Author Topic: Installing a program W 7  (Read 4431 times)

Offline Palustris

Installing a program W 7
« on: January 24, 2010, 09:55:51 AM »
We have a very old program. All right I confess it is a set of Card Patiences which we play more often then anything else. It was written for Windows XP. It would not install on Vista and it will not install on W. 7 either. BUTwhat I did discover is that it wil RUN from the Disc  So I copied the disc into a folder on the computer and it ran from that. Great. Except that it was a bind finidng the folder and finding the Set up exe. So I tried putting the Icon onto the Taskbar. Nothing, BUT when I created my own icon which pointed to the Setup.exe in the Folder, voila, the program installs and runs perfickly.
So who's a clever boy then?

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Installing a program W 7
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 10:35:29 AM »
You are :D

Nice to have that posting here to refer to Eric!
I'm sure it will be useful to others.

NightHawk

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 11:34:38 AM »
Well done Eric.

I'm pleased you didn't let it defeat you, and it just goes to show what some 'calm' perseverence can accomplish.  :D

Windows 7 is working great for Kathy and I too.

I've only found one program (so far) which I use most regularly and couldn't be without, which just would not install.  This is the software I use for our labels design business.
I was able to get an upgrade with Win 7 compatibility from the original company, so everything is running smoothly again.

We're just starting to find our way around all the different folder structures.  Although some people may find the extra security a bit of a bind, such as making sure programs are running with Administrator privileges for example, I don't find this to be a hindrance at all.  Far better to live with the extra security features than have to re-install your Operating System when a nasty virus gets through undetected.

Eric, have you achieved a better Internet connection since you changed to Windows 7?  And do you like its performance overall so far?

Laurie.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 12:03:51 PM »
After tipping my hat to Hubris the Greek goddess of false pride I can report that our connection is working as well as Dialup ever does. I must say that I liked Vista when it worked and 7 is what Vista should have been. There are a lot of features I am still findng out about though.
Only program which I cannot get to work is a Plug in for Photoshop 7 and since I never used it anyway (the plug in) it is not that important.