Author Topic: New Greenhouse  (Read 9151 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: New Greenhouse
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2010, 09:26:00 AM »
Its first class Phil, with or without that coffee service.

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2010, 12:57:57 PM »
i tried the solid fuel stove when we were completely frozen and it kept the green house above minus, not sure how much as no thermometer in their, but i lit the stove in the morning, and late afternoon i filled it up with hi heat coal and turf, turned the regulator on the front to half a turn from closed (this lets the air in under the coals etc which keeps it burning) next day it was still going about 10 o'clock in the morning, then all you do empty the ash tray and re stock with more coal which is pretty good.

On fumes you get no fumes when the door is shut as all smoke goes up the flue, when you open the door to put more coals in that is when you get smoke inside

these stoves have to be constructed in the factory properly so no fumes come out of any joins because you put the stoves in kithcens, front rooms etc, in our kithchen we have a solid fuel range which we dont use its more for somewhere to put your wellies boots etc on
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 01:02:03 PM by roiphil »

Offline roiphil

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2010, 03:25:55 PM »
been doing some more to greenhouse have installed the mist system to cut down on watering

as you see at the top a length of 2x2 with 4mm pipe with mist waterers 8 in total i originally started with 2 lots of these, low down about 1 ft above staging but it did not cover area needed 90 cm, so solution take one lot away and raise the other one until it is at the correct height approx 4 ft above staging which gives me a mist coverage of 100 cm perfect,

Fed from the mains half inch heavy gauge mains water pipe onto a tap, then a silverline timer, i shall set the timer to come on for 10 minutes every hour, from the timer, hoselock connectors and normal hosepipe then reduces down to the 4mm pipe which feeds the misters, a masterpiece of head scrathching and bodging of old plumbing bits  ;D, and the wife moans when i keep old bits and bobs they came in usefull this time  ;D

hopefully it will reduce the amount of manual watering

Well the above watering method has not proven to be very good kept on getting a build up of drips when it stopped misting, as you will all know you dont want dripping water over sown seed as it washes the compost and seed away, i tried it with the misters upside down, i just turned the length of wood upside down and tried that even more drips so now i have this

7 misters in a row down the middle of the staging and it works a treat, no more drips as the spray mist does not go up high enough to wet any roof trusses etc, just enough water pressure to cover the staging

i originally started of with 2 rows, 13 misters but not enough water pressure to do the other 6 misters, as we are only gravity spring fed water, so cut one row out and move remainder to the middle, job a good one hopefully, fingers crossed, now i need to figure out how to get water to other side of greenhouse for other staging, thinking cut into mains with half inch heavy gauge and run that across floor upto a new tap on other side, but thats later

NightHawk

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2010, 04:47:38 PM »
A great bit of ingenuity there Phil.

Nice set of photos too that really show the process you're going through to build your greenhouse and get your watering system set up correctly.

A great inspiration, and tutorial, for anyone else who may want to build their own greenhouse and use that method.  8)

Keep up the good work.

Laurie.

P.S. I sense the possibility of another Gold Star coming your way at the end of this project.  You never know.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 04:49:27 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2010, 10:54:59 PM »

Patience is a virtue Phil.
May all your plants grow and exceed your expectations. ;D

Malcolm

Offline roiphil

« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2010, 10:02:50 AM »
Thank you all, it took a while to sort the watering out play here play there etc, to get it right, hopefully got it right had the misters set to come on lastnight not been and had a look yet at the success  8) or carnage  :'( more installments on greenhouse with a view to come got plans that dont need planning permission approval  ;)

had a look and all is good may have to alter the duration time the misters come on will try down to 5 mins every hour from 9pm to 8am i think and see how that goes dont want to over water, but dont want to under water
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 12:00:41 PM by roiphil »

Offline roiphil

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2010, 12:05:03 PM »

Patience is a virtue Phil.
May all your plants grow and exceed your expectations. ;D

Malcolm
i hope so some trays of veg plants are sold already about 500 plants