Author Topic: iMac  (Read 4433 times)

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
iMac
« on: June 09, 2013, 07:16:43 AM »
I have been so very quiet recently, sorry about that!

Two reasons: the garden of course, but I have treated myself to a (used) iMac with a 27 inch screen for my photography. Laurie and I have discussed this in the past but we both agreed the cost was a bit off-putting. In the end I decided to bite the bullet  ::) It is absolutely fabulous. A big bonus was it belonged to a graphics set up who were upgrading their computers and it already has the up to date version of Adobe Photoshop CS6, Microsoft Office for Mac and other useful applications on it. I think I must have well over £800s worth of "free"  ;D software on it. Armed with two thick tomes from the "the missing manual" series I have been getting to grips with the changeover from Windows and how to use Photoshop. I have used Adobe Photoshop Elements, of course, and CS6 has all that Elements has and very much more. It is not so intuitive though and I have to keep referring to the book to learn how to access certain things. At my advanced age it is good to keep the little grey cells active   :)

Don't worry George, there is absolutely no way I will lose my Bank Genie Pro 4. It just means I will have to do all my financial work on my laptop with Windows 7. Any thoughts of doing a Mac version?  ???

Now that I am getting my head above water I hope to join in the forum again from time to time.

Best wishes to all

Eric H

NightHawk

Re: iMac
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 08:34:09 AM »
It's great to have you back again Eric - you have definitely been missed  ;D

I am in absolute envy of you now since you acquired that Mac  :P

I am pleased to hear that it's everything you hoped it would be too.  You could still use Windows software on the Mac by installing on it some 'Windows Emulator' software.  Such a program called Parallels does the job and from the reviews I've read it seems to be well respected.

I think we probably mentioned this option in our last discussion about Macs, but I haven't read back through those posts to check yet.

Probably worth seeing if there's a Trial version of Parallels and seeing how it performs for you.  I think it would be much easier if you could have all your favourite programs on your Mac and not have to chop and change machines.  I know that would be my decision.

Then again, I don't have a Mac (yet  ::) - ho-hum).  Still a great deal you get there Eric and is probably what I should be looking out for.  In my dreams though  :-\

Looking forward to hearing your progress reports on how your Mac performs.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 10:42:43 AM »
Welcome back indeed Eric. I'm very pleased to learn that it was energetic things that were keeping you occupied ;D
I hope you and Anthea are well and enjoying your garden.

Yes, Parallels is the answer Eric. Well worth checking out :)

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 12:46:35 PM »
You could still use Windows software on the Mac by installing on it some 'Windows Emulator' software.  Such a program called Parallels does the job and from the reviews I've read it seems to be well respected.
Thank you for that advice, Laurie. I will certainly look at Parallels.

I hope you and Anthea are well and enjoying your garden.
We are "as well as can be expected" I think the expression is, thank you George, but we are still definitely enjoying life and the garden. It is looking nice at the moment thanks to  some effort on our part but mainly through paid help, I am afraid. It is getting a bit beyond us these days. Anthea still propagates like mad  :)

Eric H