Author Topic: Beautiful weather!  (Read 2916 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Beautiful weather!
« on: May 24, 2012, 02:07:03 PM »
At last, we are basking in sunshine and everything is beautiful!

Hardly a breeze here today and the skies are blue. Just had lunch on the patio and taking a rest from the garden. Up to this week, the soil has been wet and heavy and I hate working in those conditions. The good thing is I'm at home all day and able to keep an eye on the young plants in the greenhouse (its crammed :D). I'm now preparing the plots for planting them out over the next few weeks.

Hope you are enjoying this, whereever you are :)

NightHawk

Re: Beautiful weather!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 02:51:05 PM »
Beautiful weather indeed George.

Even hotter here than yesterday.  It's about 25 deg. C at the moment.  Although our grass needs cutting it's just too hot to do it.

Went for a short walk this morning, under the trees it was more comfortable with plenty of dappled shade.  Back out into the sun and it was stiflingly hot.

This hot and it just saps my strength.  Much prefer cooler weather for gardening.  The plants (and weeds of course) love it.

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 03:36:46 PM »
For me, its light gardening and odd jobs during the day when its like this Laurie and heavier jobs in the evening. Long May it continue (June, July, August ;D)
Loving it!

RE:
This hot and it just saps my strength.
Me too. I dont know how they cope with physical work in REALLY hot countries
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 03:38:20 PM by ideasguy »

NightHawk

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 04:17:09 PM »
I think it's because we just don't get enough consistent hot weather George.

If we got these hot temperatures on a regular basis, maybe we would get more acclimatised to it and be able to cope better.

Wherever possible, we do our gardening earlyish morning before it gets too hot, or early evening when it's starting to cool down.

Don't know how long it's going to last though.

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 11:00:12 PM »
Morning is computer time for me Laurie, mostly well into the afternoon as well, but with this weather I'm out ASAP.  Just in from the garden at 10:45, watering plants came last and right up to dark. Time for a nice refreshing shower :)

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 11:21:16 PM »
Lovely weather here too, George. The car thermometer said 28 degrees when we got in it at lunch time  ::) but that was probably because it had been standing in the sun. Having driven a couple of miles it showed 25 degrees, but still a respectable temperature.

Unfortunately we have a hosepipe ban  :( so each evening I am having to fill the watering can ten times and walk, can in one hand and walking stick in the other making sure our newly planted out runner beans, outdoor tomatoes, sweet peas, rocket and lettuce don't dry out. They were propagated by Anthea in the greenhouse but it is my responsibility to see they survive now  :)

We are now at an age that we can't get by without a little occasional help. Our chap Ian came yesterday but after a couple of hours completely succumbed to the heat. In fact it made him physically sick. He had to lie down in our summer house to recuperate.

In another post I mentioned that the heat is encouraging unwanted blanket weed and duckweed to grow on our ponds almost as you watch it. I had another session removing it with my newly made long handled net.

Eric
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 11:23:35 PM by Eric Hardy »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 07:25:55 PM »
Its pretty bad when the younger folk succumb to the heat Eric.

What are the rules in relation to the hosepipe ban? I presume having read your posting that its OK to carry water, but being sensible (and again I'm presuming the hosepipe ban means you cant leave the hose pipe attached to a sprinkler and leave it unattended) is it not permissable to run the hose up to the plants for a manual application?
No hose pipe ban here, mercifully.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 07:29:27 PM by ideasguy »