Author Topic: On a short break  (Read 3350 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
On a short break
« on: August 30, 2012, 11:24:14 AM »
Over in Manchester for a few days - arrived safely yesterday.
Just leaving to do some shopping  ::)-more later

NightHawk

Re: On a short break
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 02:34:13 PM »
Have a great time George - you deserve the break  ;)

Watch out for those shopping sprees though  :o - don't get too carried away.

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 10:03:29 AM »
Have a great time George and help the economy by having a good time shopping :)

Eric H

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 11:34:09 AM »
I do my bit for the ice cream, toffee and chocolates industries Eric  :D :D
And garden plants and equipment as well of course.
We went to York yesterday and spent an hour or so in the Minster.
We took the train (final destination Middlesborough, so we were in your old home country Laurie!)
I didn't have my own camera, so we just spent time looking in awe. What an amazing place. No doubt you've been there - fine architecture and amazing craftsmanship. If you have photos, I'd love to see some if you have time to post links.
My daughter took a few pics with her camera as we walked around the cobbled streets. I loved that place.

Lots of open air markets and I wish I could have bought some of the plants on offer - 3 for a fiver, and I spotted a lovely Leucanthemum, a good selection of Penstemons, Delphiniums etc.

We have been very lucky so far - the weather has been beautiful and it made all the difference when at York.

Went to the Liverpool match on Thursday evening and Tara (our DD) managed to get me a ticket for the Man City game today. 

« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 11:37:07 AM by ideasguy »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 09:34:06 PM »
Home again safely. Weather was beautiful every day on our short holiday, and the good news is a high is forecast for a few days now we are back home :)
My neighbour took good care of our containers and the things in the greenhouse (Tomatoes are doing very well this year again).
Back to work...

NightHawk

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 11:04:51 PM »
We went to York yesterday and spent an hour or so in the Minster.
We took the train (final destination Middlesborough, so we were in your old home country Laurie!)
I didn't have my own camera, so we just spent time looking in awe. What an amazing place. No doubt you've been there - fine architecture and amazing craftsmanship. If you have photos, I'd love to see some if you have time to post links.
It's been so many years since I visited York George (too many in fact), and don't recall what camera I had at the time - film type of some sort though, so I don't have any personal photos to share with you - long gone I'm sorry to say.

I did what most tourists do when visiting such places of interest though - bought postcards  ::)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 12:14:10 AM »
I found out (after posting my message) that Tara had taken some photos inside the Minster.

Yes, I did the tourist thing as well Laurie - relaxed a bit and and enjoyed the rays around the streets!

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 07:56:16 AM »
Glad you had a good time, George. Yes, York Minster is a beautiful place but, like Laurie, my visits (several) were all well before the age of digital cameras so I have no record to show you.
My neighbour took good care of our containers and the things in the greenhouse (Tomatoes are doing very well this year again).
Our tomatoes in the greenhouse are doing fine too, and ripening well. Our outdoor tomatoes were a disaster and got the dreaded blight. I pulled them all up and consigned them to the wheelie bin (having no convenient place to burn them at the time). But it has been that sort of year, hasn't it? For the first time ever, and we grow them every year, our runner beans were a complete failure. It seemed a waste having erected the framework for them so we replaced them with climbing french beans which are looking very promising, despite having been planted late.

Eric