Author Topic: Remembrance Day  (Read 3364 times)

NightHawk

Remembrance Day
« on: November 10, 2012, 05:21:04 PM »
I have designed the following graphic for Remembrance Day, to remember all those who have died for their country in the First World War and all wars since:

For all of our fallen heroes - we will remember.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 05:22:59 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Remembrance Day
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 05:32:35 PM »
Thank you for posting this Laurie. We owe those brave young men so much.
The horrors they endured doesn't bear thinking about.
We will remember them now, tomorrow and forever!

Offline Helen Chapman

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 06:34:57 PM »
A really lovely remembrance post, thank you.

Offline The Doc

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 06:52:07 PM »
Thanks as well: two of my fathyers brothers died in WWI; one on the Somme and one at Gallipoli

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 10:48:28 PM »
Thank you Laurie. Appropriately Memorial Sunday falls on the 11th this year.

It is hard to understand the minds of people who are stealing bronze plaques from our war memorials to  sell them as scrap. I hope the Government succeeds in bringing in laws to prevent the scrap dealers paying them.

Eric

Offline peter1925

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 12:30:25 AM »
A beautiful and very suitable design, thank you!

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 03:32:23 AM »
Nice visual to help us remember what so many have done for the continuing struggle for peace.  It made me think of the poppy and I couldn't remember its connection so found a few Internet postings and thought I'd share a bit from one:

"In the World War I battlefields of Belgium, poppies grew wild amid the ravaged landscape. How could such a pretty little flower grow wild while surrounded by death and destruction? The overturned soils of battle enabled the poppy seeds to be covered, thus allowing them to grow and to forever serve as a reminder of the bloodshed during that and future wars.

The poppy movement was inspired by the poem "In Flanders Fields" written by Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae of the Canadian forces in 1915 before the United States entered World War I. Selling replicas of the original Flanders' poppy originated in some of the allied countries immediately after the Armistice."

Thank you,
Scott

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 11:11:04 AM »
Thank you Laurie vary nice indeed, my mum has an uncle who flew in the battle of britain, and he is still alive today, so you can imagine his age when he served, she once did a family check on previous members of the family etc and she found out about one who served in in WW1 there would have been more family members for both wars

Phil

Offline bossgard

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 02:58:40 PM »

My most vivid personal memory of World War II:

Since I was only about 12 years old, I was a little too young to have served in World War II.

But even being that young, we children were called upon to take places of those that volunteered or had been drafted. My neighbor across the street at that time was manager of the local J.C. Penney store. He hired me to work in the stock room, pricing merchandise, sweeping floors, etc.

One day the door bell rang at the delivery door, it was a gentleman who worked at the telegraph office. The manager of the store had received a telegram, and I had signed for it. I delivered the telegram to my boss.

It didn’t take very long for us employees to learn that his son, serving in the military, had received severe shrapnel wounds to his head. The manager quickly left the store, and with his wife flew to where their son had been hospitalized. He had immediately resigned from J.C. Penney to take care of their son. It was a very tearful moment for all of us.

My two older brothers; one had served in the U.S. Coast Guard, and one in the U.S. Navy CB’s (construction battalion), They are still alive today, the oldest is 90, the other brother is several years older than myself. I am thankful for their return safely from the ravages of war.

Thanks Laurie.

- Toby

NightHawk

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 05:41:40 PM »
Thank you all for responding to this topic and sharing your experiences and memories with us.

This was my way, on behalf of our Forum members, of showing our deepest respect for the brave heroes who have paid the ultimate sacrifice, and honoring them for doing so.

It is obviously harder to bear for the relatives and friends of the fallen men and women.  The saddest regret is that we will continue to lose more soldiers as long as world conflicts prevail.

Their losses will never be forgotten and the best we can do is pay tribute to their bravery for what they believe in to make the world a safer place for all of us.

Offline Bruce

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 06:10:51 PM »
Good to see a response to Poppy Day. In church this morning we had a trumpet play the "Last Post", and then held the two minute silence, followed by "Reveille". It was very moving, and I was able to thank God that my two uncles, serving in the armed services, both  came home safely.