Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Creative Writing / Re: Cloud cuckoo Land
« Last post by Palustris on October 10, 2022, 08:43:39 AM »
Chapter Five.

The Rolling Hills

Lemmy looked back at the town. It occurred to him that the place was very scruffy. The buildings looked as if they could use a lot of repair and a lick of paint.

He nudged the Cuckoo. "Don't the people who live in One Way Town notice how bad the place looks?" he asked.

The Cuckoo shook its head. "They are so busy minding everyone else's business that they only see what they want to see, and what they want to see is their town looking good."

"That's sad," said Lemmy.

"Very true," agreed the Cuckoo. "And even worse is that if you told them, they would not believe you. They'd conclude that you were being unpleasant and rude about their houses. They would still do nothing about it."

As they moved slowly along the road, the Great Grandfather clock chimed six times. It said "Gnob" though, rather than "Bong".

"I didn't think I had been here that long," said Lemmy.

"Time flies here," remarked the Cuckoo. "Or in this case, it flies backwards. We had better get a move on."

Lemmy chuckled. "You could always fly there," he said.

"Oh, no ,no ,no," replied the Cuckoo with a shudder. "Flying is not for me. I prefer to keep my feet firmly on the ground. I was born with a total fear of heights."

"Oh dear. "Sorry," said Lemmy.

"It does not matter," replied the Cuckoo. "In any case, it is not me who is going to put the time right, it is you."

Lemmy gave a shake of his head. "You hope," he said to himself.

Before they had gone very far, he heard the sound of a different band coming from somewhere in front of them.

"Oh dear," said the Cuckoo. "That may be a problem. There is another bandwagon coming our way."

Sure enough, even as the bird spoke, Lemmy could see another wagon. It was moving far quicker than the one they were riding, but it was going back the way they had come.

It pulled alongside. Immediately, most of the people on Lemmy's bandwagon leapt out of the back and rushed across to the new one. Most of the pushers did the same.

Lemmy and the Cuckoo's wagon came to a halt.

"I was hoping this would not happen," complained the Cuckoo.

"What?" asked Lemmy, feeling utterly confused.

"That is a much more popular bandwagon, so almost all of our people have jumped on the new one. Ours will stop here now," the Cuckoo answered. "We will have to get off and walk for a while."

Lemmy climbed down. The Cuckoo walked off, and Lemmy followed him.

After a few yards, he looked back. The bandwagon was motionless on the road. The new bandwagon was almost out of sight already.
   "What will happen to our old wagon?" he asked.

The old and abandoned bandwagon.

"It will just sit there and become old hat," the Cuckoo replied. "Very, very occasionally, an old bandwagon can start up again, but generally speaking, once the wheel pushers, the bandwagon riders, and the band have gone, the whole thing just dies."

But not to worry, we are very close to the Rolling Hills. We can ride them quite to close to the Great Grandfather Clock. "

The further away from the wagon they walked, the more and more it looked like a hat.

As promised, the Rolling Hills were very close. Lemmy was not so sure about them, though. He was used to the green, grass-covered hills that he had seen when he had been on holiday with his parents.

These hills were the same colour as the rest of the ground, a sort of whitish grey.

The rolling hills really did roll.

Still, they were actually rolling.

"Find somewhere comfortable to sit," advised the Cuckoo, "And let the hills do the work."

Lemmy sat down and felt himself gradually moving along. It was an odd sensation, rather like being on a very slow moving roller-coaster.

All the while, he could hear the Great Grandfather clock going tock-tick.

He gave a great big yawn. The motion was very soothing.

The Cuckoo poked him hard with its beak. "Don't go to sleep. The hills are not as safe as they seem."

Lemmy giggled. "Don’t tell me they are alive with the sound of music."

"Hardly likely," said the Cuckoo.

"I know then there is gold in them there hills," sniggered Lemmy.

"Even less likely," said the Cuckoo. "No, the movement often makes it rain, and here when it never rains but it pours. Worse still  the rain does not fall, it rises."

Lemmy looked puzzled.

"You'll see!" warned the Cuckoo. "Do you see that black patch of ground over there?"

He pointed off to the left.

Lemmy nodded.

"Well, just watch what happens," advised the Cuckoo.

Sure enough, it began to rain. Upwards.  It was light at first, but within seconds, the air above that bit of cloud was full of water. It did not last long, but if Lemmy had been caught in it he would have been soaked to the skin.

