Book Corner > Old Florists' Flowers

Collecting Antique Plants. The History and Culture of the Old Florists' Flowers

<< < (3/3)

NightHawk:
The presenter of the program was Peter Thoday. I just did a google search and although I can't find much about him except references to The Victorian Garden series he did, there is no mention that he has died.

Harry Dodson however, the gardener, died in July 05 aged 85.

Harry was a member of the RHS and the obituary said he died at Chilton Foliat

Here's the link for the obituary if you want to go and read it:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/harry-dodson-507520.html

Kathy :-*

greenfinger:
Harry Dodson was indeed the gardener I meant.

Trevor Ellis:

--- Quote from: greenfinger on April 16, 2008, 03:21:41 PM ---Harry Dodson was indeed the gardener I meant.

--- End quote ---

What a wonderful character Harry Dodson was and a huge fount of knowledge for both flower and vegetable growing. An interesting little book I have is called 'The Victorian Kitchen Garden Companion' by Harry Dodson & Jennifer Davies. It's a month by month account with lots of anecdotes from Victorian publications, observations by Harry, lots of Victorian illustrations and photographs of some of the old gardeners etc, etc. It's a little gem especially for those who appreciate/d Harry Dodson. First published in 1988 by BBC Books, ISBN 0 56320710 8. I found my copy on ebay if my memory is correct. I think that it was published to accompany 'Harry Dodson's Practical Kitchen Garden' (ISBN 0 563 36357 6) and of course the videos on both the 'Victorian Flower Garden' and 'Victorian Kitchen Garden'.
Every time I open these books, I can hear Harry's voice. Wonderful.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version