Author Topic: Summer?  (Read 2451 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Summer?
« on: June 22, 2012, 11:02:24 PM »
Wednesday was sunny and warm - sunhat and all that kind of thing while working in the garden.
What a change on Thursday - rain but mercifully not too cold - worked in the greenhouse and the rain ceased/eased  in the afternoon to allow me to work on my containers - in wellies and waterproof clothing (better than sitting in the house!).
Heavy rain overnight on Thursday and I was taken aback to find the garden flooded on Friday morning. A large hole I'd dug was filled and resembled a well.

By late afternoon, the rain was coming down and the trees were straining under high winds.
I worked in the garage in my containers - wellies etc, etc so I could rescue plants from the outdoor staging.

I shouldn't be complaining. On the news the weather is much worse in other parts of the UK.
The Isle of Wight festival:
http://www.metro.co.uk/music/902907-isle-of-wight-festival-2012-blighted-by-flooding-as-red-cross-called-to-scene
The young folk appear to be unfazed by the elements and focused on a good time and good music.
Way to go 8)
Mind you, Mud, glorious mud comes to mind ::)

I'm going to a Garden Open tomorrow (or Sunday).
I rang and spoke to the owner at lunchtime today to see if it was still on!
She is a member of the Rose Society of Northern Ireland and Ive taken photos of her garden a few times by now. I'd describe her as a master plantswoman. Her garden is crammed with exquisite and perfectly grown plants - lovely balance and layout with inspiring plant combinations,  one of my favourite gardens.
Its going ahead, even though she tells me she cant do any preparation in these conditions.

On this site we learn that the longest day in the year was Thursday.
http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/longest-day/
Does that mean this is now mid summer? I'm looking out in disbelief :'(

NightHawk

Re: Summer?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 11:05:39 PM »
Ah... summer indeed.  As I write the heavens have opened once again  ::) - the wind is howling in the trees  ::) ::)

The south of England is getting its fair share of bad weather, but other areas of the country are getting severe flooding.

Just got a bit of gardening done this afternoon as I'd already seen the weather forecast, predicting heavy rain later.  Sure enough, it has arrived - again!

Here's a little poem to brighten us up:

Summer Sun

Great is the sun, and wide he goes
Through empty heaven with repose;
And in the blue and glowing days
More thick than rain he showers his rays.

Though closer still the blinds we pull
To keep the shady parlour cool,
Yet he will find a chink or two
To slip his golden fingers through.

The dusty attic spider-clad
He, through the keyhole, maketh glad;
And through the broken edge of tiles
Into the laddered hay-loft smiles.

Meantime his golden face around
He bares to all the garden ground,
And sheds a warm and glittering look
Among the ivy's inmost nook.