"Glad we missed that," said his right shoe.

"I'll say," agreed his left. "Not like the other day when we went in that puddle."

The rain fell upwards.

"Just because you have tongues does not mean you have the right to complain," said Lemmy. "If you had used your eyelets, you could have warned me, but you didn't.

Lemmy stood up and stamped his feet.

"All right, all right," said his shoes. "No need to get violent."

Lemmy and the Cuckoo spent the next hour or so watching the rolling hills turn dark and begin to rain. They were able to dodge the showers, though.

The thing that puzzled Lemmy most was where the water went. He knew that normally, when it rained, the water went down the gutters and into the gratings in the road and thence into the drains. Here the water just disappeared.

He asked the Cuckoo, who just grinned and said, "Heaven knows."
« Last post by Palustris on October 09, 2022, 10:44:20 AM »

Chapter Four.

A One Horse Town.

"Sit at the front," ordered the Cuckoo. "It is usually packed inside with the band and the pushers who manage to climb in."

"What is this?" Lemmy inquired.

"Simple," the Cuckoo replied. "This is a bandwagon. The men who are pushing it are putting their shoulders to the wheel in the hopes of eventually joining the bandwagon. Bandwagons like this are very popular."

As they rolled along, there was a scuffle in the back of the wagon, and two smartly dressed men were pushed out of the back of the wagon. Immediately, two of the wheel pushers climbed in. They were also smartly dressed in dark business suits, white shirts, and neatly fastened ties.

The men who had been ejected took their places at the wheels.

"I don't understand," puzzled Lemmy. " "Why do they want to get on the bandwagon?" It seems very crowded already."

"Ah, well, now," the Cuckoo sniffed. "You would be surprised at the number of people who do want to get on. They think that it will make them very popular. Also, it saves them from having to think of any new ideas for themselves."

"Does it work? "," asked Lemmy.

"Sometimes, the Cuckoo said. "There are an awful lot of people out there who believe everything that the men and women on the bandwagon tell them."

The wagon was pushed into the one-horse town. There was a notice by the roadside which said  "Welcome to One Way Town."

Lemmy read it out loud. "Seems a strange name for a town," he commented.

"Not really," said the Cuckoo. It only has one way and traffic is not allowed to go both ways on the town's one-way system."

Lemmy scratched his head. "So what happens if you go past where you want to stop?"

Cuckoo explained, "Then you have to go right back to the beginning," which did not really explain it at all.

The wagon moved very slowly along the street. The people on it shouted at the pedestrians, telling them to come and listen to their ideas.

No one did.

The wagon stopped outside the first shop on the street. It had a sign outside under a red and white striped pole. The sign read, "Barber and Grinder."

Lemmy knew all about barbers. He had had to suffer having his hair cut only a few days earlier.

"What is a grinder?" he asked.

"The people in this town love sticking their noses into other people's business," answered the Cuckoo. "And that makes their noses get longer and longer. As a result, they must occasionally seek assistance from the barber and grinder. He turns the wheel and they put their noses to the grindstone until they are the correct length again."

Their noses had to be shortened.

"Doesn't it hurt having your nose shortened like that?" asked Lemmy.

"Yes, of course it does, but they don't have to do that often and they forget how much it hurts, so they keep on sticking their noses in where they are not wanted."

Shaking his head, Lemmy said nothing.

The next shop had a sign that said "Windows." In the windows were lots of little window frames.

"That is so that the people here may go window shopping," explained the Cuckoo.

The third shop, whose sign read "Chips".

"Oooh good," Lemmy said. "I could eat a bag of chips right now."

"Not these chips," the Cuckoo chuckled. "These are chips off the old block. They are very hard. The people here use them to prop open doors. They like to keep their doors open so that they can see what is going on around them."

"Oh," said Lemmy. "And I suppose that the shop over there with the sign Corner Shop on it sells corners."

"Don't be silly," the Cuckoo snorted. "It is a corner shop because it is on the corner. It sells everything from aniseed balls to washing up liquid."

Shaking his head, Lemmy said, "This place is weird."

Just before the end of the town, there was a horse trough. On it was a sign which said "Drink horsy drink".

There was a horse standing by the trough. To Lemmy's astonishment, the animal was wearing clothes. It had a pair of blue trousers on its back legs, a pair of green trousers on its front ones, a striped shirt over its neck and back, and a straw hat on its head.

