Author Topic: Garden News  (Read 3400 times)

Offline Jacquiht

Garden News
« on: February 17, 2012, 08:23:18 PM »
I have an annual subscription to Garden News, which is in a newspaper format.  I have just been sent a trial copy of their new format which is to be in the form of a magazine.  Has anybody else received this and do you think it is a better format (like me)? 

Ive edited this message to broadcast it to all members Jacqui.
Hope you dont mind.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 10:51:47 PM by ideasguy »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Garden News
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 10:47:51 PM »
That's interesting Jacqui. I don't have a subscription, but I can buy it in Sainsburys. I'll look out for it next time we go shopping there.

We are very fortunate to have Chrissie Harten as a member of our forum (username= The Gardener).
Chrissie has a regular column in Garden News. Look it up Jacqui!
If you need some inspiration, visit Chrissies website:
http://www.thegardener.btinternet.co.uk/
Chrissie is an expert and judge in both Gardening and Flower Arranging 8)
Ive broadcast this message. Hopefully she will grace us with a visit.

Offline Martin Froggatt

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 08:05:52 AM »
I used to subscribe to GN years ago. Sadly, when Geoffrey Smith stopped writing his regular column, there was nothing much left to interest me. I shall have a look in the newsagents this morning for a copy of the new format GN.
A different publication I know, but, if you are a member of the RHS, what do folks think about the new format of "The Garden". I don't like it at all, it seems to have become dumbed down. Maybe its just me getting old..

Martin

Offline Jacquiht

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 08:43:36 AM »
Sorry if I've misled everybody, the new format is not in publication yet; this was just a trial copy to see how subscribers feel about it.  Hopefully it will be on general release soon though.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 11:59:40 AM »
We will look out for it hitting the shelves Jacqui.
I never throw Garden Magazines out. Do you?
I have my previous copies stored away, so plenty to use as comparison :)

My day job was here up until June 09 (Software Developer of course - business software).
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/
The Belfast Telegraph was broadsheet when I joined. Great for spreading out on a table when looking through the ads, jobs etc. (Great for dog houses etc when read as well ;D)
Someone had the whiz idea to go tabloid size (the size of the Daily Mirror etc)
It had a mixed receptionby the public, but having gone through a massive change (my colleagues were busy) to make the changeover, they stayed with it.

Offline The Gardener

• Plantaholic
    • «« A FLOWER ARRANGER'S GARDEN - FLOWER ARRANGING AND GARDENING »»
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 05:42:02 PM »
Hi all!  Well, that's news to me!  I get a copy of the paper every week (as a contributor), and my copy last week was the usual newspaper size.  I haven't had this week's yet - maybe it will be the new format!  I'd like to see what it looks like  :)

Offline Jacquiht

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 05:46:02 PM »
The copy I talked about was a "trial" version and as yet is not published generally but hopefully soon!

Offline The Gardener

• Plantaholic
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 06:48:09 PM »
Hi Jacqui!  Yes, I understand that it's a trial version, but I was hoping they might have sent me a trial copy to have a look at ;)  What do you think of the new version?  Do you like it better than the newspaper format?

Offline Jacquiht

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 06:53:52 PM »
Hi - strange that you didn't also get a copy if you are a contributor.  I found it much better as the colour for the plants etc was far more realistic and also the print doesn't come off on your hands.  I have actually read every single page instead of just flicking through and seeing what interested me. (I also read your article!!)  Also in this format it will be much easier to store. 

Offline The Gardener

• Plantaholic
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 07:15:15 PM »
Hi Jacquie
I do get a copy of the paper each week, but so far, only the newspaper version.  I remember sometime last year, I think, (or maybe the year before - time flies!) they trialled some glossy pages in the paper to see what people thought, and the quality of the print was much better.  I think it would be good if they were a magazine, but maybe being a newspaper is a bit different from everyone else, after all, there are loads of gardening magazines on offer.  Still, they must be thinking seriously about changing the format, or they wouldn't be going to all that trouble!
Chrissie

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 04:46:55 PM »
I'm delighted to see you visiting Chrissie! I'm sure you are kept busy thinking up material for your column each week in Garden News.
I bought a copy of Garden News yesterday and had a look over it last night and read over your page.
The edition was concentrating on green plants, and your article had the title Heavenly Hellebores.
You mentioned that you had lots of different varieties! I have a few and will now look for some of the others you have mentioned.

I don't think I mentioned this before, but every time I read your column I get introduced to yet another new plant! Many thanks for that!