Author Topic: Busy gardener  (Read 12491 times)

Offline diegartenfrau

• The Musings Of A Transplanted Gardener
Busy gardener
« on: November 30, 2009, 01:15:19 AM »
George,
you are right,
I should talk more about vegetables on the forum, or talk at all. If I would be just not so busy all the time. I think I have too many hobbies and interests and those Teenage boys, boy they keep you more engaged and busy then when they were Babies. >lol<

I recently got a new sewing machine, which can do embroidery so I am looking forward in playing with that, once I can ply it out of my husbands hands, which surprised me with all of a sudden taking an interest in making very colorful clothes for himself, with my new machine, so I actually have not been using the machine much at all. I make my own lotions and soaps. Right now I am working  on making a drop cloth rug for under the Dinner table. Then I started baking my own bread. I am getting really tired of eating the same old, same old bread we can get in the bakeries in the US. Even we have some good, decent bakeries, they just limit themselves to so few breads, most of them are just white breads, that after a few months it seems you are always eating the same bread all the time. I am German, I need some Crusty Grainy Breads, something to chew and with flavor and I need variety. So now I got my new kitchen, which by the way is wonderful, I finally got a great stove, I bought some Terra Cotta tiles and it's like a baking stone in the oven (but cheaper) so I get some wonderful bread.
I made tons of jam with my home grown fruit this year also and our new neighbor who is a single guy, not much into gardening but the previous owner was a nice old lady with a big vegetable and fruit garden, planted all these trees. So this year I asked him if I could get the Grapes, Pears and Plums from his garden. I made a lot of grape juice and even started canning, which I never did much before. So now I have my pantry full of canned plums and Pears, I made grape juice, Blackberry juice, Strawberry jam, Plum jam, Blackberry Jam, Raspberriy jam, Mixed fruit jams some Plum chutney. I made German style pickles and I filled my freezer with Green Beans and other treasures of my garden. You see I'm always busy doing or making something.
There is not enough time in the year for doing everything I would like to do. I need longer days I think >lol<

Then I still got my blog, which I have neglected a bit because I first was researching so much which sewing machine to get and then I got a virus, so I really have not been on much. I am trying to learn to do a real website, I have a hard time with that, so I am planning to make my son, who is really good with that, to give me lessons.

But you also need to be able to relax, go out and have fun. There is a lot of fun to be had in Eugene during the summer. They have the most amazing festivals out here. It's only good they have a rainy winter, or I would hardly get anything done ;D

It's great that you are also growing vegetables now. Aren't they so much better then what you get in most stores. Although I have to say, if it comes to food/vegetables we live in a great place in Oregon. There is so much variety grown here and there are so many organic, sustainable farmers here, you can get almost anything. We have been buying organic, natural raised baby goat meat from the farmers market, you can get Ducks, geese, Rabbit. Even Pork, Buffalo, Beef, Lamb. And so much variety of vegetables. Even If I would not garden I still could eat like a king out here. But growing your own is so rewarding, even if you don't have perfect harvests. This year has not been that great of a growing year. Some things did not grow that well, or were eaten by bugs and snails. Snails and Slugs we had so many this year, I never seen that many snails in my life. I think it was because we mulched the pathways in the garden with leave mulch. So this year, no leaves in the paths, instead I will put down newspaper. The summer was a bit cooler this year so many of the warm season veggies did not produce as much, or too late to produce much. But I had a bumber crop of Beans and many Berries, which loved the not so hot weather. My salad crops I harvested for a long time, which shows how cool the summer was. I did not get one Zucchini, usually one has more Zucchini then you know what to do with.

The chickens have been a lot of fun, I really get a kick out of their interactions with us. I never thought chickens would be that friendly with people. They even jump on our lap when we have coffee outside.  The eggs are a great bonus, but even if they did not lay as many eggs I think they have such a calming effect, it really brings you back to earth watching them. We often just sit outside having cake and coffee watching the chickens, like watching Chicken TV.

