Author Topic: Dalcross Castle, Croy, Inverness, Scotland  (Read 5746 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Dalcross Castle, Croy, Inverness, Scotland
« on: March 25, 2008, 12:37:49 AM »
Tom Lowrie, the Head Gardener at Dalcross Castle, sent me a set of photos over Easter.
I made up this (rather quick) web site using the Web page Generator in Ideas Genie Pro to let you share the treat!
http://www.ideasforgardens.net/DalcrossCastle/GardenPhotos/

I have invited Tom to send more information on the plants in the photos. As you can see, theres some interesting and unusual specimens in the frame!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Dalcross Castle, Croy, Inverness, Scotland
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 10:27:53 AM »
I spoke to Tom last night on the phone, and he has a problem viewing the WPG web sites on
http://www.ideasforgardens.net
The pane where the Info about the plant, the plant photos and the garden photos is blank.
Instaad, the photo appears to be showing in the top pane. He can scoll, but only sees a tiny depth of photo at any one time.

Has anyone else experienced any difficulty?

I will investigate today, to see if I can find a reason for this "behavior". If anyone has suggestions, they will be very much appreciated.

If Tom is reading this, please reply to this message and let us know what Browser you are using, and what version it is (when browsing, click Help on the Menu, and click About).

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 01:18:03 AM »
Tom sent me another batch of photos,so Ive updated the web site. Go along and view some really nice plants!
http://www.ideasforgardens.net/DalcrossCastle/GardenPhotos/

All is well with Tom and his problem viewing the web site (mercifully)

NightHawk

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 06:03:37 PM »
We would just like to say a big thank you to Tom for taking the time to take the photos for us all to enjoy.  There are indeed some unusual and interesting specimens here.

It must be a joy to 'work' in an environment such as this, but we think it's probably more a labour of love than just a 'job'.

We've never visited these particular gardens, but if we get a chance to visit Scotland at some time in the future we would certainly drop in, and maybe say a big 'hello' to Tom.  :)

Keep the photos coming, we would like to see more of these beautiful gardens.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 09:16:16 PM »
Tom has hundreds of photos, folk, and of course we are now into another growng season (all that rain should help!)
One thing to point out though. Tom has informed me that the Castle gardens are not open to the public. Its restricted to guests at the Castle, unfortunately.
But, maybe some fine day the Community will be ready for a rendezvous - and  book the castle for a weekend  :)
No harm in dreaming  ;D

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 11:17:44 AM »
Aha, the Cardiocrinum giganteum!
I bought one (already some years old) last year and planted it out in the shade of my hazels. In the beginning all went well, it grew quickly and had a bunch of the loveliest shiny leaves. In summer however the leaves yellowed and fell off. I was afraid the bulb would rot.
As it is such a beautiful and expensive plant I didn't want to lose it, so I replanted the bulb in a big pot and gave it a place in the cold frame. I may say it is doing well again (for the moment at least).
If my memory is still good Gertrude Jekyll wrote somewhere about preparing the soil for this kind of plants so deep that cart and horse could disappear in the pit. I thought she must have been exaggerating or at least joking. But then I took a look at a picture of hers and saw a woman probably not used to making jokes. Could it be then there was some kind of exactness in her description?
I wanted a second opinion. This is what Vita Sackville-West wrote about soil preparation for Cardiocrinum giganteum in her book "Some Flowers': "(...) any coppice say of hazel or chesnut will serve the purpose, which is to provide shade and coolness, for the Giant Lily (=CC) will stand a good deal of both. Then you must dig out a hole two or three feet deep, and fill it with the richest material you can provide in the form of leaf-mould, peat, and rotted manure. This simple recommendation reminds me of the exclamation of a friend: 'It seems to me,' she said, 'that this lily of yours has all the virtues and only (??) four disadvantages: it is very expensive to buy; the bulk (sic) takes three years before it flowers; after flowering once it dies; and you have to bury a dead horse at the bottom of a pit before it will flower at all."
A horse again!!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 08:22:54 PM »
RE:
But then I took a look at a picture of hers and saw a woman probably not used to making jokes
I have to say, I burst out laughing whern I read that. Hilarious, Andre!  8)
Your command of the English language is amazing!

Looks like you should hire a JCB (digger) to plant one of those bulbs!
If it needs such underground preparation, I think it might be better in the ground than in that pot??
Mnd you, we coild spare the life of a horse if you keep it in the pot  ;D

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 08:56:22 PM »
The Belgian army has been called in to plant the Lily "comme il faut".

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 10:55:35 PM »
They'll need backup. We'll send you over a few mercenaries from Dad's army to give them a hand :)