Author Topic: Testing required - Sample label stock from Ripped Sheets  (Read 28539 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Testing required - Sample label stock from Ripped Sheets
« on: June 19, 2009, 12:05:48 AM »
For easy reference, EDITED to insert a link to the Project which goes with this topic.
http://www.ideasgenie.co.uk/Labels/RippedSheets/rippedsheets.html

Toby (aka the Boss) has been working with me on the Labels program for a couple of years now.
He has made contact with Avery, Orion and Ripped Sheets (in the US) and has obtained samples.
Ive designed a number of templates to allow him to use IG Pro to produce labels using the samples.
Toby has been doing very practical tests to ascertain if they are good for our horticultural applications.

Toby was impressed with the results of the tests on the Ripped Sheets labels.
The ones which did well in his tests are adhesive backed, suitable for sticking to a number of surfaces (pots, label supports etc)

He made contact with them again, explained about the IG Pro label printing facility, and organised more free samples for us both.
Mine arrived a week ago (in actual fact - before Toby received his!).

I now have 5 sheets and Toby has suggested I let our members have a sheet each to try them out.

We need to record the results and if they prove suitable, I could order a stock (in bulk) for use by IG Pro users on this side of the Atlantic.

The ones recommended are designed for Ink-jet printers, using normal ink cartridges.
Heres the details on the sample sheets:
http://www.rippedsheets.com/inkjet/outdrperma.html

Note this:
Rippedsheets.com exclusive 104000 Waterproof White Vinyl Permanent Self Adhesive has special chemistry that turns all inkjet inks into waterproof inks in one pass through the printer

and this:
The clear acrylic adhesive is permanent on many surfaces

I'm now designing a number of templates for US sized sheets (8.5 x 11 ins), the size of the sample sheets.

Ideally, we would like to hear the results from a number of different (inkjet) printers.

If you have an application for adhesive backed labels, and would like a sample sheet for testing, then please let me know what size of labels you would find useful (as you know, one sheet can produce a number of labels,depending on the template).

Currently "the team" are testing a template with 16 labels per sheet (Portrait Photo, Name above photo, Text to right and text below)
I can do more templates per your specific requirements. Remember, make sure its something of genuine use to you, so there is  practical purpose to the exercise.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 12:14:09 PM by ideasguy »

Offline bossgard

Re: Testing required - Sample label stock from Ripped Sheets
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 05:36:33 AM »
I think that we are very fortunate to have received these Ripped Sheets #10400 sample labels to test with IG Pro GA048. It?s not every label manufacturer that will do that free of charge, even paying for the postage to get them to George and myself.

I still have the first Ripped Sheet samples that I tested outside in the weather; the ink (Epson DuraBrite) is just as clear and sharp as the day printed. The color photo is the sharpest and clearest that I have ever seen reproduced on label stock. The adhesive has stuck to all the materials I used for testing; pots of terracotta and plastic, ceramic, glass, plastic potstics, painted metal. The Avery control labels didn?t do to well.

A wonderful lady has been my contact at Ripped Sheets. And yes, she did ask a favor in return.

She would like to have those that are testing the label stock inform her, the results of testing using the various INKJET printers. I told her that I would be happy to comply with that request.

I am starting to pull together a ?score-card? that might help us keep track of that information. So I ask the question; ?What to you, makes a good gardening label?? How long should the adhesive stick? What material(s) are you sticking it to? How long should the printing last? What happens when it gets wet, when it?s splashed with fertilizer, or pesticide, or herbicide? When it?s handled by a dirty garden glove, or rubbed by another container? All of these things would be important to me! What?s important to you?

Also, I would like to have the UK label team discuss among themselves how long of a period it would want to continue the testing? 3 months, 6 months, 9 months, a year?

Malcom, as I understand you have an Epson Printer that uses DuraBrite ink, would you please use that for a ?control? set of labels? The other members of the team could then base their results on how their random inkjet labels are holding up against DuraBrite ink.

Another thing that I have found useful in my testing of the various labels; as part of the data, I would include the label stock number (in this case #10400), the model and make of printer (abbreviated), and the approximate date of putting the label to test.

The GA048 label program and resultant testing has been very exciting to me, and as far as I am concerned, I will continue to use the Ripped Sheets labels! They have worked out very well for me! If the random inkjet inks will adhere to the Ripped Sheets label surface, then we?ve got it made! Good luck!

(I?m testing four different inkjet printers here in the US as I label my Tuberous Begonias.)

- Toby

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 09:39:24 AM »
Very well written Toby, and many thanks for initiating this project.

The Score Card is a good idea. We can gather the input from replies on this topic and then compile the results.
Should be very interesting, and a good promotion for our Label Printing program (GA048)

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 09:43:31 AM »
If you have a sheet of labels approx size 50mm by 30mm i will try out on my bed labels ussing my kodak printer with normal inkjet ink, its the printer that you see advertised on telly saving x amount of money on ink each year, inkcartridge packaging says kodacolour technology means image quality speed and longevity in every print,

thats if your still loooking for guinea pigs  ;) ofcourse
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 09:46:30 AM by roiphil »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 10:29:18 AM »
Thats a good application Phil.
Need a photo? Might be a bit small!
If not, one Rich text data field would be perfect for your text.

Offline roiphil

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 10:31:38 AM »
if you think suitable and you need guinea pig and you have label that size you can voluntear me  ;)  :D  ;D agree not suitable size for pictures

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 10:36:13 AM »

Count me in please

More later

Malcolm

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 11:01:47 AM »
OK Malcolm.

