Author Topic: Plants from Lidl  (Read 4960 times)

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
Plants from Lidl
« on: July 02, 2009, 10:26:49 PM »
Often buy plants from Lidl as they are cheap and chearfull  ;) today picked up a Hibiscus Syriacus with a blue flower on the label, so i assume it flowers blue anything else known about this plant in a word no  ::) as the labels dont say a lot on some plants from Lidl, but it was cheap ?4.99 hope that cheap anyway

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Plants from Lidl
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 10:45:35 PM »
I have a couple in the garden Phil. Lovely foliage, but they need a lot of sun to flower properly.
Your Lidl price seems quite good. Ive bought some plants from them in the past and they were good quality.
Get it planted and perhaps you can keep us updated in this topic as to how it performs.

Offline roiphil

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 09:46:31 AM »
its going in the front bed which gets sun all day, that big hole i made  ;) update on that 3 trailer loads of horsemuck,

i then found from when the house was built 20 years ago a fair bit of sand and it had been left and had overgrown with grass, seeing at it was in the area wher the new drive is going in we dug it out and put it in the bed along with some soil from undernaeth the sand, leaving it to settle now and let the weeds come  through i  can then spray it with a suitable killer like roundup  ;D, leave it for a while and get bales of peat when there on special offer buy 2 get 1 free add the peat and then plant,

this is a no dig bed as digging brings up more weed seeds so hopefully not digging it will be minimun amount of weeds come through, hopefully, thats my plan anyway

Offline Palustris

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 12:16:00 PM »
Your shops must be better than any round here. the plants I looked at today were for want of a better word 'rubbish' I would not even pay 50 pence for any of them.

Offline roiphil

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 01:37:11 PM »
Your shops must be better than any round here. the plants I looked at today were for want of a better word 'rubbish' I would not even pay 50 pence for any of them.
I think it all depends on how soon you get there, when the shop got them, if they water them which i doubt, and how many times other customers have moved them around and broken bits off to get to better plants  ::), what i do is always get a palnt if i want one on the day they come in which tells you in their leaflets each week plus http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/i.home

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 09:04:11 AM »
Getting there early is a very good idea  ;)

I have to confess to buying the last pack of Calibrochoa (Million Bells) in a local Tesco store this year and they were wilting badly.
I brought them home, gave them a good soak, and they are now blooming like crazy in my hanging baskets  :)
This practice is not to be recommended :D