Toby

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: When To Start Your Seeds
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 10:06:20 AM »
Great stuff there Toby. A great link and precious information

We will definitely be referring to that during our Vegetables project!
http://www.garden-software.co.uk/vegetables/
and its much better to have it here than in the running topic on the project here:
http://www.flowergenie.co.uk/ideas/forum/index.php?topic=1313.msg8947;topicseen#msg8947

Many of the things mentioned are what we call "Events"  Ideas Genie Pro (many I would not have thoigh of as I'm very much a veg novice)
e.g.
I didn't make daily entries like Thomas Jefferson and other famous journal keepers, but on a weekly basis I would record the major tasks I'd accomplished, a general weather summary (hot, dry, wet, cold), what plants were in bloom, and what crops were coming in.
Events mentioned there (before= task and after done= an event):

Under Files tab in IG Pro we could set up Plant Care Classifications (GA011) for:

TaskEvent
Start SeedsSeeds Started
Plant outPlanted out
BloomIn bloom
HarvestHarvested

Coming in (what exactly does the writer refer to there? Crops being harvested?)

Weather:
Yes, Laurie has been asking for this for some time.
A must in next version.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 10:13:43 AM by ideasguy »

Offline bossgard

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 06:15:29 PM »
George:

RE: 'Coming in'

I'm only guessing, but could that be something pertaining to harvest. 'Sweet corn should be ready to harvest next week, or two weeks'. Like in pre-planning for preserving (canning, freezing, to bring in necessary supplies.) Or to tell the neighbors when you are going to give them some.

Might also pertain to flowering, as to peak of harvest, like; 'all the rhodies willl be in full bloom next week, remember to take photos!'

'Reminder notes?' A 'fore-warning?'. I've used the phrase; 'sweet corn, coming on' to mean this type of thing.
I would actually notify my friends when to expect strawberrries, etc. so they could make plans to preserve.

- Toby

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 06:50:16 PM »
Its a pretty ambiguous statement.
I'm sure we can be more specific in our project  ;D

In relation to this table:
TaskEvent
(Todo= Future Tense)(Past Tense)
Start SeedsSeeds Started
Plant outPlanted out
BloomIn bloom
HarvestHarvested

I'd like you veg experts to advise at this stage.
Suggest some more please (if necessary) which we can add using GA011 for the Veg. Project
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 06:53:00 PM by ideasguy »

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 07:03:56 PM »
Harden Off - Hardened Off, what you do before transplanting outside

still thinking  ???

Offline bossgard

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 09:57:09 PM »
George:

I don?t know if this is the type of info you are wanting at this particular moment and posted on this Topic, but this is what I would like to be able to do. (Now, would be nice)

I want to go to a module something like GA006 (QUERY) or GA034S01 (REPORTS) and pull a printed report on the vegetable seed pack sort I had mentioned earlier in this Topic.

Why should I sort the seed packets into two baskets (or more) physically, when the computer and GENIE will do it for me? I want to place the appropriate code letter(s) I had mentioned, ?D   F   S   R? into my plant data information (where, is for you determine).

As for instance, with GA034S01, I would like to print out a hard copy, in so doing I would click on the radio buttons for P/N, Botanical Name, and one or more of  ?D   F   R   S? as my needs might be for this particular list.

After having this printed list, I could start my TASKS/EVENTS procedures. I wouldn?t be able to do TASKS/EVENTS without that list to guide me.

In fact printed reports on progress of the various stages of the SEED PLANTING CALENDAR would be nice!

I will get the ?ole noggin? thinking about other TASKS/EVENTS that I might need. .

- Toby

Offline bossgard

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 10:09:36 PM »
Great, Phil, for you to remember the 'Hardening Off' factor.

I'm sure you are aware that 'Hardening Off' is a calendar event in itself.
At least the ones I'm aware of suggest:
Week 1 - (You do this!)
Week 2 - (You do this!)
Week 3 - (You do this!)
And continue on until it is completed.
I might be able to come up with one here, if you or George don't have one!
Is the recommended procedure the same length of time, or does it vary according to location on the planet?
- Toby

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 11:15:43 PM »
So now you wanna list, huh!

Try this.
In your database, create a new gardener called Seed Types
Create 4 garden areas
D,   F,   S and R
Use any program and add your plants to the appropriate Garden Area
and yes, you can add the same plant to D and to F

Then go ye to Reports -> GA016
Go forth and select ye the olde Gardener called Seed Types
Click ye the Print button and behold, ye shall have a nice list of plants neatly gathered in the groups which thou hath defined.

George has spoken ;D
(and all that just passed the Spell Checker  ::))

RE:
In fact printed reports on progress of the various stages of the SEED PLANTING CALENDAR would be nice!
Patience lad... We've only got to Session 2. Wait and see what is in store :)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 11:27:29 PM by ideasguy »

Offline bossgard

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 12:38:55 AM »
George:

AMAZING! I now have Carrot 'Danvers Half Long #322-10' in Garden Area D on a printed list.
Oh! What fun we have!
Thanks to you, SIR! And when you speak, you certainly do SPEAK! With authority, I might add!

