Author Topic: Cloud technology  (Read 5688 times)

Offline bossgard

Cloud technology
« on: October 16, 2012, 04:39:08 PM »
George,

All of this discussion about Cloud seems to be coming together quite rapidly.

As you might remember, I am using software put out by Nuance, called PaperPort 14. For me its is a very useful program that allows me to scan newspaper and magazine clippings by my favorite garden writers into a format that aids me in posting them on this Forum, and also allows me to save that information in various folders I create, and be able to search for them, by subject matter, author, key words, etc.

The Kubota postings are done with the aid of PaperPort14 and M/S Excel.

In PaperPort’s latest version 14, was included a few surprises that appeared on my Task Bar. In checking with the updated Paperport14 User Guide the following information is given: (The text data following was scanned by using PaperPort14, it’s not perfect but can be edited into Microsoft’s Word. I’ve got a long way to go to master the software.) Is it possible for me to share these scannings by using the Cloud, to members/users, as you are suggesting with the Master DataBase?

Connecting to the Cloud
PaperPort 14 introduces support for Cloud computing - accessing and working with web-based storage sites for programs, documents and data.

PaperPort Anywhere
This is a program delivered with all variants of PaperPort to access Cloud storage provided by Nuance. Start it from the PaperPort group in the Windows Start menu. Its Wizard interface guides you to set up an account for the Nuance web site, define an inbox for PaperPort in the Cloud and PaperPort folders to be synchronized with that inbox. This means all files in the local folder are transferred to the Cloud and all files added to the local PaperPort folder. In this way the two folders remain in synch. A control top-right lets you pause and resume syncronization and to sign out from the Cloud or sign back in. Similar synchronization can be established between mobile devices and the Cloud, thus allowing PaperPort contents to be accessed and supplemented on the move.

Nuance Cloud Connector
This is a self-standing program delivered with all variants of PaperPort, whose installation is optional. When installed, it can be started from the Nuance Cloud Connector group in the Windows Start menu. It provides access to other popular storage sites in the Cloud, including Microsoft Live SkyDrive, GoogleDocs, Box.net, multiple FIT sites, and many more. Its interface lets you establish connections from your file system to and from chosen Cloud sites; it also manages passwords and log-in data.

Evernote Connector
This is a new connector inside PaperPort 14, appearing as an icon on the Send To bar. This allows files to be dragged onto the icon so their copies are transferred to the Evernote storage site. Send To options can be used to specify access data.

I have opened a free account with Nuance Cloud. Like you say, 'hyperdrive'.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 07:20:51 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Palustris

Re: Cloud technology
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 05:50:10 PM »
This very dim person did not understand one word of that"

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 12:05:28 AM »
Hi Toby

RE:
Nuance Cloud Connector...
It provides access to other popular storage sites in the Cloud, including Microsoft Live SkyDrive, GoogleDocs, Box.net, multiple FIT sites, and many more.
Those storage sites on the cloud are alternatives to Dropbox.

RE:
Is it possible for me to share these scannings by using the Cloud, to members/users, as you are suggesting with the Master DataBase?

Yes you can Toby.
However, they will need to download and install the "client" software for the same Cloud storage site as you - i.e. if you go for SkyDrive, then they will need to install SkyDrive as well.
You then have to invite each person to share your cloud folder. They will get a notification email. They then have the option to accept.
Once they accept, sharing can begin.

If Nuance offer Dropbox as an Option, please choose that and I can do some trials with you so you can see how it works (as I already have it installed).

Hi Eric
Its something new to me as well, even though its been around for a few years now.

To all members:
Anyone using Cloud storage other than Dropbox?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 12:12:07 AM by ideasguy »

Offline bossgard

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 12:21:02 AM »

George, moving the posting is certainly fine by me!

Eric, I know what you mean, I’m a ‘dim’ person too! That’s why I posted it. Oh, I forgot, and left this one off the list of the Paperport14 posting. What’s a GAAIHO COLLABORATION?

Recently I read where PC’s as we know them, are tomorrow’s IPads. On my PC, my operating system is still Windows XP, my Microsoft Office Suite is dated 2003. I’m perfectly happy using them. They do the job for me, but I do want to continue to be able to communicate with the world, so it’s IPads, IPods, Clouds, Apps, etc, etc, etc. The technology manufacturers are going to push, push and push for you (and me) to spend our money.

Do you want to keep up? What are you going to do when you can’t post your pictures anymore? Or communicate with your Aunt Mabel that lives half way around the world?

Yet, it all intrigues me. I still want to learn, I still want to use my brain. I recently lost a friend who was in a nursing home, who according to the doctors, only had half of his brain cells left active. That frightens me! I want to be able to still communicate, talk, and think in tomorrow’s world? I believe using a computer is one of the best ways to keep the brain going. In case you don’t know it, I am a Senior type of person, with a another birthday approaching in November.

I also what to support George and his gardening and banking software. Let’s see what George has in mind with his ideas of Cloud communication!

(To George; yes Dropbox is an option. I am supposed to receive several emails with instructions. I will work through those first! I hope I can understand them.)

NightHawk

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 08:32:29 AM »
To all members:
Anyone using Cloud storage other than Dropbox?
As I discussed in a new Board I recently created in Computers / Tablet PCs, I use a form of 'cloud' storage provided by Apple.

After purchasing my new Apple iPad they allow you 5GB of FREE storage on their servers for your documents, photos, video files, etc.

This allows you to access all of this media from any other device you have, wherever you are.  So, armed with your iPhone, iPad, Desktop PC/Laptop you can upload/download data to iCloud and then access it on whichever device you wish.

The technology sounds the same as Dropbox, but this is Apple's offering to make optimum use of their 'mobile' devices.

Laurie.

