Author Topic: Re-Writable cd's  (Read 4313 times)

Tom

Re-Writable cd's
« on: January 07, 2009, 06:26:03 PM »
Anyone know the difference between DVD+RW and DVD-RW re-writable cd's and is there any way to make my pc like them? I want to store photo's on them but my CD drive spits them out. Thanks. Tom.

NightHawk

Re: Re-Writable cd's
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 06:49:41 PM »
Tom, there's no real difference between the two media.  The CD/DVD manufacturers couldn't come to a decision about which standard should be used so we ended up with both technologies.

The way to get either the DVD+RW or the DVD-RW to work is to check that you have a CD/DVD Re-writer drive fitted in your PC.  If it is rejecting one or the other, then your drive is not compatible.

On my main desktop PC, my LiteON CD drive is only capable of using re-writeable CD's but not DVD's.  My laptop is capable of writing to DVD's and CD's, so I've got an alternative machine to use without having to replace my desktop drive.

Do a Google search on the make of your current drive and see what specifications it gives, to see if it is DVD re-writer enabled.
If not, then you will have to buy an appropriate drive my friend, and either fit it yourself or get someone else to help you.

Laurie.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 06:56:04 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 08:03:07 PM »
I'd recommend you use a Flash disc instead, Tom.
I find they work much better with my software, as quick as accessing data on the hard drive.

I dont trust rewritable discs. I have photos on re-writable CD's from 2002, which wont read in my new computer.
Ive managed to rescue some by cranking my old computer to life and copying.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 08:20:06 PM »
Our new Computer DVD drive will not write to any CD, but it will read them. It will write to either DVD+or - and Rewritables too. We use a Flash pen (drive) to transfer stuff from one computer to another and when we cannot stay on line long enough to download long prgrams (updates mainly) my daughter does it for us and sends a Flash pen through the post. Dead easy. Mind you can get a fair number of DVD's for the cost of a decent pen!

Tom

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 08:38:20 PM »
Thanks to everyone, my drive tells me on the front that it take dvd re-writers but the pc says no. If I can get my children off the computer I will try some of your suggestions. Ta much.