My "des res" as you call it (I don't think I ever heard that phrase in US) is not as perfect as you think. I have a hillside yard, which is steep, we had to retain the bottom part of it to make it level so we could grow vegetables. But it is hard to have to go up and down the hill all the time. Every time you are down, you remember something you need from the shed, which is uphill. It's really difficult to get wheelbarrows or anything up the hill. Then I have a huge Oak tree, covers almost all that yard, unfortunately it is situated in the middle of the yard and so I have problems with it shading big areas of the vegetable garden. I also think it is sucking all the nutrients away from my vegetable garden. No matter how much compost, manure and nutrients I provide my vegetables are growing not as quick as they should and seem to be starved. It is actually amazing I get anything out of there. But some things just don't grow that great, I try every year again, but I have not harvested one Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower out of this garden yet. So my dream garden for the next house is going to be flat and with no 300 year old tree in it  :D
I had much more vegetables in my old California Garden on less land. I still dream about that harvest. Those nice eggplants, Peppers and tomatoes I harvested there.

I still enjoy growing my vegetables, even with all the limitations my garden gives me. I still get to eat a lot of food from there. It definitely is not a perfect garden. I do not enjoy the climbing so much. That rock wall of mine,  which the previous owner built. Is badly built too. It looks nice, when you downhill and look at all the flowers, but trying to take care of the plantings is very challenging. I fell of this wall a few times and it really is a balancing act. Badly designed it is. But what can you do, you have to work with what you got. It does hold a lot of plantings and I do have some neat plants in it, I just wished the guy who built it actually would have know what he was doing. I don't think he was really gardening in there, they just planted a few Azaleas in that wall. Otherwise they would have known the problem they built.

So I will try to come more often to the forum, but I can't promise for sure. I am a busy gal

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
Re: Busy gardener
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 08:24:07 PM »
I to am growing some veggies this year, my plot is dug ready for the frost to break the soil down (dug it when i had a digger for a week  ;D ) then i shall rotavate it come spring time, regarding chickens i used to keep them and also incubated them aswell we also had ducks and geese, goats

this is one of the old cockeral we had we called him henry and took pity on him when it was oven time, he was spared, for some reason he could not crow propely

chickens are frienly things when thet have been reared closely by humans and had daily contact and interaction

Phil

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 08:56:40 PM »
That first pic is brilliant Phil. How did you manage to "compose" that 8)
I know, I know, you told us already that you talk to dem goats ::)

Offline roiphil

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 09:05:54 PM »
the geese used to round the goats up  ;)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 09:25:02 PM »
Ah, now I see  ::)

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 11:01:57 AM »
So I will try to come more often to the forum, but I can't promise for sure. I am a busy gal
You are indeed busy Isabell. You made me feel quite exhausted just reading you long and interesting description of your life at home. I must say I can't get used to the American use of the term "yard". That is defined in the Cambridge English Dictionary as "an area of land next to a building which is covered with concrete or other hard material"  :). Your description of all the home made bread and conserves makes my mouth water too.

chickens are frienly things when thet have been reared closely by humans and had daily contact and interaction
You are quite right Phil, I think chickens are underestimated as pets (productive ones too). Here is a Rhode Island Red belonging to a relation of ours perching on his wrist!

Keep up the good work both of you. My days are almost past for veggie growing I'm afraid, not that I do very much of it, just the bean, marrows courgette and tomato type of thing, and fruit of course. 

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 03:35:11 PM »
I think you are qualify, Eric! Thats a nice range of home produce!

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 03:42:07 PM »
Thank you George. I forgot leeks. I have just dug one up to make some Cock a Leakie soup. I dunked it in a bucket that was full of rainwater to clean it up a bit before taking it indoors and had to break a thin layer of cat ice to do so  ::)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 04:32:30 PM »
Yes, we had that all day frost yesterday. I harvested the last of our beetroot then cut a hedge to fill a brown bin.
The local council empty it once every two weeks and I hate to disappoint them with it being empty. Its usually full to capacity!
I was close to frostbite in my fingers and toes. That feeling when you come into the heat is painful :)

My dad used to keep those Rhode Island Red hens. Boy, the roosters were fearsome! They attacked us every time we went to feed them! Theres gratitude for you ::) He sold the eggs to the Hatcheries. We used to have an old oil fuelled incubator. A few dozen eggs which were marked with an X on once side o on the other. They had to be turned every day.
The exciting thing was when they began to hatch and out came the lovely little yellow chicks. I was a boy at the time so going back a bit here ;D