P.S.  One thing that concerns me after reading the Privacy Policy of Dropbox is how the personal information you provide them is/can be used, and the automatic logging of data from the devices you use on their service.

I personally haven't used this company so I can't speak with any degree of authority.  It's just something to be aware of when using ANY online storage facility, and read their Privacy Policies carefully.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 09:45:50 AM »
Thanks for that Laurie. I think of the "Cloud" as a fancy word for explaining a location where files can be stored on the internet.
Looking it up on Wiki I find this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cloud_%28Peak_District%29
The Cloud is a distinctive hill which lies on the border between Cheshire and Staffordshire just a couple of miles to the west of the Peak District National Park
That's the "low" cloud I guess ;D ;D ;D

The one we are talking about is described here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing

Security:
Indeed Laurie. Theres no such thing as a free lunch, and in my humble opinion that is PARTICULARLY true when someone offers something for free on the internet - starting with our wide varieties of Web Browsers like Internet Explorer, Firefox etc.
Its all in there on the small print. Same applies to Cloud.

When I spoke to Barry he mentioned that he had a relative who is an expert in security and will advise him. It will be interesting to hear his advice.

Offline bossgard

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 03:11:11 PM »

My apologies to EricH.
That previous posting of mine, should have been addressed to ErikP.

Offline bossgard

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 10:49:20 PM »

This was in this morning's Seattle Times Newspaper. Thought you might be interested:

Is a Microsoft Surface tablet priced at $499 good enough to entice you away from that Apple iPad you might be considering?
That's the question Microsoft faces now that it has announced the prices of Surface with Windows RT, the company's first branded tablets, launching Oct. 26.
The tablet will come in at three price points, Microsoft said Tuesday:
•$499 for a 32-gigabyte version of the tablet.
•$599 for a 32GB version that comes with a black Touch Cover.
•$699 for a 64GB version that comes with a black Touch Cover
The Touch Cover —a thin tablet cover that doubles as a keyboard and attaches to the Surface magnetically is one of Microsoft's key selling points for the tablet. The company is also selling the Touch Cover—which comes in black, white, magenta, cyan and red separately for $119.99. Microsoft also is selling separately the Type Cover - a slightly thicker Surface cover with moving keys that feel more like traditional keyboards. It will sell for $129.99 and come in black The Surface will be available for pre-order at www.surface.com, or for purchase starting Oct. 26 in Microsoft Stores, as well as the 34 holiday pop-up stores Microsoft is opening. It will also be available for sale online in the U.S., Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong and the U.K.

(There is more to the news story, if you wish it. Let me know. Move this posting if you so desire.)

Offline JohnB

• Main Signature
    • John & Kath B's Photo Album
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 05:58:54 AM »
I must admit when I came onto the forum this evening and found this posting about 'Cloud Technology' I was really surprised and thought I must have gone to the wrong website. Cloud technologies are service offerings that my company, CSC, compete in extensively and I deal with every day.

The term originally came about because when we were drawing diagrams of networks, and particularly the internet, we often used a cloud pictogram to represent the network that connected the various systems together. This helped us deal with the fact we really didn't want to show all the complexity of that network.

Over time, services started to be provided on the Internet, like storage, that were available to anyone connected and usually on some form of usage fee basis. These services offered an alternative to companies and individuals who had traditionally had to use local to their environment services. Over time, these network based services were referred to as being 'In the Cloud' and ultimately simply as Cloud services or cloud technologies.

Some of these cloud services you deal with overtly, other times, they're sort of hidden behind the scenes. An example of the latter is used by Amazon and Barnes & Noble when you buy books for your Kindle(s) or Nook(s). In your account on their servers and systems that are connected to the network, they keep copies of all the books and magazines you have purchased. You tend to think of those books being local to your eReader  (which they are) -- but they are syncronized with those copies 'in the cloud'. Thus when I buy a book on my black and white Nook, read a bit of it and then put it down; a little later in the evening I open my Color Nook and there's the same book, already downloaded and when I click it, I'm taken to the page I left on the black-and-white Nook -- all seamlessly and without having to do anything. That's a perfect example of Cloud type technologies working to make our lives easier.

On a more overt type of Cloud technology, I use Microsoft's Windows Live Mesh (I think it used to be called Skydrive). I use it to synchronize folders on my home desktop workstation with those on my laptop. Because I use less than 5GB of storage for this, it doesn't cost me anything. Companies like Microsoft, Google, Apple and the like can offer services like this because many of their customers who start using their services free, often end up consuming more than the free allocation and start paying a monthly subscription.  With storage services, it's not too difficult to do this commercially as storage costs have dramatically shrunk over the years. I think the 1TB disk I bought last year was around $100 and that's 1000GB -- really amazing...

I'd be happy to help further if that'd be useful.

regards
John

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 10:05:44 AM »
Hi John

Thank you for your very informative posting. Feel free to post a link to your CSC business. I did a quick surf but I'm not sure if I found the correct site.

Your experience (and all other members of course) will be very much appreciated when I get to a project I am looking forward to, introduced in this topic:
http://www.flowergenie.co.uk/ideas/forum/index.php/topic,1850.0.html
After the development, some testing will be required ;)

Meanwhile, lets keep this topic dedicated to the discussion on Cloud Technology so we can learn more.

Offline JohnB

• Main Signature
    • John & Kath B's Photo Album
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 05:59:08 PM »
My company's website is www.csc.com but we are a commercial information services provider and don't operate in the end-user mass market, so not much reason to check into our Cloud offerings...

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 11:39:32 PM »
Thats impressive John!

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 09:49:04 AM »

My apologies to EricH.
That previous posting of mine, should have been addressed to ErikP.

No need to apologise, Toby, I was just as mystified by the post as EricP ::) ???