Author Topic: Titanic 100th Anniversary  (Read 2963 times)

NightHawk

Titanic 100th Anniversary
« on: April 10, 2012, 05:01:42 PM »
Kathy and I went to Southampton today to join the ceremony marking the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the R.M.S. Titanic, 15th April 1912.  We took up position at the quayside in Hythe, looking across to the dock where Titanic sailed from 100 years to the day at 12 noon on 10th April 1912.

Despite the sunshine it was bitterly cold.  We watched the boats sailing from the same dock marking the occasion of Titanic's first, and last, departure to sea.  The boats sounded their horns and sirens at 12 noon, making this quite a moving experience.

The photos I took, and resized for the Forum, don't convey the impact of the occasion.  You had to be there to fully appreciate the event.

Photo 1:  12 noon.  The rear view of our 100th Anniversary commemorative coin to mark our attendance.

Photo 2:  12 noon.  The front view of our 100th Anniversary commemorative coin to mark our attendance.

Photo 3:  Boats set sail as the Titanic would have done 100 years to the time and day.

Photo 4:  A fire boat, with hoses spraying water into the air, brings up the rear as the boats leave the dock.

(The little black speck at the top of the photo is a BBC News helicopter covering the event).

Photo 5:  The Titanic 100th Anniversary coin.

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Titanic 100th Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 10:40:41 PM »
Thanks for posting those photos Laurie. A very nostalgic event, that's for sure.
Personally, my thoughts go to those who perished and their loved ones left to grieve. The stories coming to the fore are sad and heart rending. Recounted acts of bravery and dignity in the face of the inevitable.

Nearer, My God, to Thee - Oh God Our Help in Ages Past and Abide with me will forever be my memories of the Titanic and all who sailed in her.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/9188607/Titanic-the-Band-Played-On-Yesterday-channel-preview.html
They are especially memorative. My mother was born in 1912 - two months before Titanic set sail. She loved to sing, and those hymns were the mainstay of her repertoire.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 06:40:35 PM by ideasguy »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Titanic 100th Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 06:54:42 PM »
Its 100 years ago today since that fateful event.

The TV and radio coverage is very good, covering the facts surrounding the catastrophe. Many stories of heros and villians, reputations tarnished forever (in some cases wrongly) and what might have been.