Lemmy nudged the Cuckoo and pointed at the horse. "I don't remember ever seeing a horse with clothes on before."

"Well, it is a clothes horse." said the Cuckoo. "And this is a one-horse town."

As the wagon slowly left the town, Lemmy heard the horse say. "You may have brought me to the water, but you can't make me drink it."

« Last post by Palustris on October 08, 2022, 09:59:10 AM »
Chapter Three.

Riding a cart.

The train moved along at a fair speed. Lemmy looked out over the side, but there was nothing much to see except grey and blue sky. After a while, the train came to a halt. "This is as far as this goes," said the Cuckoo. "Any further and we hit the buffers."

"Buffers?" asked Lemmy.

"Them," replied the Cuckoo, pointing with its beak.

In front of them was a group of ladies. Lemmy assumed they were female as they were all wearing pinafores and head scarves just like his mother did when she was cleaning.

The ladies were all very busy polishing the rails on which the Gravy train ran.

Those are the Buffers.

"Those are the buffers," said the Cuckoo. They polish the rails so the train can go along smoothly. They use spit and polish."

"Spit?" protested Lemmy. "That does not sound very nice."

"Nothing wrong with it," said one of the buffers. "This is Spitt." She held up a tin with the word "Spitt" in big letters on the lid. "The best thing there is to put a real shine on these rails."

The tin of polish.

"Why do they have to shine?" asked Lemmy.

The lady snorted, a most unladylike noise. "We would not want anyone to fall off the Gravy train because the ride got rough, now would we?"

"No," agreed Lemmy, "I suppose not." He looked around. There did not seem to be anyone else on the train but him and the Cuckoo.

"Come along, come along," scolded the Cuckoo. "We cannot stand around all day, the clock is still tocking."

"But the Gravy train does not go any further," pointed out Lemmy.

"Not to worry," said the Cuckoo. A cart and horse will be along in a moment. "

"Surely you mean a horse and cart?" said Lemmy.

"No," replied the Cuckoo. "Here we put the cart before the horse."

True to his word, a cart pulled up alongside them. Lemmy thought he knew all about horses and carts. The Rag and Bone man who sometimes came down the street where Lemmy lived had one. The horse was in front of the cart and pulled it.

Here, the horse was behind the cart and it was pushing it.

"On you get," ordered the Cuckoo.

Lemmy climbed up and sat down. He was not sure if he should look forward to where they were going or back to watch the horse, so he sat sideways so that he could do both.

"Time and tide wait for no man," said the Cuckoo. "Giddee up."

The horse began pushing the cart along. As Lemmy watched, he realised that the horse was changing colour. First it was black, then, it turned brown. Next it went grey and then white. Finally it went spotted dark brown and white before going back to black again.

"That is very odd," he said to the Cuckoo. "The horse keeps changing colour."

"Well, it is a horse of a different colour," pointed out the Cuckoo, "So what do you expect?"

Lemmy shook his head and looked forward. Soon they came to a small set of houses. The palomino coloured horse stopped.

"Why have we stopped this time?" asked Lemmy.

"We have reached a one-horse town, so our horse cannot enter, or it would be a two-horse town, which would be something very different," said the Cuckoo by way of explanation.

Lemmy was confused, but said nothing.

"Not to worry," said the Cuckoo, as it helped Lemmy out of the cart. "Something else will come along pretty soon,"

Sure enough, after standing by the road for a minute, Lemmy saw another vehicle approaching. Or, rather, he heard it. It was a covered wagon, and obviously there were a lot of musicians inside, and he could hear loud music.

The wagon was the kind that Lemmy had seen in cowboy films on television. He seemed to remember that they were often pulled by cows rather than horses. However, this wagon appeared to be rolling along without anything pulling it.

It stopped next to them. Lemmy was astounded to see that the wagon was actually being pushed by a crowd of men.

The Bandwagon.
« Last post by Palustris on October 07, 2022, 10:14:00 AM »
Chapter Two.

Head in the clouds.

He opened the front door and peered out. The street that should have been there was definitely missing, as was the pavement. The concrete path that went along the front of the house was still there. Beyond that, though, it was just grey under a bright blue sky with a few wispy clouds.

