Author Topic: Sharing a thought - Count your blessings  (Read 2487 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Sharing a thought - Count your blessings
« on: February 19, 2012, 10:30:39 AM »
I received this email from Jessie yesterday with the subject - Sharing a thought.

Jessie lives in Singapore and speaks English and Mandarin (Chinese) and local chinese dialects.

We have corresponded frequently since Ideas Genie was introduced, and Ive always remarked how beauifully she expressed things!
I'm sure you've noticed that many things are lost in translations. Jessie's are quite the opposite - or perhaps the original thought are sheer poetry?

The other thing is how much Jessie feels so strongly about nature and the environment.

OK, on to yesterdays email - judge for yourself :)

18th Feb 2012
Just got back from Bahrain, after visiting the job site on the island of Amwaj.
Bahrain is about the same size as Singapore.  Amwaj is similar to our Sentosa Island.
Similarity is both are reclaiming and expanding land space.
Different is , Amwaj is sand and water and devoid of anything swimming and flying and walking,except human. 
Singapore is soil and water and weeds are claiming their territory, before Man, the ever controlling beings, pull them out and put in others to attract other living things.
Bahrain is trying to establish as a “happening hub” where the hinterlands MiddleEasterns disrobe their White Thobe,ghutra and agal for Guys and Black Abaya and boshya for Ladies and wear their latest Parisian fashion.  Ladies are seen working in offices,  with their traditional abaya and headscarf on, without their veils, as compared with Saudi where no women step foot into any of the offices.
The whole island is surrounded by water, waterway for yachts, inland lake.  It takes me a while to realize what is missing.. it’s the chirping of the birds, the trees, the flowers and insects ! Pathetically, it’s a place where no birds  lay their eggs.
My hotel room of BD 162 per night was upgraded to a Villa of 4 levels with private swimming pool, next to the lake, full kitchen, guard house, maids room, internal lift, big rooms facing the lake on every level – sound so ideal.
I am so used to be woken up by the lone and loud  Koel at 6 a.m. where alarm clock is rendered unnecessary, followed by mynas that held their conference at 7a.m, oriole with his shrill announcement   at 8 am ,swiftlets at 9am. And occasional group of quarrelling white parrots and the squirrels that disturb the peace of all.  Kingfisher, occasionally will join in the party. If it rains in the day, then there will be a symphony of toads choir that put me to sleep..
I awoke at 5a.m., sun was up early in the late Winter months. Not a sound, not even a cicada. Everything was still, if one do not move, time seemed to stand still.
When I got home, I noticed that my planters were umkempt and overgrown with weeds and everything and my rose plants were overwhelmed with weeds, which were once beautiful potted plants that grown wild  due to neglect.
I lovingly touched and talked to them and couldnot bare to weed them out.  All are growing so healthily by themselves, stretching to the sun and drinking in the dew and in turn cleanse the  air.

Read about the neighbour, Qatari, who is  pouring  money into their backyard to  to grow their own vegetables and fruits on the desert land.   They have all the money to buy foreign land to produce foods to cater to their needs and more than enough to feed the million people on their land.
Then why are they still trying to use the precious water they have to grow their greens and flowers in their backyard?
With all the money, nothing beats the joy of seeing the flowers and fruits growing in your own backyard, with the visits of the birds and insects.
We count our blessing to be living in green spaces.  Every little warp or bee that comes a visiting is a blessing.  With birds and butterflies are bonuses.
Cheers and God Blessing us All – every living things on Earth.
Jessie

Offline Jacquiht

Re: Sharing a thought - Count your blessings
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 11:18:04 AM »
Beautiful.

NightHawk

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 02:47:24 PM »
Thank you for posting that George.

Sadly, we don't hear enough from Jessie on the Forum, and from the content of that email it is a big shame  :'(

Makes you really appreciate your own wonderful surroundings though.

Kathy and I are certainly blessed to be living in the New Forest, with all its abundant and beautiful flora and fauna all around us.

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 03:09:19 PM »
Beautiful sentiments indeed Jacqui, from a very kind lady who is at one with nature.
I should have said that I asked Jessie for permission before posting.

Jessie does visit the forum from time to time Laurie (certainly every time I broadcast a message).
Lets hope she will look in on this topic. Ive sent her an email with a link.

I happen to know she is especially fond of trees in particular.
She once sent me a book - Trees of our Garden City - A Guide to the Common Trees of Singapore Editors Tee Swee Ping and Wee Mei Lynn and a list of contributors.
Its very much treasured Jessie and was in easy reach on my bookcase in my office when posting this reply.