Author Topic: Demo for Farmyard Nurseries, Wales, UK  (Read 5853 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Demo for Farmyard Nurseries, Wales, UK
« on: February 14, 2006, 02:00:21 PM »
My offer to do a demo Plant Finder Catalog on CD for Farmyard Nurseries has been accepted.

Heres their website:
http://www.farmyardnurseries.co.uk/

Prices look reasonable!

I requested a copy of their Electronic Plants list.
It was in WORD.
Now I learned something today. Iasked Angela at Farmyard if she could supply it in Excel or Acess format,and she said she would import the WORD file into Excel.
I didnt think that would work so I gave it a try myself.
It worked!!!
Not perfectly neat (some data in the wrong fields) but good enough for me to work on.
Ive been working on it an hour or so and its already looking good.

So, project No 2 folk.
Has anybody bought plants from them?

Usual question... any photos of their plants, or at least, plants in their database?

If you'd like to help, I'll send you a copy of the Flower Genie SWAP CD with the 2659 plants loaded.
You'll be able to import plants from it into your own database, so immediately of benefit. (You probably didnt even know it did that!)

« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 10:45:07 AM by ideasguy »

Offline mikesanders

Re: Demo for Farmyard Nurseries
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 11:40:23 PM »
Yes, I have been in email contact with Angela at Farmyard Nurseries over the past few days; initially searching for escallonia, and then, when I received their electronic listing, I was interested in their selection of irises.  I am particularly looking for varieties that are essentially "dwarf"- 12 inches  to 18 inches which will tolerate water to their crown or perhaps an inch or so below it.  Angela has suggested I. ensata and I. laevigata and I am now waiting for a list of varieties that meet my requirements.
Service is good and prices seem competitive.

I hope the project between Farmyard and IG is beneficial to both parties.

Mike Sanders

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Demo for Farmyard Nurseries
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 07:49:12 PM »
Good to see you back Mike, and delighted that you have made contact with the folk at Farmyard Nurseries so we can get this thread moving.

Its even better to know that you have found they offer good service.

A bit soon to ask you for photos yet, but bear in mind that the Farmyard Nurseries CD, if it gets the green light, will require
at least one decent photo of each plant. Personally, I would love to see the finished article. Its not that difficult.

Irises are great plants. Hope they turn out good for you. It would be great if you could keep us informed here on what you decide to plant.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Demo for Farmyard Nurseries, Wales, UK
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006, 09:22:07 AM »
Did you get your plants Mike?

TO ALL:
Ive been in touch with Angela at Farmyard again this week, and asked for a photo to use on the CD and CD case.
This was duly supplied by email, a lovely photos of a Helleborus orientalis.
I got to work and have the CD label and CD Case designed and printed (was able to use all the design work from Jo Bogaert catallog, so an easy matter).
So - now I'm looking for photos.
Have a visit to their web site.
http://www.farmyardnurseries.co.uk/
If you have photos of any of the plants on their plants list, I'd be very grateful for them, to use in the demo.

I'll gladly send a free copy of the CD in exchange for photos. Please send these by email to:
ideasguy@gmail.com

« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 09:25:26 AM by ideasguy »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2006, 12:14:26 AM »
Today, after a few weeks of sun and very high temperatures, we had rain. LOTS of rain.
So, I got to work on the Farmyard demo again, and got it more or less completed.

I also did a few tweaks to FG037. I used that program to make the Catalog.
You can see how its done by going into preferences, and checking "I'm an advanced user"
Then when you use FG037,and click "Who sells this" when a plant is selected, you'll see a line saying "Right click on this line to add a supplier"
Proceed from there.

I'll get it sent to Angela this week, and see what the reaction is. If I get approval from Farmyard, I want every Flower Genie user to see the demo. Its actually a very userful CD. You can browse through 2674 plants, see photos of the ones Ive linked, and click a button to add the plant from the CD to your own database.
You can compile a wish list of the plants you wish to buy on your own hard disc.

Since my latest Nurseries are mail order only, I will develop a Mail order program to go with the CD's, if the reaction from Nuseries and Seed suppliers is favourable.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 06:14:57 PM »
I'm appealing for a photo.

I would like the user to be presented with a photo as soon as they start Flower Genie and access the Farmyard catalog.
The software presents the first plant in the database, beginning with A
In the case of Farmyard, that plant is:
Abelia 'Confetti'

Does anyone have a photo of this plant. If not, a photo of any Abelia would do for purposes of the demo, and if it is taken further, we can change it to the real thing.
I have photos somewhere of my own Abelia x grandiflora. While I'm hunting, perhaps someone could oblige.
If you can help, please email to
ideasguy@gmail.com
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 06:52:05 PM by ideasguy »

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 11:16:16 AM »
I have an abelia grandiflora in my garden (still a little one). Can you use a picture of it? Its discrete flowering has nearly ended.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 12:16:00 PM »
Yes please Andre, it will do the job, I'm sure.

Please send to ideasguy@gmail.com

I have one in my garden, and I did take photos. I spent a long time last night searching for it - unsuccessfully.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 01:08:01 PM »
Ive done some surfing on the web and have been amused by the findings.
Have a look at this very good web page:
http://www.plantpress.com/plant-encyclopedia/plantdb.php?plant=8567
You'll find it referred to as:
Abelia 'Confetti' Syn.: Abelia 'Conti'
Incorrect!

Here it is in its correct FULL name:
http://www.rhs.org.uk/Databases/HortDatabase.asp?ID=117103
i.e.
Abelia × grandiflora Confetti = 'Conti' (PBR) (v)

Note that the cultivar name is 'Conti'
The Trade designation is Confetti. This should NOT be put into single quotes.

Conti and Confetti are one and the same plant, and NOT a synonym.

Go on the net, and check it out. You'll find very good examples of the confusion that this Trade Designation system generates!

Tip: If your stuck for a correct name, go directly to the RHS Plant Finder on line.
Have fun!

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 10:08:14 PM »
Yes please Andre, it will do the job, I'm sure.

Please send to ideasguy@gmail.com

I have one in my garden, and I did take photos. I spent a long time last night searching for it - unsuccessfully.

George, I take it for granted it were the pictures you were looking for during the night and not the plant itself?? Plants dancing around and playing hide-and-seek are a very rare phenomenon.
I'll send the photo wednesday afternoon

« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 10:09:53 PM by greenfinger »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2006, 10:26:08 PM »
Hi Andre
In actual fact, I'd forgotten about the actual plant until this subject arose.
Indeed, I pruned it on Saturday, as it had sent out a few low horizontals which were encroaching on neighbouring plants, and was acting as host to a Clematis Nelly Moser (which needed some pruning and tying in to its designated trellis).
Then on Sunday, I needed the photo, and I remembered its name! Its not in flower this at this time.
Hope the blooms last long enough for you to get a photo! I'll wait until Wednesday, and thank you so much.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2006, 05:10:32 PM »
Update on this project.
Andres Abelia photos were just fine, and were used.

Thanks also to Chrissie. I sent a draft of the CD to her for testing. She pointed out a few mis-spellings.
Ive discovered another "problem" word.
I spelled Herbaceous as Herbacious. Thanks for the corrections Chrissie.

My other problem word is Propagation... my brain thinks it should be propogation.

Good news is, the demo catalog on CD was despatched to Angela at farmyard today.
Hope they like it.

I merged their plants into the Master database. It has now grown to 9100+ plants.