- Toby

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 12:41:46 AM »
Y'know, I think he's happy ;D

Offline bossgard

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 04:57:40 AM »
George:

Happy? Me? Maybe for a little while.

I would hate to think that you would leave GA048 out of the Tasks/Events.
I assume it would be LABEL  =  LABELED.

Some words that come to mind when I think about Vegetable Seed Starting:
Sterilization (Equipment, Medium), Misting,Temperature, Lighting, Nutrients.
I'm not too sure how they might fit into theTasks/Events, but they all are important.
I'll let you and the other Members figure that out.

I would also like to post a scan of a page from a book, that might help you think like a
'Veggie Pro' Seed Starter, would somebody tell me (step-by-step) how to do that.
I can locate the image. I don't understand the 'Additional Options' feature.
Or maybe the size is too big. ??

- Toby

Offline roiphil

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 01:22:15 PM »
George:

Happy? Me? Maybe for a little while.

I would hate to think that you would leave GA048 out of the Tasks/Events.
I assume it would be LABEL  =  LABELED.

Some words that come to mind when I think about Vegetable Seed Starting:
Sterilization (Equipment, Medium), Misting,Temperature, Lighting, Nutrients.
I'm not too sure how they might fit into theTasks/Events, but they all are important.
I'll let you and the other Members figure that out.

I would also like to post a scan of a page from a book, that might help you think like a
'Veggie Pro' Seed Starter, would somebody tell me (step-by-step) how to do that.
I can locate the image. I don't understand the 'Additional Options' feature.
Or maybe the size is too big. ??

- Toby
firstly the pic needs to be hosted somewhere i use photobucket, upload your pic to photobucket, then simply copy and the IMG SRC code from photbucket into your message, if you cant do it email me the pic as an attachment i and will do it for you, look on my profile for my email address

Phil

Offline bossgard

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 04:39:07 PM »
Phil:

I think that is a long round-about procedure for attaching to a Forum Post. George had explained it to me once, and I have done it before, but I've lost track of the instructions. Your procedure would open an all new area for me to become involved with.  But, many thanks.

Maybe others might help?

If it makes any difference, my scanner will scan to PDF, BITMAP, JPEG and MULTI-TIFF. Does it make a difference?

- Toby

Offline roiphil

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 04:50:05 PM »
i dont know if it makes any difference on image type JPF TIFF etc
doing it through a picture hosted somewhere is the only way i know if there is a quicker method i would love to know

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 04:50:33 PM »
Make them jpeg.

Make a folder called temp (or whatever) on your computer
Use Tools-> Resize program GA051 in Ideas Genie Pro
Point Location for Originals to where your photos are
Point Location for Reduced copies to temp
Set the values of Max Height and Max width to 600
Select photos to be resized and click do selected

Then when you got to post a message, click Additional options, click the Browse button and locate the images in temp
That will fill the field in Attach
Do one image at a time per posting

Offline bossgard

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2010, 04:53:56 PM »
Thanks, George:

Here are two more links that might be useful for SEED STARTING, etc. They are from the same source as the ?When to Start Your Seeds?:

http://www.gardeners.com/Choosing-the-Right-Soil-for-Seedstarting/8180,default,pg.html

http://www.gardeners.com/How-to-Start-Seeds/5062,default,pg.html

Hope they are useful to somebody.

- Toby

Offline roiphil

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2010, 05:15:15 PM »
did not know you could do pics taht way, thanks will give it a try one day
very good links there toby take a look at this site more UK based but gives plenty of info
http://www.allotment.org.uk/growing_information.php

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2010, 11:50:59 AM »

Offline bossgard

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2010, 05:06:21 PM »
George:

This is an excerpt from an article concerning JOURNALING that you might want to consider. It was published in the Seattle (WA-US) Times Newspaper; 10/31/07 but still is relevant to today. ?Take a Veggie-patch Survey? authored by Bill Thorness.

JOT IN YOUR JOURNAL

?Noting the cultural needs of your plants and this year?s weather pattern will help you next season as well. Keep a garden journal, including planting dates, varieties and soil amendments used. Record growing conditions, such as weather and rainfall amounts.

Finally, keep track of harvests and yield. What was that wonderful bean that did so well? Save seed or mark the catalog for next year. Did a winter squash or pepper put out small or too-few fruit? Might want to shop for a different variety, one bred for more vigor in (y)our climate.

It?s also useful to record which vegetables were planted in each of your beds so that you can practice effective crop rotation. Because of nutrient needs and the possibility of soil-borne diseases or pests, it is advisable to not plant the same veggies in the same place year after year.

Rotate crops from a leafy plant to a root vegetable to a flowering plant to a fruit.?

(Hope it will help you.)

- Toby

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2010, 07:33:02 PM »
Thats great info, Toby.
Pile it all in here,and when the time is right we will review and see how best to accommodate each item.

