Author Topic: Crisis week  (Read 3589 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Crisis week
« on: April 26, 2012, 11:05:52 PM »
My nephew runs this business:
http://www.tennisfundamentals.com
On Saturday, he was at the courts and ready to start a game of tennis. The rain came on and he ran back to the car for a brolly. He slipped and fell and sustained a very bad break to his elbow (and cuts to his face).
The bones were broken in so many places he had to have surgery on Monday.
Two metal plates inserted to make a cage and the pieces fastened to the cage, acting as a retainer.
The x-ray is an incredible and scary sight!
The latest news is that the surgeons are pleased with the op, and have told him he has an elbow again! Its his left arm. He is right handed so he hopes to be able to play and coach again.
He was released from hospital today.

Its his busy week for his business. The courses start next week. Players bookings coming in from the internet and through the post needing to be processed.
I wrote his business administration software, so Ive been working flat out all week helping his staff get through the workload.
The on-line booking system is new this year. Ive written the software to download the bookings (from an SQL database) and to integrate that system to the main desktop admin software, where classes are organised, coaches assigned etc.

Needless to say I haven't had much time to spend on the forum this week. Hopefully the pressure will ease off next week.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 11:15:33 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Jacquiht

Re: Crisis week
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 11:19:07 PM »
So sorry to hear about your nephew and what a week for you.  I thought it was strange that you weren't online!
My week consisted of my laptop having a complete breakdown (blue screen) that it had to be sent back under warranty and I received it back this afternoon.  I now have to set it up and re-load every single programme I had installed, including Genie, but I have managed to get onto the internet.  I just hope my backups all work!
Hope you have an easier week this coming week.  Mind that rain...........

NightHawk

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 08:08:12 AM »
Very shocked to read that George, what incredible misfortune  :o  We hope he makes a speedy recovery, so please pass on Kathy's and my best wishes.

There must be relief all around that you were able to step in and help out with the business tasks, relieving much of the additional stress.

It just goes to prove how easy terrible accidents can happen.

Jacqui - as regards your computer woes - been there, done that.  I know how frustrating a computer crash can be and the process afterwards to get all your software up and running again and configure the computer to your own liking.  Good luck with that.

Laurie.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 10:49:39 AM »
Sorry to hear that G. Hope it all works out well for him.
When one of our machines went awol we had to find a program to recover all the data on the machine's hard drive as we had no back ups for it. Now we back up to an external drive every week.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 11:44:07 AM »
Thanks for the good wishes everyone!

Hes up and at the computer this morning with his Dad.
Arm heavily bandaged, but no plaster :o
Its like that so the elbow doesn't lock up, and he has to do physio exercises.
He has to carry the left arm around at this stage, but its great that he is able to do anything!

I'm working on his software today, adding a new feature.

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 10:37:09 AM »
I have just tuned in to this, What terribly bad luck for your nephew. Good old Uncle George, you spend your life sorting other people's computer programme problems  :)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 03:41:23 PM »
A friend in need ;D

Somehow  ::) we managed to get the tennis classes organised and coaches assigned for the first week, which starts tomorrow. Brians dad Alan (my sisters husband) has been helping Brian for years and knew the way the business ran, so together we managed surprisingly well. In addition to the new programs I had written and was "commissioning"  I had to do a rapid refresher on the other programs in the system I wrote for his business - in very much the live environment!
Brian was on hand after release from hospital to make the important decisions. On Saturday, he was able to work for short periods on the computer with his left arm resting on a pillow!

We are all enjoying a day of rest today :)

Offline Jacquiht

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 04:10:56 PM »
Sounds very much as though you deserve the rest and an extra "cuppa" (add a biscuit to that!!)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 04:49:24 PM »
Its a case of a change is as good as a rest Jacqui. I'm in the greenhouse pricking out seedlings!
Looks like I could do with a polytunnel - large at that! I try to grow all that germinates  ::) the extras for my friends and family. I wonder - do any of our members have the heart to prick out a few dozen and discard the remainder?
Its 8 degrees here today and a bitterly cold wind!

Offline Palustris

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 08:17:24 PM »
There is a simple rule. If you pricks out just the ones you want, they all die. If you prick out all the ones which germinate, they all live.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 09:53:16 PM »
That could be a crisis season! I'll keep to my usual prick them all out method!