Plants > Clematis

Clematis: Plant care

<< < (2/4) > >>

Lyn and Malcolm:

Yes we will prune down to some sign of life, and it will normally provoke the plant to send up shoots from the base on group 3 plants.
Group 2 the plant is generally a much weaker growing plant, but if you are brave, or foolish, the plant will usually respond to cutting back reasonably hard, otherwise you can end up with a bare bottom.  :o and weak growth. We have lost some group 2 in the past for no apparent reason.

Feeding, well when we prune, we feed with a handfull of potash per plant, and also liquid feed every 10 days or so with a high potash feed such as Chempack 4. and stop feeding when the first flowers show.

Kakio or Pink Champagne that started flowering today

ideasguy:
Thanks for the info Malcolm. That is very valuable, particularly in the case of Group 2.
I have a very nice one in bloom at present, for more than a week now.
Clematis 'Pauline' is clambering up and over the top of the arch in my front garden, and a mass of bloom.
Took photos today havent uploaded yet (new edition Bank Genie and all that)

Thats a beauty in the photo youve posted Malcolm  :) I bet you love spring to see those flowers appearing again.

Lyn and Malcolm:
I forgot to say that pruning a group 2 in spring, will delay flowering for a month or two, depending how low you prune it.  :o

It is a nice time to see the clems starting to flower again George, and by the number of buds on most, it's going to be good this year.  ;D

There are some nice clems in the Atragene group, like your Pauline.

Malcolm

ideasguy:
I uplooaded the photos from the camera and had a look at them at end of day.
Disappointed. Pauline in my pics looks more blue than in reality (I had another check on "reality" as I walked through the garden before going to work.)
I noted this morning that she has flowers from as low as 1 foot to where the mass of flowers at higher level and over the arch.
Well deserving of the AGM in my opinion!
Hadnt researched to find she was part of the Atragene group, so thanks for that info.
Thanks to the support on this forum, I'm getting more interested in Clematis. They do well in my garden, and its worth concentrating on plants that do well with ease rather than trying to battle nature trying to grow those that die out.

Incidentally, on the other side of the arch I have Clematis 'Comtesse De Bouchaud' (als has the AGM). I see its in your plants list. That one flowered very well last year, with a good flush late in the season, much to my surprise.
Last year was very wet. Do they like those conditions?

I bought Clematis Crystal Fountain (='Fairy Blue')   two years ago. Its growing nicely so looking forward to it blooming again.
Laurie has that one as well, and he has posted pictures elsewhere on the forum.

I fancy Clematis florida 'Sieboldii' . I had a look at your plants list, but dont see it (correct me if I'm wrong!)
Ever tried it?

Lyn and Malcolm:

Plenty of room in your garden for Clematis George, although Lyn reckons they are a lot of work.
That is because we don't have shrubs for them to climb into, but we do have lots of fences, which they dont like climbing up. So Lyn is constantly tying the growing shoots onto supports.

A word of warning about Clematis climbing into shrubs, don't do it if the Clematis is a vigorous one. It will kill the shrub.

Comtesse de Bouchard has never been strong for us. And we have found Crystal Fountain to be short lived.

C. florida sieboldii or var. sieboldiana as listed in RHS, we have had here for quite a long time, but not the same plant.
We give it some shelter in winter, and grow it in a pot.

The reason for it not appearing on our WPG was another oversight, I hadn't placed it in the review. This has now been rectified, using the picture below.

Malcolm

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version