Offline gardenexpert

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 06:43:16 PM »
Please send me a sample to try out on my HP Photosmart 7350. Will be very interested to see how effective this is as in my experience only laser printing works for outdoor use. :)

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 09:58:39 PM »

Malcom, as I understand you have an Epson Printer that uses DuraBrite ink, would you please use that for a ?control? set of labels? The other members of the team could then base their results on how their random inkjet labels are holding up against DuraBrite ink

Yes Toby I have the Durabrite inks in a Epson C86 printer.
Also have a Canon ip4500 that uses Chromalife ink.

So those would make a good comparison

Malcolm

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 10:19:37 AM »
I only have one sheet per volunteer, unfortunately.
Which Printer/Ink would you prefer Malcolm to use Toby?

Offline bossgard

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 04:56:03 PM »
Malcom:

Gosh! That is kind of a hard decision to make.

I know from my own experience that the Epson DuraBrite ink is good, and has lasted out in the weather for as long as I have been using it. I thought since you had the printer, it might make a good ?control? to judge how the other printer inkjets being tested by others were holding up.

Yet, if you use the other printer, it would give us just that more of a test on assorted inkjet printers.

You do have an alternative, though. You could run part of the labels on your #10400 sheet with the Epson and the other remaining labels with the other printer. Just select only a partial amount of labels on the sheet for the Epson. Then work with the other printer, and select the remaining labels. That way, it would give you a method of testing both, one against the other, and for the others member?s printers, too. I would choose this method, myself!

What do you think, Malcom?

- Toby

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 07:10:51 PM »
Yes George and Toby

That is what I thought I could do, best of both worlds.

Malcolm

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 07:17:26 PM »
Sorry about having such a limited supply folk.
If they look lihe they are going to satisy our needs I will investigate purchasing a stock.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 10:53:10 AM »
This project was shelved for a number of reasons. Its now time to continue.

Ive been corresponding with Rpped Sheets again, and I'd like to get the sample sheets to the volunteers for testing.

We'd like feedback from you on this, so we can ascertain how suitable the material is for our applications, and to report back to Ripped Sheets. Toby drew up a recording sheet for this purpose. I'll include a printed copy in your pack.

Only one sheet per volunteer unfortunately, so be sure to do a preview before attempting to do your final print.

Remember
Since the pages are plain (you can use a guillotine or scissors to cut after printing), there are a number of label designs (templates) which you can use for this test.
e.g.

US Paper size Label templates allowing you to print data only
Avery #5366 - Letter size (US)15x2  = 30 labels
Avery #6577 - Letter Size (US)16x2 = 32 labels (this design allows you to print data only)

US Paper size Label templates allowing you to print data and a photo
Avery #5523 - Letter size (US) 5x2  = 10 labels
Avery L7173 and L7160X         5x2
Orion #311-54LC                2x1      = 2 labels (this design allows you to print data and a photo)

US Paper size Label templates allowing you to print data and a photo (Rich Text)
US (Letter Size) 4x4 Landscape 4x4 

etc

Please send me an email to reaffirm that you'd like a sample sheet sent to you for testing

NightHawk

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2010, 01:42:14 PM »
I'm volunteering George, and I've sent you a separate email about it.

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2010, 01:53:35 PM »
Thanks Laurie :)

Offline Palustris

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2010, 03:41:56 PM »
Sorry George, no printer any more. Since we so rarely used the one we had when it died we decided there was little point in getting a replacement.

Offline roiphil

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2010, 04:46:15 PM »
Replied to your email george If you have a sheet of labels approx size 50mm by 30mm i will try out on my bed T labels using my kodak ESP 5 printer inkjet ink , as these are left outside all year round in my front bed, no size for a picture though will have to be just text, think the picture will be too small to make it worthwhile on the label

Phil

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2010, 02:00:26 PM »

Email sent to George

Malcolm

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2010, 06:44:35 PM »
Thanks Malcolm ;)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2010, 02:22:04 PM »
The labels were posted to the four "volunteers" today.
I kept one for my own testing.

Toby has suggested we use a score sheet to record our results, for comparison purposes.
I will send that to you by email.

He has also suggested we all use the same Label Template, again for comparison purposes.
Avery #5523 is my suggestion.
It is 5x2 = 10 labels, and has both text and photos.

Please make up a set of labels in preparation for arrival of the labels, folk.
Dont print until I confirm that #5523 meets the approval of "The Boss"
Be sure to test in Preview mode.
Then do a print on A4 plain paper.
When OK, use the actual Ripped Sheets page.
Only one sample per person, I'm afraid so you only get one go at it :o

NightHawk

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2010, 10:26:24 AM »
Just to confirm George, the sheet of labels you sent me has just arrived here.  :)

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2010, 10:44:30 AM »
Thanks for confirming Laurie. I was a little concerned about how it would travel.

Note that there is a little Ripped Sheets label on one side.
You print on the other (white) side.
After printing, you need to slice with a guillotine/strimmer to make the individual labels, then peel off the backing strip.

Hold on just for the moment though.
Toby is OK with the #5523 template, so you can design and get that to preview stage.

Toby has suggested we try the labels on different materials (e.g. Plastic pots, Plant Pins, trays, terracotta pots etc)

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2010, 09:34:45 PM »

Thanks George Mine arived today.

Malcolm