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 06:09:05 PM »
I was a boy at the time so going back a bit here ;D

I too have been doing a little bit of reminiscing, George  :), Please see see my new topic on the reversion of commons  ;D
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 06:13:05 PM by Eric Hardy »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 08:04:12 PM »
Beautiful! Ive made a reply on that topic Eric. :)

Offline roiphil

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 08:49:11 PM »
A few dozen eggs which were marked with an X on once side o on the other. They had to be turned every day.
The exciting thing was when they began to hatch and out came the lovely little yellow chicks. I was a boy at the time so going back a bit here ;D

my first incubator years ago was a diy job plywood polystyrene 2 lightbulbs and a thermostat to work the light bulbs, and a perspex front, and turn the eggs 3 times a day, i then went upmarket a couple of years ago and bought a fully automatic incubator, bliss, its in the shed somewhere, i think i would like to keep a few hens but we dont eat many eggs if any, and what the layers pellets cost over here ?8.00 for 25kg it does not seem worth it, the only difference between shop eggs and your own is the taste, even shop free range dont taste as nice as your own eggs, i have been considering hatching turkeys and selling as day olds etc but not done nothing about it yet, maybe next year who knows

Offline diegartenfrau

• The Musings Of A Transplanted Gardener
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 05:55:10 AM »
I got to chime in that egg conversation.

Actually home grown, free range eggs are much healthier for you. They have more Omega's, more of the egg Vitamins, less Cholesterol, less Saturated Fat and they don't come with all the crap they nowadays put into eggs. I don't know what they are allowed to feed the hens in the UK, but in the US, some Hens get Arsenic (makes them peck more at the food, so more food = more eggs), then they spray Animal Fats on chickenfeed, which fills them up, so less feed is used and for the Broilers it makes them grow fat, heavy faster. I am always amazed how much fat is nowadays in Store bought chickens.

This all means though, your chickens need to be able to get greens and bugs. So they need to be able to run outside or feed them your vegetable scrap, to get those Benefits
Our chickens eat a lot of greens out of the garden. Actually I use them to weed areas of the yard.

check this link out. One of my fave Magazines
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Natural-Health/Health-Benefits-Free-Range-Eggs.aspx

Isabell

Offline Palustris

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2009, 10:51:15 AM »
I find this sudden interest by a lot of gardeners, in vegetable growing rather amusing. We have been growing Veg in preference to other things ever since we got our first garden, 40 years ago, sheeesh.
Here we grow as much of the vegetables and fruit as we can, not because of 'fashion' but out of necessity. Our income is not that great.
So, what do we grow and not grow? (I say WE advisedly, as my wife is now the main Veg grower, she is better at it than I ever was!).
Aritchokes we have tried and do not like them so no point growing them.
Asparagus, love the stuff and had a large bed of it. Sadly for some reason one of my tablets make even the most succulent spears taste bitter and since only me liked it, they went.
Broccoli, love it, both the heading type and the sprouting one.
Broad beans, lovely raw in salads and as additions to various vegetarian dishes. Not keen on them as a separate veg though.
Brussels Sprouts. Like them but this is another one which is made bitter. The super sweet ones are ok though.
Beetroot, Red and yellow. The white ones we did not like at all.
Cabbage. Various types to provide greens most of the year.
Cauliflower.
Carrots. We have major trouble with root fly so can only grow a few of these in the polytunnel.
Fennel. Does not do well here, but even when it bolts the stems are useful as additions to other dishes.
Kohl Rabi. This is a superor tasting Swede.
Lettuce, various types
Leek mmmmmmmmmmmm.
Onions, Sadly we have white rot in the soil so we cannot grow these any more.
Potatoes. First earlies and a few seconds. Do not bother with main crop as we have to get them out before the Blight hits.
Parsnips, mmmmmmmmmmm
Radish
Shallots
Scorzonera
Salsify
Swede
Tomatoes

I am sure I have missed a lot out in that list, will have another thunk!

Fruit.
Apples, Pears, Damson, plums, Greengages, raspberries, strawberries, Worcesterberries (no longer, bushes too too thorny), loganberries, chokeberries, blueberries, blackberries, quince, medlar (yuck) and Cherries sweet and sour. And again I am sure there are other soft fruits missing.
A fair amount I think!

