Author Topic: Shapes and colours  (Read 3630 times)

Offline whis4ey

Shapes and colours
« on: June 14, 2007, 12:50:44 PM »
The different leaf shapes sit well with the contrasting colours of (pink) Shin de Shojo (lime green) Seiryu and (purple/black) Bloodgood
It is not only in autumn that you get beautiful colours from these marvellous trees

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
Re: Shapes and colours
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 10:45:59 PM »
What are the requirements if you want to grow these acers in full soil? The lime green coloured one for example: aren't its leaves burned by the sun? I've some acers palmatum in pots and keep them somewhat sheltered in halfshadow, but it's my intention to plant them out later.

Offline whis4ey

Re: Shapes and colours
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 01:43:17 PM »
We seldom get enough sun here to be a great concern
Having said that, these past few summers have been warmer, and we have just recently had a week or so with temperatures in the high 70's/80's F (about 25/27 C)?
The leaves do scorch a little if the sun is blistering hot.  My own trees have some shade here and there ...  the Seiryu however would be in full sun (such as we get) almost all day ...
Try to plant trees which are more susceptible to direct sunlight (if your sun is inclined to be strong) in a dappled shade position or at least where they will not get the worst of the sunlight during the day