Author Topic: Wood turning  (Read 3535 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Wood turning
« on: November 28, 2012, 09:01:05 AM »
Ive just re-established contact with a business friend from my early days in software development.
Peter Lyons was a senior manager at Morphy Richards in Bangor Co Down, N Ireland.
I wrote the software used for Time & Attendance and also bespoke software for managing their Finished Goods Recording (all using data collection terminals) - pallets of domestic appliances (Kettles).
In those days when I did a program update, I had to drive a 60 miles round trip to Bangor to install it on their computers - from a diskette :o
Sadly, that factory is now closed - a sign of the very bad times for the manufacturing industry.

Peter has emailed to say that he owns a business in Castle Ward, Co Down here in N Ireland (a lovely part of the country, incidentally!).
Here's his website:
http://www.plwoodcraft.com
I have to say, I am impressed :D
I can see great potential there. I wish you every success Peter!

NightHawk

Re: Wood turning
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 12:45:15 PM »
What a fascinating business to become involved in George.

His website is very interesting.  I'm very pleased to note that with his involvement with the Irish Woodturners Guild, and volunteer warden with the Woodland Trust, he is demonstrating his responsible use of wood for his craft.  Presumably sourcing materials from sustainable locations, which is definitely the best way to go.

I had to smile when he described his Woodland Trust Warden duties in Kilcooley Wood, Bangor as 'hard work' just walking around watching the trees grow (a man after my own heart) ;D

The pieces he has managed to craft from wood are very impressive and I hope he does well from this venture.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 03:44:24 PM »
I thought you'd like that Laurie ;)

Offline KeithD

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 04:29:12 PM »
Being new here and George insisting I join in, I've attached a couple of photos of a chainsaw event held in New England last year when we visited Vermont in the fall. Five men had an hour to reduce the logs to recognisable objects. The first one is a bird feeder, the second a bear. Mind blowing speed and artistry. They then auctioned them off to the highest bidder, $300 was the most expensive. about £190 and a van/truck to take them away. But then the Americans have a truck as standard as a second/winter vehicle. They don't get stuck when it snows for four months of the year.

NightHawk

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 05:33:36 PM »
Thanks for posting those photos Keith.

It's amazing what those guys can do with a chainsaw.  And to do it under the pressure of a time limit.

Kudos to them  :)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 07:36:26 PM »
Thanks for taking up my invitation Keith! I didn't expect a Bank Genie guy to post photos :D
One hour to produce a work of art - that's some going. You mentioned in your last email that you have roots in woodworking - have you ever tried this yourself? I'd be a bit wary of the chainsaw :o