Plants > Propagation

Propagating Clematis

(1/4) > >>

ideasguy:
I'm pretty lucky (avoiding the word successful  :)) with things I propagate - cuttings, divisions etc.

However, Ive failed on every attempt to propagate Clematis.

Any tips?

Palustris:
I have done it a few times, but agree it is not easy. You do best if you can provide bottom heat. I assume you know that they are internodal cuttings rather than the more normal nodal ones? Stop reading if I am encouraging an aged relative to increase her cholesterol intake by the consumption of bird embryos.
One cuts the stem of the clematis between two sets of leaves rather than below a joint. This leaves about an inch below the leaf and and inch above the leaf joint. I usually remove one of the leaves. This is inserted into favourite rooting material and kept misted and warm. On really thick stems you can even slice the stem vertically to make two cuttings from one piece, but I have never tried that so do not know if it works.
The other way is to layer a stem, scratch the surface which is going to lie on the ground, it helps it to begin rooting.

NightHawk:
Although I have never tried to take cuttings of clematis, I did see an epsidoe of gardeners world where this woman took her cuttings of clematis the way she did any other plant and put a plastic bag over the pot and left them on her kitchen window sill, she was pretty amazed when the garden presenter told her that most people have trouble taking htem  ;D Hers she said root no trouble

I had meant to layer them but time got away from me and I never did.

Kathy :-*

ideasguy:
Thanks for the tips Eric and Kathy.

That woman on the gardeners world program was probably doing what I did, make a nice clean slice just below the node, since that is the normal approach.
She got away with that, it seems.

RE (palustris)

--- Quote ---I assume you know that they are internodal cuttings rather than the more normal nodal ones?
--- End quote ---
I didn't know that  :-[ Its a long time since I read up on it (need some sort of excuse, albeit feeble  :D)
I'm excited to read your advice Eric. I don't think I've tried that, so theres hope yet!

I was prompted to ask as I'm trimming a Nelly Moser which had grown through a Pittosporum bush. Both were out of control!
I'm tying it in to its allocated space - on a nice wall.
It faces South, and Ive read that Nelly Moser fades quickly in sun. Mine does, on years when we've had sun!
I'd like to get a young plant from a cutting and try it on a North facing position. Its a fantastic plant as you know.
Perhaps it will be better luck this time. I'll keep you informed.

NightHawk:
Well I have taken some cuttings this morning from Clematis V. Betty Corning and Clematis Crystal Fountain.

According to the RHS propagation book, cuttings should be internodal, sprenched with fungicide and dipped in hormone rooting powder, (cut leaves in half if they are large leaves), placed in a pot and into a heated propagator, rooting takes about 8 weeks.

Sprench - Making up a batch of fungicide, dipping the whole cutting into it.

I have several other clematis I would love to get cuttings from, Victor Hugo, Niobe, Mrs Cholmondeley and Prinsess Alexendra

I will try to get those tomorrow morning, as the book says always take cuttings early on a morning.

Kathy :-*

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version