Author Topic: James and the "dwarf" conifer  (Read 2255 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
James and the "dwarf" conifer
« on: March 08, 2008, 10:00:27 PM »
I bought a packet of seed (or was in 2 packets) quite a few years ago, dwarf conifers.
I managed 3  plants from it. Two were green, one gold.
They were all quite a beautiful form, fine and elegant.
However, this one finally outgrew its dwarf label, and I decided after much irrational debate with myself that I wanted to restore the edge of the back garden to the original plan- to give a beuautiful sight when the curtains were opened in the mornings. This plant (and a few others) was blocking everything from my bedroom window.
Two plants down, James came out to help, so I decided to take a photo just before felling the conifer.
That wee guy is getting really photogenic! He posed as soon as I said I wanted to take a photo!
He stood like a little model for the photo (and a few more).

http://www.flowergenie.co.uk/images/Forum/rimg0002.jpg

NightHawk

Re: James and the "dwarf" conifer
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 11:02:23 PM »
Now George, we're supposed to be looking after our plants - nurturing, molly-coddling, talking to them, but not cutting them down  :o  However, we can see the logic behind your decision so we'll forgive you.  ;)

As we said before, little James is loving the 'limelight' and is definitely hankering for a career as a model.

We hope you don't regret your 'pruning' session and have a better view now.  :)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 12:04:03 AM »
Well, to be honest, perhaps I am! It looks good in that photo.

When I cut it down, it had a huge stump, and I found that dinner plate Papaver orientalis nestled in close proximity.It will have a better look at the sky this year! Also, in close proximity, I noticed what I think is a little clump of pale blue Campanula lactiflora, self seeded from a neighbouring plant. Now, I like that flower, which looks great with that Acer negundo 'Flamingo'  in the picture! Also, an Anaphalis triplinervis will have a longer look at the sun each day. (Theres a plant I'd recommend for your front garden!!)

The big BIG one behind is next on the "cut" list. Its much too big for that area. That are was once a Rose bed, then I decided to make it a Conifer bed, to act as a wind break. However, it cut off the back garden too much, so Ive decided to open it up a bit.

NightHawk

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 06:12:55 AM »
Although conifers give good cover in certain circumstances, they can get a bit out-of-hand if left to their own devices.

We have a VERY tall conifer in our back garden, but it's not causing any problems at the moment so we'll leave it alone for now.

Yesterday morning we finally cleared the front garden of all that horrible turf and gave it a good dig over with a mix of manure compost.

We've made a note of Anaphalis triplinervis   to have a look at it more closely.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 09:58:26 AM »
Was that the Royal "we"?  Of course not  :)
Glad the weather was favourable to let Laurie play in the garden LOL.
You'll be real proud of that rejuvenated patch. Looking forward to seeing it develop !!

I'm sure you are looking at playing with foliage effects. That one (Anaphalis) is a good choice for your "silver" range.
Flowers aren't terribly significant, but the plant is just real neat and makes a nice low spread for front of border.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 10:06:46 AM by ideasguy »

NightHawk

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 10:30:57 AM »
Don't I wish it was the Royal "we" - then we'd have a really super, palatial garden to get our teeth into  :)

It's generally "we" in the postings because Laurie doesn't like being left out - bless him.

I think Laurie was pushed a bit too hard in the garden yesterday.  We had 4 flagstones just in front of a very small border beneath the front window, and I wanted them moving so that they were under the window instead.

With my help we had to move them a few times to get them level, then the digging over of the garden after the turf removal (which was full of builders rubble in places) took its toll on him later on.  He'd strained his chest muscles and was on Ibuprofen for the rest of the day, which did the trick.  This morning he has recovered again.  Dare I suggest to him the next job I have lined up  ;)

Anyway, now the 'hard' work has been completed we can now be getting on with the final layout and some planting.

We'll get some more photos taken for the web site once we're well under way with the planting scheme.  ;D

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 04:33:49 PM »
Ouch!
Moving Flag stones really is hard work, I can vouch for that. Care needed during those operations - it doesnt bear thinking about if one slips.
Its good you got the flags sited though. Now you can get on with things. I'm sure its beginning to take shape already.