Author Topic: Cuckoos and Bluebells abound  (Read 2775 times)

NightHawk

Cuckoos and Bluebells abound
« on: May 22, 2012, 05:07:43 PM »
A bit quiet on the gardening front at the moment, so decided to share our other outdoor activities.

Over the past few days we've been to various parts of the New Forest for our walks and Geocaching hobby.

Particularly around the areas of King's Hat and Rans Wood in Beaulieu and Acres Down in Lyndhurst, we've heard several Cuckoos calling for mates.  We've not seen any, just heard them.  When we were at King's Hat we heard the calls either side of us at the same time, so we knew there were at least two of them calling to each other.
No doubt getting ready to pair up and steal another birds' nest to have their young raised by unsuspecting surrogates.

Carpets of Bluebells are a wonderful sight to behold, spread throughout the whole of the Forest at the moment.

Today has been an exceptionally hot day - 22 deg. C.  A bit of a breeze but sunny and dry all day.  Thank goodness for air-con in the car, we'd have been melting otherwise.  Our little Yorkie comes along with us to help us find the 'cache stashes'.  She's like the energiser bunny - for such a small dog you would think she'd tire easily, but noooooooo!  Kathy and I are flagging first and yet she just keeps going, and going, and going ..........  ;D

We've just hidden our first two geocaches in the area.  They are near to a couple of very quaint and beautiful churches, commonly referred to as "Church Micros".  Although not actually hidden within the church grounds itself, they get that name because of the close proximity of where you hide your cache.  We created a few puzzles that had to be solved to get the final coordinates to enter into their handheld GPS receivers, guiding them to the hidden cache.

They were published on the geocaching.com web site for people to find and so far we've had some great feedback from people who have found them already, and enjoyed the challenges.

As Kathy's feet problem is so much better now, we're getting out for walks every day.  Keeping fit and enjoying our beautiful area.

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Cuckoos and Bluebells abound
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 10:57:08 PM »
Nice to hear that you are very much loving your new location, Kathy and Laurie and its really good that you both share similar interests.

I was discussing GPS with the Grounds manager of Greenmount Agricultural College (Antrim, N Ireland) in relation to charting tree positions in the campus with a view to entry to Ideas Genie Pro.
I may be calling on your expertise. Does it work OK under trees?

We are having beautiful weather here as well, Laurie, but not as hot as you in the South Coast of England (lucky you!).
We were in England last week (Northampton) and the weather was noticeably warmer than back home - that few degrees makes a big difference, and it would make a big difference to the performance of garden plants. Some of my perennials are frustratingly slow this year.

NightHawk

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 11:23:27 PM »
Regarding the GPS George - YES they work under trees - with a caveat.

The key fact is that the better quality GPS receivers, and hence the more expensive ones, you get a much more sensitive aerial.  This means you get more satellites being acquired by the unit, pulling in the signals under trees, giving a very accurate position.

The unit I have is a Garmin GPSMAP 62s and Kathy has a Garmin Oregon 550t.  Both have very sensitive aerials and we've never had any problems finding our hidden Geocaches in the Forest - under very dense tree cover a lot of the time.

If you're not going to be using the unit in this type of environment, then the cheaper models are still very good.  The GPS I had previously was a Garmin e-Trex Summit HC.  Not so good under dense tree cover (although the blurb about it says it is  ::) ) but otherwise reliable.

Laurie.

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 06:08:19 PM »
I am glad you have nice surroundings in your new home, Kathy & Laurie, Hot here too, lovely bluebells in our beechwoods as well but no cuckoo that I have heard, but then I am a bit deaf  :( . I think I almost understand what your leisure activity is but please tell an old man what a GPS unit is. Are we talking satnavs?

Our sudden warm spell has caused unwanted blanket weed and duckweed to start spreading quickly on our two little ponds. I made myself a net on a pole with a 10 ft reach so I can remove anything floating without falling in  ;). I have been using it intensively todaay.

NightHawk

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 09:11:46 PM »
I think I almost understand what your leisure activity is but please tell an old man what a GPS unit is. Are we talking satnavs?
Yes Eric.  SatNavs are the units for cars to get you around roads.  GPS units are handheld versions of those, which help to navigate you off-road through forests, public footpaths/bridleways, whether you're walking or can be attached to pedal cycles.

Laurie.