Author Topic: The first cold nights of the approaching winter  (Read 3869 times)

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
The first cold nights of the approaching winter
« on: October 14, 2009, 06:42:00 PM »
We had a +1.3 in the back garden a couple of nights ago, and the weekend night temperatures are supposed to get lower.
So have been cutting down the Dahlias in pots and storing them away, we leave them in their pots for the winter, we try to bring them in with soil fairly dry, come the spring and we knock them out of teir pots and remove as much old soil as possible then pot them back into the same pots with new soil.

I have also cut all the leaves off the bananas, ready for the shelters to be built around them. The shelters are prefabricated and we reuse them every year. Basically they are wooden oblong frames about 1 metre by 3 metres tall which are covered with 2 layers of bubble insulation.
Thee are four of these frames. There is a wooden square of 3"x2"timber which sits on bricks on the soil, and 4 uprights arise from each corner, the insulated frames are fixed to these uprights, which makes a box around the banana trunks. There is then a roof fitted.
The trunks have fleece wrapped round in the form of a wigwam, a 60watt lamp is placed in a clay flower pot, this is controlled by a very accurate thermostat. The thermostat has a very small cut in and out point. Thermostat made from a Maplin electronics kit, with a few modifications by myself.

The temperature of the greenhouse, and one of the Banana shelters plus the outside temperature is transmitted back to a display in the house, max and min of all three thermometers are shown on this display. Another of Mr Gadgets toys ;D

The storing away of the tender plants and more places to store them will continue for about a week, depends how much paid work I have.
 A reminder that we do have over 200 tender plants in pots  ::)

Plenty to do

Malcolm
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 06:43:58 PM by Lyn and Malcolm »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: The first cold nights of the approaching winter
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 07:02:27 PM »
Yes, plenty to do indeed, yet you found time to give this very detailed account Malcolm!
Once again, I salute you :)

When you say soil for the Dahlias, do you mean compost or do you have a special mix?
What size of pots do you find are good for growing Dahlias on pots? (Approx Dimensions if you can)
Interesting!!

As for those shelters - well, that is ingenious. How do you store that stuff in summer????

The Mr Gadget controls are impressive, thats for sure. I can imagine the anxiety as you see those temperatures plummet during cold snaps in winter!

200 tender plants in pots? Malcolm, you are a star. I'm simply in awe.

I hope the paid work is good AND you find time to do your duties. Good luck on you :)

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 09:54:44 PM »
sounds like you have your work load there malcolm,
Coming from the uk myself it still amazes me the difference in temperature, we have palms round here 20 plus foot tall, today i was outside in t shirt, below is a pic of our expected tempertures for the next 5 days

been told that we will have a hard winter this year, the ice may stay around for more than half a day  ;D it may even snow  8)

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 08:29:11 AM »

George wrote

When you say soil for the Dahlias, do you mean compost or do you have a special mix?
What size of pots do you find are good for growing Dahlias on pots? (Approx Dimensions if you can)
Interesting!!

The soil is a mix of 50% John innes no 3 and 50% peat based (or whatever) potting compost. We use this mix for most of our plants in pots.
The pots for dahlias are about 15 inches tall and 12 inches across at the top.

Because the frames for our "structures" are flat, in the garage above my car, the full width of the garage has some wooden shelving. The frames just push into the racks, also the upright posts. It is like driving the car into a tunnel, must remember to make sure the aerial is down on the roof of the car ;D

We had a minus point two centigrade on Saturday night. Pretty well all tender plants now in their winter quarters.

Malcolm

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 08:58:43 AM »
You are well organised Malcolm!
Thanks for the info on the Dahlia pots and the compost. May try some in pots next year.
I grew Bishops Children this year from seed and as you know the hit rate is always good with Dahlias, so I had a few spare, even after giving quite a few away to my sons and sisters. Great plants!