Author Topic: Garden blog  (Read 3331 times)

Offline diegartenfrau

• The Musings Of A Transplanted Gardener
Garden blog
« on: March 24, 2009, 09:08:26 PM »
Hi,
I have been real busy over here,  ::) when am I  not busy?
I have been working steadily since early February in my vegetable garden. I am redesigning the whole thing with those English garden beds from Gardener Supply Co. Then we have been building a chicken coop, because in April I will get some chickens for eggs, it is turning into quite a palace.
Then I have been starting my vegetable starts and I am still working getting more data into IG pro, I have been researching a lot of info on how to grow Vegetables better in the Northwest, which has been a bit of a struggle for me. I am a bit spoiled from gardening  in California, where everything grew so nicely and I always had a huge harvest and I am trying to get at least close to that.
And then the whole Family had/has this cold from hell, which just won't go away, it just changes it's focus every so often. ;D

No, and I have not been neglecting my family there either, as I said I am way too busy :D

But even being that busy I finally started a Garden Blog on Blogspot. I wanted to make a website for a long time, but with my web making skills it just was to difficult to accomplish, I just don't have that much time to learn all that, maybe I get it done some time but now it is not the time for that.
So instead I decided to make a blog.
Anybody want to check it out?
It is at http://diegartenfrau.blogspot.com/

Right now I am mainly blogging about vegetable gardening and sustainability, because that's what I am busy with right now but as the season progresses I will share more of my ornamental garden, which I will have to work more soon.
I lost quite a few plants this winter, so I will be shopping for more plants soon, I guess that's what you get with Zonal denial. We have been bumped up a Zone with the Global Warming, but sometime you get a real cold winter anyway. That's what we got this year.

There I am just starting and learning to blog any critique and suggestions are very welcome

Come and visit me there

Isabell

Offline bossgard

Re: Garden blog
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 04:03:54 PM »
Isabel:

I've just did a quick trip through your Garden Blog. Please, please, continue. I have needed someone to talk to about Vegetable Growing, and so I will participate as much as I can, if you would like me to.

I, too, have had a busy workload getting ready for the growing season, it is so necessary for me to raise produce for human consumption considering the quality and prices at the public market today. It's also very important for my friends that I share my harvest with them.

Give me some time and I will get back to you. OK?

- Toby

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 08:04:18 PM »
Ive visited, Ive had a good long read, and I am very impressed, Isabell.

You are a very accomplished writer! I also think you are very modest. You have gained so much practical experience from moving from State to State, always battling against adversity.

I think you should write a book!
I would be very interested to read more about what plants worked and what didn't as you moved around the States.

As you know, in the UK, we have fairly uniform growing conditions, some slightly more favourable that others, where more tender plants will survive outdoors. However, in a mild winter, some slightly tender plants will survive in places where they are not recommended.

I know its totally different in the US. Here we talk of hardiness at the cold end of the scale, and probably it was similar in your native Germany. In the US, Ive seen on my previous forum where US members have referred to summer hardiness - where plants fail because its too hot. They use a term called "Zone Pushing" where they attempt to grow plants which are not entirely suitable for their Zone. I think you are the expert in that field!

Keep up the good work, Isabell. I will revisit to catch up on some of the many postings which I see on your blog.

If you find a few minutes, we'd love to hear from you right here on the forum. The Transplanted Gardener will always be welcome  ;)

Offline diegartenfrau

• The Musings Of A Transplanted Gardener
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 09:03:30 PM »
Gosh, you guys make me  :-[,
I am way not an expert in that garden thingy but thanks for the compliments.

I really don't think I could accomplish a book George, I am not even sure I wanted to. Some friends of mine kept pushing me for years to start a Pastry and Cake bakery, or German style Cafe, because I like to bake my own yummies, but to tell the truth, to me baking is fun, because I bake things I never would be able to buy in the US, I started baking out of necessity, because if I wanted to eat the kind of cakes one get's in Germany, you have to make them yourself. Even if a baker attempts to bake European cakes over here, they are mostly poor copies, to rich and way to sweet. If I would do it professionally, it would take all the fun out of it for me, now you are stuck on deadlines, you have to do it even if you don't feel like it.
The same would be for writing a book, with the blog I can write as I come across something, or as I have time or feel like it, no pressure. I can write one blog a month or many. That fits more my personality then having to do it because you have a schedule.

The blog for now is fun, book writing, I don't know, it is not for me. Not that I think, I would be that good of a writer anyway.

You are absolutely right about the non uniform growing conditions over here. Just because you live in Zone 8, does not mean it is the same Zone 8 then in the East Coast. It sure makes gardening challenging and interesting.
Here in Oregon, Zone 8 at the West of the Cascades is completely different then the Zone 8 on the Eastern Site of the Cascades. It is even different from Portland to Eugene. Portland get's a lot of influences from the Columbia River, which acts like a funnel for weather. So Portland get's often more icy freezes and strong winds, more rain then us, but then in the summer they often have some warmer days when the winds come in from the ocean instead of inland.
The Winter rains here leach a lot of Nitrogen out of the soil, so if you just wait long enough you will end up with acidic soil. Soil is often waterlogged in the winter but then in Summer it hardly ever rains, everything get's bone dry, soil cracks. So your plants better tolerate both waterlogged soil and dry conditions. It is even harder to find the right plants if you try to conserve water by watering less.
In North Carolina it seemed many ornamental plants had their high life in Spring up to Mid May, maybe June but then as he humidity came, with the intense heat many just fizzled out, stopped blooming, looked raggedly or disappeared for the season, to come back in fall with a bit more glory. I thought it was to hot and humid for myself, but the plants surely knew it was to hot and humid for them. Trust the plants I say, it is way too humid and hot down there to be comfortable.>lol<

Zone denial, must be a American thing? They don't do that in Europe?

Trust me, I am no expert in that. This year I lost a lot of plants, which in the first years I did not trust to leave out over the winter, but then I saw them in the ground in gardens around here and they looked like they were thriving. So this year I decided, I can leave them outside, no need to fill up my house with all those planters. Guess what, this year we had many freesing nights in a row (normally it just freezes for a few hours a night, just here and there), below the usual average temperature and many of those plants are gone now. But hey, dead plants are to be looked at favorable in some matter, now I can buy more plants >lol<
Luckily things grow faster and larger here then in the East Coast.

So please leave a comment on my blog if you can. So far I had not one visitor leaving comments.  ;)

I gotta go plant my potatoes today

till later
Isabell