Quite a lot of those things can be tracked with IG Pro.
You will learn how to record that sort of information as the Veg Project set of lessons develop.

Offline bossgard

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2010, 09:52:33 PM »
George and Other Members

I think one the hardest things to do in getting started with Vegetable Gardening for 2010 is the laying out of the Garden as to what your going to plant in each of your various beds, row by row. Most of us have limited time and space we can devote to raising veggies, and we want to get the best crop yields we can with the least amount of care.

I have purchased my vegetable seeds for 2010, and have started to prepare my Seed Planting Calendar for this year. Preparing that Calendar also depends on the planning and layout of my Veggie Garden(s), and its various Beds.

Hence;
Today?s topic (all said in one breath), because they are all part of one-and-another:
CROP ROTATION, PEST CONTROL AND COMPAN ION PLANTING.

In doing a little bit of web research, I?ve found several links on these subjects, which you other veggie growers might be interested in:
For Crop Rotation:
http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/1998/3-27-1998/rotateg.html
(I?m particularly interested in this one.)
http://www.westcoastseeds.com/topicdetail/topic/crop-rotation/
(This sounds interesting, too.)
For Pest Control:
http://www.westcoastseeds.com/topicdetail/topic/cabbageworms-and-cabbage-moths/
(Check out the rest of her pest and disease postings)
For Companion Planting:
http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/complant.html
(Heavy research here, I?ve heard of the ?Legend of the Three Sisters?, before.)
http://www.humeseeds.com/comp1.htm
(A very reliable Local source for everything Horticulture.)

Put them in the pile, George.

- Toby

Offline bossgard

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2010, 07:06:36 PM »
George:
I consider myself very lucky to have kept this type of information that was originally printed in a now defunct local newspaper. This is what I would call ?journaling?. So, I thought it might help you in determining what and how you might put together the forth coming ?JOURNALING? program. I am putting these into GENERAL TASKS at the moment, so I can glance at them as the dates appear. They are very helpful to me! I?m not scheduling tasks for them as yet.
Since it is February in the Pacific Northwest, here are four weeks work all laid out for me:
 1st WEEK ? FEBRUARY:
Plant bare root berries, grapes, rhubarb, fruit and shade trees, as well as shrubs and vines. Top-dress asparagus with composted manure. This feeds these ravenous plants, and deters weeds. Check out nurseries for good selections of winter-flowering shrubs, including Camellia sasanqua, white and pink heath, sweet-scented virburnum, wintersweet and witch hazel. Deadhead hydrangeas and other summer bloomers now, as this year?s leaf-buds swell.
2nd WEEK ? FEBRUARY:
It?s prime time to repair fences and gates. Remove black, rotted tops of dormant perennials, and lightly trim back perennials with stiff dry stems. But leave tops of grasses alone until new growth shows. Clean and prep lawn mower and edger before the busy lawn-grooming starts. Come to think of it, you might give the lawn a light mowing about now.
3rd WEEK ? FEBRUARY:
When soil is dry enough, weed, enrich and lightly cultivate your vegetable garden. There?s plenty of time to plant or transplant nearly any kind of tree or shrub, including roses, berries and grapes. Fertilize evergreens such as junipers, conifers, rhododendrons, azaleas and camellias with a rhododendron mix. Scatter rose- or all purpose fertilizer around roses, fruit and flowering trees, and other deciduous trees and shrubs. Examine houseplants for proper moisture and fertilize lightly. Brush dust from leaves, and treat any insect infestations with a solution of soapy water.
4th WEEK ? FEBRUARY:
Freezes and frosts can still threaten cold-sensitive plants, especially those in pots. Lightly mulch around the base of the former, and cover pots or move them to protected areas. Be sure plants under deep eves or conifers are getting enough water. Now is a good time to buy or build trellises or cages for indeterminate (free-form) tomato plants, as well as for cukes and other squash-type plants.

Finally, here is a link to a chart from Ed Hume that I think is helpful to the VEGETABLE GROWER:
http://www.humeseeds.com/seedneed.htm

Hope it all helps!
- Toby

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2010, 07:22:06 PM »
Good info, Toby. Keep it coming so I can get a feel for the kind of things needed in our new Journal program.

Offline bossgard

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2010, 10:09:11 PM »

Everyone:

I'm going to ask a question of all of you, and give you the answer that I have found.
Do you agree with that entire answer?

Q. - When does a seed become a plant?

A. - A seed becomes a plant when it germinates, or sprouts, roots begin to grow downward, and the stalk, or stem pushes upward, breaking through the soil to air.  At this point it is termed a seedling. A plant may be considered mature when it flowers and begins its reproductive cycle.

- Toby

- Toby

Offline roiphil

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2010, 01:44:45 PM »
agree with the seedling part, but at what stage does it become a plant after transplanting from the seedtray into a pot then does it become a plant, does it need to mature/flower,bear fruit etc to be defined a plant

Phil