Offline Palustris

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2009, 10:53:38 AM »
Knew it. French beans in three varieties Red, green and yellow. Not Runnner beans we do not like them.
Peas
Pea beans.
Sweet corn (How could I forget that?)
Squash of various types.

Still sure there are others too.

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2009, 04:22:35 PM »
Lovely selection, Eric! You put me to shame! I have an eighty-nine year old very long standing friend who still does almost as many things as you and does his own digging at that age . That puts me even more to shame  :-[

PS I just read this out to Anthea and she said "But we DO have LOVELY flowers !!!"  :D

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2009, 04:45:02 PM »
Well spoken Anthea!

I imagine the garden has contributed in no small way in keeping your eighty-nine year old friend fit and healthy. Its great exercise, and as we all know very rewarding, both for veg growers in the produce and to plant lovers for the satisfaction.

P.S.
I ran this through the spell checker.
It offered an alternative for eighty-nine.
Guess what it suggested?
lightning
I'll bet he has been all his life!

Great range of plants there Eric (palustris). That and the huge range of flowers and shrubs you grow 8) That puts me to shame!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 04:47:03 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Palustris

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2009, 05:48:02 PM »
Forgot about the Capsicums and the Chillis and the Corn Salad and Spring onions and Mizuma.
Still think there may be other things yet too.
Cannot take credit for the Veg, as I said my wife grows them far far better than I ever did.
There are some I would love to try as well.
We have a few nice flowers too!  ;D

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2009, 07:17:15 PM »
Indeed you have (a few nice flowers) Eric.
And just as a reminder, heres the web site we've done with your photos:
http://www.ideasforgardens.net/palustris/

Offline Palustris

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2009, 09:50:00 AM »
Said I had forgotten something(s). Currants, red white and black.

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2009, 09:54:03 AM »
What more? Aren't veggies on your data base Eric  ;D

Offline Palustris

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2009, 11:53:52 AM »
 ;D Never got round to putting the flowers on it never mind the Veg and fruit.
Also forgot about Jostaberry.  There are also Yard long beans to add to the Veg list.
When you list them like that it does seem a lot, but then we do not eat much meat. There are 3 freezers all full of produce which hopefully will last until next seasons crops begin.
And in 10 mins or so I shall have a bowl of home made from home grown things, Leek and Potao soup with a generous sprinkling of Chives and a piece of home made bread, followed by a couple of Court Pendu Plat apples.
Then I shall carry on moving the contents of one of the compost heaps on to the Veg patch ready for SWMBO to dig in next Spring. Trying very hard to get all the jobs like this done before I am off my feet for 6 weeks or more.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 11:56:40 AM by Palustris »

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2009, 02:00:47 PM »
Sounds as though you could withstand a seige, Eric  :). Your lunch sounds terrific too.

You mention being off your feet for six weeks. Is this a hip operation or something?

Offline Palustris

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2009, 04:28:19 PM »
As long as they did not cut the electricity we could last a fair few weeks!  ;D
Actually we have been stocking up since I am the only driver and so no shopping trips for my wife. The nuisances have just told me that the opereation to fuse the bone in my big toe has been postponed till after Xmas. Very very annoying as we had made all sorts of necessary arrangements for it before then. Now we have to work out how to do it all later.

NightHawk

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2009, 06:04:43 PM »
Just had to jump in here guys and make a comment.

We're not 'busy gardeners' at the moment as we're still up to our eyeballs in getting our house in order for selling.  Currently have the painter and decorator in - he was delayed about two weeks from getting started as he got swine flu  :o  Anyway, he's over that now.

I have been monitoring the Forum activities to keep up-to-date with current events.  Haven't really had time to get involved too much though, but decided I'd better say something.

Sorry to hear about your hospital disappointment Eric, seems to have thrown a spanner in your plans.  :(

Our garden is pretty much taking care of itself at the moment, so not much to worry about there.  ::)  We've never really got into vegetable growing.  Kathy can blame me for that.  She can pretty much eat any vegetable going, but I am the picky one.  Carrots, peas and potatoes are about my range of preferred vegetables I'm afraid.  I know, very boring  ::) but that's just me.

Keep up the good work.  This topic is going well, and I'll keep looking in on you from time to time.  ;)

Laurie.