Computers > Security

Akamai NetSession Client

<< < (2/5) > >>

ideasguy:
Thank you Eric and Eric ;D

Eric - Palustris. I had read over that article prior to posting the topic.
Thanks for posting. There were as many questions as answers :-\

Heres another link:-
http://www.hanselman.com/blog/CSIMyComputerWhatIsNetsessionwinexeFromAkamaiAndHowDidItGetOnMySystem.aspx
As in the link Palustris  posted, scroll down and theres an abundance of For and Against comments and no surprise, there are very few FOR!

This bit is interesting 17/11/11 by :_

--- Quote ---think this is the renamed Red Swoosh client. I used to work for that company -- it's a P2P data delivery system that helps speed up downloads by pulling some bits from other people who've already downloaded the file from its origin. Akamai bought Red Swoosh a few years back, and I think this is the renamed client software.
--- End quote ---
He could be correct! You'll see Red Swoosh mentioned in that screenshot I posted to initiate this topic.

and this (if you've got a few hours to spare!):

--- Quote ---Here's another tool to view who netsession is talking to via IP.

If you go to Start -> Run -> type "resmon" (without quotations) you will bring up the Resource Monitor.

In the Resource Monitor, the first tab is called Overview.

The Overview page is divided in to two halves. The right side is a graphical viewer of running process, applications, net I/O, etc of your CPU, Disk, Network and Memory. The left side is a breakdown of what the processes are processing.

So the trick is to make sure all four fields are expanded fully via the "open/close" arrow on each header. The header you are concerned about is the Network header to view the I/O. In this field, you can select by 'Image' to view the processes in alphabetical order. Scroll down until you see netsession_win.exe. This will tell you exactly which IP netsession is communicating with. From there you can just use any free IP locator and input the address to see who owns it.
--- End quote ---
A very useful tool (resmon that is!!!!)

So far, I believe its safe, but using your bandwidth to help others doing downloads.
It can be installed by any one of quite a number of respectable software suppliers.
I suspect the software is more useful to them that to you or me :)
Its is safe to stop the service (Ive experienced no problems today).
Awaiting comments and advice from another IT colleague re uninstalling.

Footie begins on TV- end of torture for today.

PS: I'd like to hear from others who find this on their computers. I think it is quite common for anyone with Adobe products installed ;)
Don't panic if you have it. Lets see what else we can learn about this.
To be continued...

PS again!
I'd like to assure our members that our Bank Genie and Ideas Genie software does not carry this Akamai present :)

Eric Hardy:

--- Quote from: ideasguy on October 05, 2013, 10:07:36 PM ---I'd like to hear from others who find this on their computers. I think it is quite common for anyone with Adobe products installed ;)

--- End quote ---
For ages I have been getting a message on my laptop when I open up that there is an update for Adobe Reader and I have never bothered to follow it up. I wonder whether by ignoring it I have been keeping out the potential "enemy within"   :)

Eric H

ideasguy:

--- Quote ---when I open up that there is an update for Adobe Reader
--- End quote ---

As I mentioned above, I think the Akamai Netsession stuff is widely distributed.
I guess it could arrive through updates.

I close any windows like that as well Eric.
I have learned from bitter experience that such pop-ups are not always what they appear to be, no matter how genuine they appear.
Beware also - DONT click the Cancel buttons on those popups.
I did once on the computer I used in my day job. Immediately, there were a flood of pop-ups on my screen!
The nasty programmers can (and did in my case) put script/code behind the Cancel button, which runs and infects your computer.
It took me a week to get rid of the viruses on that computer.
Instead of clicking the Cancel button, use the Close button. If not visible, right click in the Task bar (bottom of screen) and click Close.

Palustris:
Our Adobe Reader has to be kept up to date as it is used by some of the Surveys the Boss does (which pay for the Internet).
I have a program called Search Everything which is very useful for finding things on the hard drive (usually pictures) I looked for Akamai and it does not seem to be on our machine.

Palustris:
I can never find how to type in Run and so on at the Start. But if one goes to Task Manager and then the Performance tab, there is an entry there for Resource Manager. However nothing appears in the box when I do  it, it remains blank.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version