Carefully, he closed the front door and went to the back door. The concrete path was there, but the garden had been replaced by the same sort of grey covering. There were no houses in view either, just the same bright blue sky.

Lemmy scratched his head, forgetting about the bump. "Ouch," he said as he accidentally touched it.

Grey land under a blue sky.

Gingerly, he stepped out onto the concrete path. He followed it all the way around the house. "This is very odd," he thought. No other houses, no garden, and no sound either.

When he reached the back door again, he stood and looked at the grey area in front of him. Slowly, he pressed one foot on to it. It felt solid enough.

"It is quite safe, you know," said a voice from somewhere at his waist height.

That made him jump. He looked down. Standing by his side was a large bird, a very large bird. Lemmy stepped back inside the house.

There was a very large bird.

"There is nothing to be afraid of," said the bird. "Welcome to my land."

"Wh.who are you?" stammered Lemmy. He found it rather worrying to be talking to a large bird.

"Me?" replied the bird. "I am the one and only Cloud Cuckoo and this is my land. This is Cloud Cuckoo Land. You are most welcome. "

"Er,er, thank-you," said Lemmy, a bit at a loss as to what he ought to say.

"Pleasure," said the bird.  "Now we have a great need for you. There is a major problem in the middle of the land and only you can fix it."

"Me?"  squeaked Lemmy. "I don't know anything about fixing problems. My mum says I am only good for causing them."

"Be that as it may," said the bird. There is a problem, and no-one who lives in Cloud Cuckoo Land can fix it. It has to be someone from down below, and you are the only one from there who is in my land at the moment."

"Down below?" asked a very puzzled Lemmy.

The bird pointed to the grey stuff with its wing. "Down below," it said. "Now are you going to help or what?"

Lemmy shrugged his shoulders. "If I can help, I will, but don't blame me if I make things worse. What exactly is the problem?"

"In the middle of Cloud Cuckoo Land is a Great Grandfather clock. Something has gone terribly wrong with it and it is going backwards. If you listen carefully, you can hear it."

Lemmy put his hands behind his ears and strained to hear. From the far, far distance came the sound of a clock ticking. Or tocking, as the case may be. It really was going backwards. Instead of saying 'tick tock', the Great Grandfather clock was saying 'tock tick'.

"I don't know anything about clocks," he protested.

"You could at least come with me and look at it," said the bird. "We are terribly worried that when it reaches 0 o'clock, Cloud Cuckoo Land will disappear."

"All right," said Lemmy. I will do my best. How do we get to the clock?"

"Follow me," the bird ordered. It walked off on to the grey stuff. Nervously, Lemmy followed. When he did not sink or fall through, he felt a lot more confident.

When they had gone a little way, they came across a line of carriages To Lemmy's amazement, they looked like a line of gravy boats, exactly like the ones his mother always put on the table with Sunday lunch.

There was a line of gravy boats.

"Climb in," said the bird as it got into one of the boats.

Lemmy followed, feeling relieved that it was not actually full of gravy. "What is this?" he asked.

"This is the Gravy train," replied the bird. You are very lucky. Lots of people would really like to get on the Gravy train."

With a jerk, the train began to move.

"But how does it go?" asked Lemmy. "I don't remember seeing an engine."

"It goes without saying," replied the bird.

« Last post by Palustris on October 06, 2022, 02:07:29 PM »
Tried to get the images in the correct place but failed.
That took some doing.
Creative Writing / Cloud cuckoo Land
« Last post by Palustris on October 06, 2022, 02:04:32 PM »
Cloud cuckoo Land

Chapter One.

A Bump on the head.

Lemmy carefully fingered the bump on his head. It felt huge, but when he looked in the mirror in the bathroom, it was barely visible. Still, it did hurt. His mother had gently rubbed some butter on it. Butter was her cure for any bumps like that. Lemmy was not sure if it actually worked, but he was not going to argue about it.

Lemmy's mother was not the kind of person that one argued with. Even his father tended to agree with her, just to keep the peace, was what he said.

So when she said that Lemmy had banged his head on the lamppost outside the front door because he was  walking with his head in the clouds, Lemmy had agreed.

He thought to himself that if he had had his head in the clouds, he would not have banged his head on the lamppost. Yesterday, when he walked into a deep puddle and soaked his shoes and socks, that was when he had his head in the clouds.

