Author Topic: Brugmansias or as they used to be called Datura  (Read 3138 times)

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
Brugmansias or as they used to be called Datura
« on: May 01, 2009, 06:25:50 PM »
Last Autumn we bought 3 new brugmansias, to add to our collection, they were about a metre tall and cost aroun £16 each.

Our garden is well known for Brugmansias by our visitors, and we sell about 35 good plants on our open days.
I reckon we will get a lot of requests for the one pictured below, but we won't have any for sale till next year.

This is it's first flowering, it is still in our conservatory at the moment.
Brugmansias flower throughout the summer in waves, they flower, then have a rest for about 3 weeks, then flower again.
We have to cut them down before the first frosts before we can get them in under cover for winter, when we cut them down it is then that we take the cuttings.

We feed the Brugmansia quite a lot with a high potash feed every week or less, helps promote flowers and colour.

What do you think about this one, Pink Perfection, ok or over the top?  ;D The pink part of the flower is over 12 inches long. And it is a double flower. Very highly scented after about 5pm, so the visitors rarely get to smell them, unless of course they buy one.  ;D

« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 06:28:32 PM by Lyn and Malcolm »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Brugmansias or as they used to be called Datura
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 10:55:36 PM »
Its a beauty Malcolm! Photos are excellent, as always  ;)

I didnt know they had evening scent, so thats yet another plus. Are all varieties of that Genus scented?

I remember seeing you taking that cutting during the TV program. I was taken by the thickness of the stem of the cutting. It looked like a strong looking plant.
Have you any information on what is the hardiest variety?