He was looking at the birds flying high in the sky and wondering what would happen if a bird was born with a fear of heights. He had also wondered what the top of the clouds looked like and if it was different from the bits he could see from the ground.

Today he was looking down when he walked into the lamppost. He had been wondering about shoes. His had been stuffed with newspaper and placed upside down on a radiator overnight to dry them out.

His father had pointed out that shoes had soles and uppers, eyelets and tongues. So Lemmy had been looking at his shoes and wondering if the tongues in the shoes liked licking people's feet.

When he came into contact with the lamppost, he sat down very suddenly on the pavement, and once the shock wore off, he wondered why the shoes had not seen the lamppost if they had eyelets.

He now sat on his bed, forbidden to go out until his mother was sure he had not knocked himself even sillier. The house was very, very quiet. His father had gone to watch his favourite team play football. When he was at home, the radio was always on.

Lemmy was in his bedroom.

Lemmy listened carefully. He could not hear his mother either. When she was in the house on her own with just Lemmy, she used to sing, so he always knew where she was.

"She must have gone shopping," thought Lemmy. "Probably to get more butter to rub on my head. I prefer it on a piece of toast, especially with some strawberry jam on top of it."

He laughed quietly to himself as he thought about the number of sayings that his mother came up with. Her favourite at the moment seemed to be that Lemmy was a "chip off the old block." He was not exactly sure what that meant, though.

If he was very quiet, he could hear the Grandfather clock in the Hall tick-tocking away. That was another thing he often wondered about. He knew there was such a thing as a Grandmother clock. His father had explained that a Grandmother clock was a smaller version of a Grandfather clock.

"So," thought Lemmy. "If there are Grandfather and Grandmother clocks, are there Mother and Father, Son and Daughter, and Grandson and Granddaughter clocks as well?"

The Grandfather clock.

The clock in the Hall was his father's pride and joy. No-one else was allowed to open the front of it. This was done every Sunday morning after breakfast. Inside the case was a handle. This was taken out and put into one of the holes in the clock face. Lemmy's father turned the handle, and one of the weights that hung down inside the case moved up.

When that one had reached the top, the handle was put in the next hole and turned until the middle weight was up to the top. Finally, the third weight was all the way up.

Then the handle was carefully put back and the clock case closed. "That will keep it going for another week," said his father.

Lemmy lay back against his pillow and listened. The clock went tick tock as it should. Then there was the familiar whirring noise as it began to chime the hour. He counted them. Bong! One. Bong! Two. Bong! Three. Bong! Four. Bong! Five. Bong! Six. Bong! Seven. Bong! Eight. Bong! Nine. Bong! Ten. Bong ! Eleven. Bong! Twelve. Bong! Thirteen.

Lemmy sat up suddenly, which made him a bit dizzy. "That can't be right," he thought. "It is not supposed to strike thirteen."

When his head stopped spinning. He went to the bedroom door and listened. There was not a sound in the house. He happened to look out of the window at the top of the stairs. To his utter astonishment, instead of the roofs of the house opposite, which is what he normally could see through that window, all he could see was blue sky.

Puzzled, he went back into his room and looked out of the window. His room was at the back of the house and overlooked his mother's pride and joy, the small rear garden.

It was not there. All he could see was blue sky and a sort of greyish white surface where the garden ought to be.

Quickly, he ran into his parents' room and looked out of the window. He should have been looking at the street and the houses opposite. Instead, there was just a blue sky and the same whitish grey surface.

He ran downstairs, shouting for his mother. She did not answer. He looked in the kitchen, empty. He looked in the front room, empty. He looked in the living room, empty. He even looked in the downstairs toilet. That was empty too.

He was alone in the house.

Creative Writing / Re: Story writing.
« Last post by ideasguy on October 06, 2022, 10:47:07 AM »
Yes of course, Eric.
Creative Writing / Story writing.
« Last post by Palustris on October 06, 2022, 10:30:20 AM »
Just finished a story. Brand new, different style to my usual rubbish. Want to read it?
Creative Writing / Re: The Dragon's Egg
« Last post by Palustris on August 29, 2022, 11:46:36 AM »
Been a bit naughty with the Lockdown. I just realised I have 7 more stories which are ready for printing. Excessive I think.
Creative Writing / Re: The Dragon's Egg
« Last post by ideasguy on August 24, 2022, 10:37:36 AM »
Good work Eric. How do you find the time???

I wish you every success in this new release
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]